About cruise control, here's an idea that makes sense

Cruise control is great except you can't swivel the camera when it's on with a controller because focus stays on gear lever.

If cruise control could be deactivated by blipping the brakes like in a real car/truck, then you could just activate it, then click the gear lever back out of focus and use the camera while using cruise control.

Loving the game so far

i disagree. i play on key board/pc and drive with force accel (cruise control) all the time. i would hate to have it constantly turning off whenever i brake check my speed in gear 1+ or when changing from reverse to gear 1 or the like. right now there is no brakes at all with it turned on when i have driven the bigger trucks (uaz and car seem to be working though). this feature was in the game since the original release and it is there so key board users can have throttle control. personally i dislike this calling it "cruise control" since does not hold a set speed like a cruise control does. it is actually a throttle control to hold a set throttle position, but so much for that since cruise control is the name of it in game now.

last edited by A Former User

PieceKeeper is right, the fact you cant change camera while using it sucks. They should add button to activate that and leave your camera free. This game lacks so many so easily implementable functions like on/off options for many things and key bindings...

I agree with the original post. If you play on console it might be different from those on pc. Console users are forced to lock the camera position if they want to use cruise control.
It's not game breaking but it would be sweet to be able to set the idle speed and still have a fully functioning camera.
+1

@8up-local said in About cruise control, here's an idea that makes sense:

i disagree. i play on key board/pc and drive with force accel (cruise control) all the time. i would hate to have it constantly turning off whenever i brake check my speed in gear 1+ or when changing from reverse to gear 1 or the like. right now there is no brakes at all with it turned on when i have driven the bigger trucks (uaz and car seem to be working though). this feature was in the game since the original release and it is there so key board users can have throttle control. personally i dislike this calling it "cruise control" since does not hold a set speed like a cruise control does. it is actually a throttle control to hold a set throttle position, but so much for that since cruise control is the name of it in game now.

Yeah, it's more what you find on tractors than say a civilian car.

I had no idea there was this feature in the original game and I have 100+ hours in it. You learn something new everyday.

In other news, I don't want it to turn off when changing gears, just when blipping the brakes.

If they could find another solution that would allow the camera to be functional with automatic throttle it would be great, ESPECIALLY in cockpit cam where you can't even turn your head without changing gears.

Maybe even just pull the gear lever back out of focus after a few seconds of driving.

last edited by PieceKeeper

@crunky-trunks it is the same for PC, when it is turned on it locks out the camera. which is why spintires plus was so nice, because it would give unlimited zoom to zoom out to see over the truck or you could use the shift key with the camera keys and it would set the camera on the opposite side of the truck. again though if hitting the brakes turns it off, that does not help those who use it like i do. i "blip" the brakes to keep my speed in check when turning at speed in gear 1+. to avoid clipping trees for example.

maybe if they could set it up so you need to use a 2 button configuration for controller, say you hold the camera button (D-pad on controller) and then hit another button to switch around could work though i figure.

maybe if they could set it up so you need to use a 2 button configuration for controller, say you hold the camera button (D-pad on controller) and then hit another button to switch around could work though i figure.

2 buttons is interesting. I like that idea.

I think blipping the brakes while the right thumbstick is clicked down to turn it off would work well.

@piecekeeper but once it is on to click the right stick will turn it off anyway.

@piecekeeper but once it is on to click the right stick will turn it off anyway.

And that's exactly the problem. I want to click the gear lever back out of focus to use the camera while on cruise control. In case it's not clear enough for everyone to understand, I'm gonna cliff.

At the moment here are your two options :

1. Use cruise control, lose camera.
  2. Use camera no cruise control.

Suggestion I made :

Let's have the brakes turn it off instead like an actual car/truck.

People said : I use the brakes to regulate my speed while on cruise control (which I think is fair), maybe a two button combination to turn off cruise control would be great?

So I said yes it would be great actually.

So let's say they did my suggestion, meaning you click down and hold, cruise control turns on gear lever comes into focus, you click again gear lever goes out of focus and suddenly you're on cruise control and looking around at the same time doing the work, and doing it well.

The two button combination is this : If the right thumbstick is clicked down WHILE hitting the brakes, or you click the stick and while it's down hit the brakes, cruise control turns off.

That would mean you can still use the brakes without shutting down cruise control, and could use cruise control with camera at the same time. The fact that it doesn't matter whether the brakes or thumbstick is pressed first means you can react to unforseen consequences by hitting the brakes hard to stop the truck, and once you're stopped on the verge of disaster, click the right thumbstick to turn off cruise control. Want to turn off CC without stopping? Press right stick first then blip the brakes not enough to stop and CC is off and you did not lose any momentum.

Better?

Actually we're way overthinking this. Well, I am.

You already have to hold down the thumbstick for a second to activate it, you should have to hold it down for a second to turn it off as well. Short click just puts the gear lever out of focus so you can play around with the camera.

This would really be ideal.

My suggestion: change the interface so that the camera is always active when you hold down the right mouse button -- no need to click, no way to accidentally go into cockpit view yet again, release the button and you're back in cruise. Simple, does away with much annoyance. (Not sure how this would work with gamepads.)