POLL: IMMERSIVE CLAN SYSTEN

Clan System, Clan Matches, Leaderboards, Clan Management and Tournaments. Would you like to have these following features in game?

Share you opinion here: https://strawpoll.com/9529srcr

Thanks for partecipating!

It doesn't need to be built into the game or maintained by the publisher, in fact a wholly community run system is likely to be ways better. The idea brings me back to the (good/bad/different) old days of Quake (the original) clans and clan matches.

Our "clan" (group, whatever) had access to a computer training classroom at nights&weekends so we obviously had superior communication by virtue of being all in the same room (this was before Teamspeak and in any case same room is better than VOIP).

There's probably some sort of spaghetti horror written in PHP for this already somewhere but it shouldn't take too much effort to build a simple first version with Django (Python being my language of choice for a whole bunch of reasons)

I'm surprised that so many in the Poll don't want Clan System features in Sandstorm.

Our online PS4 War Clan won't even consider buying Sandstorm if it's a little co-op game or only 5 vs 5 game rooms. When you have well over 100+ members in your Clan... these types of little online games won't get a second look by us.

A game developer can make a game to sell one copy just to me... or 200+ copies to each member in my entire War Clan.

200x30USD is 6k, it won't pay a tiny fraction of developing, maintaining and supporting such system.

Sure, if for every current player there would 200 lining up to buy immediately if there just was a "clan system", then it could make sense to develop one (but let's be realistic). Also not everyone is going to agree on how exactly it should be implemented.

So again; do it "by the community for the community" -style, if people disagree strongly on the system used in one "clan league" they can start their own (with "blackjack and hookers" as Bender would say).

@mashiara said in POLL: IMMERSIVE CLAN SYSTEN:

200x30USD is 6k, it won't pay a tiny fraction of developing, maintaining and supporting such system.

Sure, if for every current player there would 200 lining up to buy immediately if there just was a "clan system", then it could make sense to develop one (but let's be realistic). Also not everyone is going to agree on how exactly it should be implemented.

So again; do it "by the community for the community" -style, if people disagree strongly on the system used in one "clan league" they can start their own (with "blackjack and hookers" as Bender would say).

Are you like 8 years old? Do you have any comprehension how a Clan Supported game works? 6k?

Clan Supported games support 8 vs 8, 16 vs 16, 24 vs 24, 32 vs 32 or 64 vs 64 player game rooms. Look at the old SOCOM games. Or Battlefield 3. Or Battlefield 4... whatever.

You need to get a clue kid. Your post makes no sense.

My point was that 200 people is worth just about nothing in the grand scheme of thing. As such "your war clan" isn't a valid business reason to do anything.

Of course there might be 20k people "just waiting for a clan system" which is a wholly different thing (though 600k doesn't buy too many man-years either).

We can ignore the large rooms for the moment, everything in the game is built for squad-level CQB. It would take redesigning everything to support large scale battles (probably tens of man-years of work). Also there are already games that do it, it's not easy to try to get into their market. Maybe they're more arcadey run and gun instead of realistic tactical action but a whole lot of people do not really want realistic action (or ArmA would have the player populations of BF4)

As for "kid", as stated above: Having played clan matches at the time of the original Quake, before TeamSpeak even existed, these did not give any hints to the timeline ? Quake was published 1996 and TeamSpeak 2001, which places those clan leagues to the late 90s, slightly over 20 years ago. Sure we were teenagers back then (as if anyone studying seriously or working for a living could have played video games all night almost every day) but it's been a while... I may be out of touch though but ad-hominems don't really help your cause any.

But for clan leagues, those definitely can be done unofficially by the community. It's been done 20 years ago and everything related to building something like that has only gotten easier since then.

Hell, CS:GO has 5 man teams (fireteam instead of squad), and it definitely has built some serious "clan leagues" (of course it's called eSports these days but it too started small and unofficial)...

I feel like what you're asking is much more nuanced than a simple yes/no poll.

In regards to clan matches, we have ranked competitive. There's nothing stopping a clan from hosting a community server and using it to train, or partying up in a squad, and joining a match.

I guess the only other thing that might be pretty easy to add is an option to add a small clan tag in customization or settings. Something similar to COD or HALO where you can just type a small tag that precedes your player name or something.

Other than that, Competitive's numbers are already fairly telling. There just isn't a whole lot of interest for it. Most players happy doing casual coop or PVP.

No you don't have ranked competitive at the moment, that's a false statement. Ranked competitive isn't a placement in silver or gold, seriously, ranked competitive in "real" terms is a placement of the individual or team in a ladder. These kind of systems was the foundation of e-esport and clan-play back in the days ran by 3rd parties such as ESL,CLANBASE,CPL etc. The main difference with many of today's games is that today games are so locked down that organizing something 3rd-party-wise is simply impossible in most games. Server-files, tools etc are never released, and such you're stuck with the features the devs make which today tends to be locked down. (you can't access console, reconnect, host etc)

I come from playing competitive 5v5 clan-wise in several games and we really enjoy the experimental 5v5 mode that Insurgency offers. It's an untapped area of competitive which has very little competition and could really become something. I didn't think it would work or that I would enjoy it in a game like INS, but it really does work. If you're 100+ man organisations and doesn't care bout it then fine, but those who enjoy 5v5 probably don't care about you either because 100+ servers isn't what they're hunting for, I don't see how the regular modes has anything to do with this and it's a bad idea to even compare them.

Fact remains that if you can have a core audience that keep coming back and enjoys the game, your game will live longer, and in such the competitive has been one of the strongest reasons for people to stay in games next to modding. Beyond that you've niche games like mili-sims and semi-sims like Insurgency which attracts a niche type of player audience due to being somewhat realistic, so that in itself keeps players coming back.

A robust competitive mode for teams would only benefit the game at make it attractive to a whole other audience. I'm personally playing a lot of mili-sims and enjoy realistic games like Ins whenevering im not in arcade-mood, but that's games I usually have to enjoy with like-minded. Many of my 5v5-esc clan mates don't usually play games like Ins, yet almost all of them bought Insurgency and enjoy the clan-aspect and scrim feeling you get out of the competitive 5v5. It's just a shame to leave it where it is when it can become so much more. We play nothing but the 5v5 and thats from someone with over 300+ hours in Ins-source regular modes, I just found another game with potential to become something competitively, and thats more attractive for me in Ins now than mayhem in big servers. For my war-fix i can enjoy other games or the regular modes, but competitive could surely be something on it's own in this game.

We have profile stats.
They can be displayed on a leader board.
Individual stats can be grouped into teams for a team leader board.

In terms of competition etc community run leagues are best doing that and NWI can support them if they choose.