m249 recoil

This is something that really bothers me in this game. The m249 fires the same cartridge as the m4, but the m4, a gun weighing half the weight of the m249, has maybe a quarter of the recoil the m249. This, in my opinion, is one of the worst immersion breakers i've seen in this game. Real life soldiers can fire it full auto while standing and keep all the rounds on target (the gun is heavy so this is impractical, but the recoil is nearly non-existent). I understand there are balancing issues, but this could be offset by a more expensive supply requirement for it, or a further slowing of the playeers speed while carrying it. This was the most obvious, glaring flaw I saw in the game when I first started playing, please fix it. Oh also I just got killed by being hit by a thrown grenade, not the explosion, the impact killed me... that's pretty lame.

The M249 fires from an open bolt - it's not like a rifle. When you pull the trigger, the mass of then entire bolt carrier group slams forward, stripping a round off the belt, chambering and firing it before cycling back into the open position again. I can tell you even dry firing these things can knock you off target when unsupported.

What I've found in game though, is that after those first few rounds, you can pull the gun down and get rounds on target pretty easily from a standing or kneeling position. Its a wild ride, but you can do it. I think it's an accurate representation of the real gun.

last edited by Jarv

@jarv said in m249 recoil:

The M249 fires from an open bolt - it's not like a rifle. When you pull the trigger, the mass of then entire bolt carrier group slams forward, stripping a round off the belt, chambering and firing it before cycling back into the open position again. I can tell you even dry firing these things can knock you off target when unsupported.

What I've found in game though, is that after those first few rounds, you can pull the gun down and get rounds on target pretty easily from a standing or kneeling position. Its a wild ride, but you can do it. I think it's an accurate representation of the real gun.

This is from an M240 that shoots even bigger caliber rounds, a 7.62x51, so please don't mention things you don't understand, trying to prove a point that is not true.

Youtube Video

last edited by Sgt.Kanyo

@sgt-kanyo And at 27 pounds, it's a gun thats a full 10lbs heavier. And did you even watch your own video? The first few rounds push him back before he gets it under control, exactly as I described.
I'm also seeing him shoot from the hip, which lets you absorb the reoil while using the weight of the gun to keep it under control, using tracers to walk your way onto the target. (We're also not seeing effect on target) I'm guessing that's not at all how you're trying to use it in game, where you're probably trying to aim it like a rifle.

I've fired both of these weapons during my own time in the service. I don't know what's so shocking about the concept of open-bolt belt-fed machine guns not being as nimble or precise as a 6lb rifle. The bolt carrier has a lot of mas and slams all over the place as you fire, which amplifies felt recoil especially if you're trying to aim down the sights which show precisely where the gun is pointing. Theres a lot more to how these guns operate than stats on paper (same cartridge+heavier gun=less recoil? No, there's more to it than that!) In Game, you absolutely can fire the M249 effectively from the shoulder at close-ish ranges to snap shoot a sudden enemy if you have to. Aim low and give him a ten round burst while pulling down. You're going to be at a disadvantage, which you should be, but you can do it with even a bit of practice.

The guns are pretty accurately modeled, but the current maps, especially in PvP, don't give many opportunities for the MGs to play to their real-worth strengths.

last edited by Jarv

@jarv said in m249 recoil:

@sgt-kanyo And at 27 pounds, it's a gun thats a full 10lbs heavier. And did you even watch your own video? The first few rounds push him back before he gets it under control, exactly as I described.
I'm also seeing him shoot from the hip, which lets you absorb the reoil while using the weight of the gun to keep it under control, using tracers to walk your way onto the target. (We're also not seeing effect on target) I'm guessing that's not at all how you're trying to use it in game, where you're probably trying to aim it like a rifle.

I've fired both of these weapons during my own time in the service. I don't know what's so shocking about the concept of open-bolt belt-fed machine guns not being as nimble or precise as a 6lb rifle. The bolt carrier has a lot of mas and slams all over the place as you fire, which amplifies felt recoil especially if you're trying to aim down the sights which show precisely where the gun is pointing. Theres a lot more to how these guns operate than stats on paper (same cartridge+heavier gun=less recoil? No, there's more to it than that!) In Game, you absolutely can fire the M249 effectively from the shoulder at close-ish ranges to snap shoot a sudden enemy if you have to. Aim low and give him a ten round burst while pulling down. You're going to be at a disadvantage, which you should be, but you can do it with even a bit of practice.

The guns are pretty accurately modeled, but the current maps, especially in PvP, don't give many opportunities for the MGs to play to their real-worth strengths.

Ok that's it no more replying to you. You sir are just fucking dumb and noone can help you.
I actually edited my first comment to be a bit more civil, but I should have just left it as it is.

I agree with OP the m249 and the pkm recoil are RIDICULOUS.
I'm ok for them to have higher recoil for balance purposes but this is just too much.

m249 had much less recoil in insurgency 2014 and it was just fine.