Console is going to die without mods

@clarionhorn said in Console is going to die without mods:

consoles is mainly to fund and support the game. the people playing games like this on consoles are going to play for 2 hours and put it away. the reality is, porting to consoles has always been a financially motivated decision. the devs need more money which can be used to further develop the game. maybe they will create more content for consoles in the future as well.

While I don't own it on console, I really hope they do continue to support (no reason to doubt) and add mod and map support as well. Otherwise, I'm afraid you're probably right about how long anyone is going to want to play vanilla Mudrunner.

Can't see any good reason to go emotional here. Please stay calm and open for discussion - discussion means listen to points of your oponent too.

I seriously doubt about any attempt from DEVs to "punish" console users by restriction of modding. Its just native function of PC to be MOD-friendly and opposite for console.

I never was a console user, but based on what I catched on the internet:
There are some "certifying procedures" that mod (any content) on console have to go thru. If nothing else, that brings complications on its own.
Technically it is not that simple as "copy PC mod into console" and voila...! There are some differences! As you may know, games for any console can't run on PC and otherwise.

This is price that console pays for its "simple to use" approach.
Console is just another computer, just with unified HW, SW and as such it demands specific approach from provider of content (any).

But my knowledge on this is a bit vague, so correct me if I've done some mistake πŸ™‚

last edited by Sodoma

@NA SHLEDANOU

Oh dude PLS dont tell me you said that 4 real. "... and after that the pc modders would put the mods on a app on a computer that puts the files in the game..."
They can also do that themselves.

Saved on the hardware and still want to play with the big one?
Is the same as with his stock Trabant to participate in a race and then demand that the opponent starts without gasoline.

@Sodoma

No you are right. A Console is just a LowSpec PC. (you want a cheap Ready2Rund build for gaming get a Console.)

last edited by CheckMyPixel

As an Xbox player I don't think that the console version will die without mods, but I hope that the dev. team won't abandon the game and will release many content DLCs for Mudrunner in the following years.

Maybe they could integrate the best quality and most popular PC mods into DLCs too - of course with all the necessary legal actions between devs and modders. For every game there are some mods that are as good quality as official content - for mods like this I'm willing to pay for. (Official quality: detailed and complete 3D model and high res. texturing, all game features are working without glitches - like animations, dirt build-up, etc, has its own engine sound samples and own physics parameters.)

It would be awesome if the dev. team would stick around Mudrunner for a while making new content before starting to make a new game.

@redriot Well said without any demand.

Yeah hope this will be the way to put well balanced and some fun vehicles as DLC out for you guys.

No worrys on MudRunner cause Spintires has/had a great community.

@checkmypixel There is a game called Automation (car company simulator). It's not released yet but I follow the making progress of the game. The developers of the game - a small crew similar to the SpinTires team - took the help of the community and the best mods will be included in the full release. Even now there are some really good looking cars made by modders built into the pre-release version.

So I guess there must be a way to transform the very best mods into official content in the case of Mudrunner too.

When both sides - modder and developer - agreed, why not?
But still, there is question of design ownership. When you make some existing car (IMHO only suiting this game) there is some company, that owns that design. Therefore there are those "modified grills" on all stock trucks...

@sodoma Well, I haven't thought about that but maybe there is a work-around for that. The modders could make some changes on the original vehicle designs. For example a nice Mercedes Unimog appears on a PC mod website - the devs test it and contact the maker of the mod: "We would like to include your mod in our upcoming DLC - but please make a different front panel and radiator grille for the truck - similar to the stock trucks in the base game." Or something like that. πŸ™‚

If they can have mods for Skyrim, why not this?

As a point, nobody has said that they can't have mods on console. Just that there are no current plans.

@redriot Yeah, that is the way I think may happend. But still, that presume that mod is finished, packed and will not be modified in future. On ST mods, there were lot of constantly changed and modified and improved or "improved" mods, so...
Lets keep that, this is not so easy πŸ˜ƒ

@kourtjestr ok it's not that your wrong because you're right but tell me the cost difference if you want to get a halfway decent gaming PC I would go as far as to say it's about 200 dollars more

Right now, there no MudRunner servers for anything -- not for multiplayer, not for mods. The game is using existing infrastructure for multiplayer matchmaking and Steam Workshop for mods. Now, it makes no sense to have three different mod ecosystems; but consoles can't access SteamWorkshop, so the devs would need to set up and run a mod server, and they would need to make their own code to administer it (that's built into the Steam API right now, so it comes pre-built). Is that worth the cost?

@block_party I never said they were cost comparable. But I built a very decent gaming rig around $500, which lets me play a much larger variety of games. That said, I'm not here to have a console vs PC war. I don't care what you want to play on. I simply stated that you get far more modding potential in a PC and that it might be worth looking into if that's your thing.

Other console games have mods, it can't be that hard. Farming simulator 17 a game that was produced by focus home interactive has mod Support on console. I see it a possibility in future. But on launch, maybe a bit more work then they wanted to mess with for sake of releasing game in a timely manner.

I believe farming simulator mod support was always via their own servers, so the situation is different to Spintires.

Hi all!

Quite a discussion going on here - as stated above we currently don't have any set in stone plans for console mods in Spintires: MudRunner. We are exploring our options on how to best handle the situation, and would love to do it in the future, though, as I say, there are no plans confirmed for it to happen.

@iyagovos said in Console is going to die without mods:

Hi all!

Quite a discussion going on here - as stated above we currently don't have any set in stone plans for console mods in Spintires: MudRunner. We are exploring our options on how to best handle the situation, and would love to do it in the future, though, as I say, there are no plans confirmed for it to happen.

Translation: It ain’t happening folks. The best we can hope for is some dlc with various A class modified vehicles or something. Just enjoy hauling logs like myself. At least we ACTUALLY got spintires on console.

last edited by jacobocaj

a business decision is a business decision. let us just be glad that at least the console kid's funding will help further development on pc that might eventually make its way to consoles.