Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released

I whole heartedly agree. I am developing an open source PHP Sandstorm Admin script and can in no way figure out the correct socket connection parameters for this highly undocumented game server.

It would be nice to abstract out the communication with the server into a simple library, although it'd be a lot of work to make it work in PHP and .NET I assume.

But just having this code available will mean more people adding to it, and less time spent re-learning the lessons that were needed to get this app working, so I'm really hoping @Pointy will hook us up 😃

fingers crossed

doesnt look like pointy is active anymore tho....

I was wondering if there is a way to configure to be used on a remote dedicated server like gameservers.com etc?

Sorry for the lack of responses, I am still alive.

I haven't done anything with Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant in a while, other than fix the known discord bot bug. I have been waiting to see what happens with the game and feedback, bug reports, the latter of which I have had very little.

@danballs said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

I whole heartedly agree. I am developing an open source PHP Sandstorm Admin script and can in no way figure out the correct socket connection parameters for this highly undocumented game server.

What are trying to achieve? I will try and help if I can.

@knownchild said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

I was wondering if there is a way to configure to be used on a remote dedicated server like gameservers.com etc?

It can be used in remote mode to monitor and send Rcon commands, although the Rcon implementation on the server is bugged when sending responses back to the client, it does issue the commands correctly.

@jballou said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

It would be nice to abstract out the communication with the server into a simple library, although it'd be a lot of work to make it work in PHP and .NET I assume.

But just having this code available will mean more people adding to it, and less time spent re-learning the lessons that were needed to get this app working, so I'm really hoping @Pointy will hook us up 😃

I will definitely help you out, if I can, I am just not comfortable with releasing the source publicly because...

• I am a self taught programmer and probably do a lot of things wrong, that would not be good for others to learn from.

• The code is a real mess at the moment, this started out as a personal project to manage a single server and has had various things bolted onto it since release.

Anyway I am hoping that NWI come good and give the coop players a few more things to tweak, so we can play the game how we like, so I can get back to playing it.

Great work mate! I'm currently working on and Android Rcon app and I've got the basics working. I just can't get the server name from the payload. I noticed you parse the server name. Any chance you could let me know how you do it? Thanks.

ps. I'll make my code public soon; I just need to get the UI all sweet 🙂

@tokaitele said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Great work mate! I'm currently working on and Android Rcon app and I've got the basics working. I just can't get the server name from the payload. I noticed you parse the server name. Any chance you could let me know how you do it? Thanks.

ps. I'll make my code public soon; I just need to get the UI all sweet 🙂

I simple query the server using the steam protocol. If you look in the about box there is a link to the code I used as a base.

@owinz said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Thanks for making this... I have a dedicated box running Win10 and Sandstorm w/ you Server Assistant.

Outside friends can connect to the server fine, however any PC inside the local network are unable to. We get the password prompt, but then then the client just sits at a black screen.

In a desperate effort to self debug, I've tried disabling firewalls on both client and server and even setting the server to DMZ on the router, to no avail. I've also tried connecting to the server via the manual IP using the external IP too.

The server hosts other games just fine w/ no connectivity issues.

When a local game client connects (same LAN 192.168.3.x), the log stream just shows the below over and over until a timeout occurs. Any suggestions?

[2018.12.31-16.18.25:529][846]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 192.168.3.108:61074
[2018.12.31-16.18.26:531][905]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 192.168.3.108:61074
[2018.12.31-16.18.27:532][964]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 192.168.3.108:61074
. . .
[2018.12.31-16.18.38:529][612]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 192.168.3.108:61074
[2018.12.31-16.18.39:547][672]LogNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection accepted from: 192.168.3.108:61074

Hey @owinz, previously I had this same error when trying to connect to my own server run on my computer using the in-game server browser, my game client sat at a black screen, and that same line kept appearing in the server log.

So anyway, @Pointy advised me that, any LOCAL computers connecting to the server, needs to join using 127.0.0.1:***** (substitute ***** with the port that you set as your Game Port in the server assistant). This has worked flawlessly for me so far, although I'm not sure with your server being run on a dedicated box, whether this changes anything in the IP address to connect to...

Sandstorm's not the first problem I've seen with this issue though. It's weird. Some games (like Insurgency 1) I'm able to connect to my dedicated server using Internet Games, but with Sven Co-op and Counterstrike Source dedicated servers, my friends connect using Internet, but I must connect using LAN. Guess Sandstorm works the same way.

@pointy said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

I haven't done anything with Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant in a while, other than fix the known discord bot bug. I have been waiting to see what happens with the game and feedback, bug reports, the latter of which I have had very little.

Heyya @Pointy

Haven't chanced upon any bugs yet, everything seems to be working fine except for this issue that @G-Force49 mentioned. I too do not know what that slider affects?

@g-force49 said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Under MultiPlayer there is a setting for Bot quota: the slider goes from 0 to 1 The tooltip states "Damage modifier for friendly fire". I am not sure what this is for or how to set it.

Also, does anyone know whether the bot difficulty slider in the in-game admin menu works? It seems to always reset itself to 0.5 all the time.

@liostifer said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Hi
And it possible to run the server and play on the same machine, I did it with my server Killing floors 2 but when I run the server the game also starts
Thanks for your help

Yes. I'm doing exactly that. Run the server before opening Steam. When your friends join the server, they can use the normal server browser way. When YOU join the game, connect directly via IP, and use 127.0.0.1:XXXXX (XXXXX being the port you set for Game Port in the server assistant).

Make sure to port forward all the ports you used in the server assistant.

Not sure why your game also runs when you run the server. Did you make sure Steam was not on? You have to quit Steam before you run the server. It can't be minimized in your system tray, it must be totally off.

last edited by Commando Cat

@commando-cat said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

@pointy said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Heyya @Pointy

Haven't chanced upon any bugs yet, everything seems to be working fine except for this issue that @G-Force49 mentioned. I too do not know what that slider affects?

@g-force49 said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

Under MultiPlayer there is a setting for Bot quota: the slider goes from 0 to 1 The tooltip states "Damage modifier for friendly fire". I am not sure what this is for or how to set it.

Also, does anyone know whether the bot difficulty slider in the in-game admin menu works? It seems to always reset itself to 0.5 all the time.

Thanks for the feedback CC.

That slider looks like a copy/paste bug. 😳 I will take a look and fix it for the next release.

Well, I'd be glad to take a look and see if I can help out. It works, so regardless of the code it's doing its job. I can give you a private Git repo as well, so you can at least version and branch it properly.

@Pointy would you be able to do a video on how to set this up ?. would be awesome dude.

Mike.

Hey Pointy,

still a great tool and I still love to use it.
But is there an option to make - how often a Counterattack happens?
Because I can't find any and if we play we always have a counterattack on every single checkpoint, which is... kind of annoying 😃

EDIT:
Oh and is it possible to turn of the damage redirecting after killing a teammate? (which can happen)

last edited by beerz

Hey Pointy,

Any chance to get an option to modify the amount of equipment supplies in the tool?

It's really the only thing I see missing from it. Amazing tool btw!

Thanks,

Joker

Been using this program for a bit now and it's been working great for me (trying to host a dedicated server the usual way, by hand, was breaking my brain! lol), but ever since yesterday's big update it's not working. Namely, when I click the "check for server update" button, it says "A new server version is available", but every time I click to update, it keeps coming back with an error: "An error occurred while downloading server update. Please check the log for more details."

When I check said log, the error I see is: "Error! App '581330' state is 0x406 after update job.", and I can also see that nothing has been downloaded (yet it always updated fine in the past when updates were available).

Anyone have any idea what the problem is here? Is it just me?

@groovy-mosnter Try updating your Sandstorm Game Server Files again. I had the same problem with it not working then grabbed a new sandstorm server update that seemed to have popped up recently. Now it works again. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the Sandstorm Server Assistant App. Still a great App and Timesaver. Thanks again Pointy if you see this.

@joker9799 Go to the "MultiPlayer" Tab and scroll to the bottom of it!
There you can find the Supply points - you can also say you want to "earn them by points"! Just check the "Enable supply gain" box and set the "Supply gain frequency" slider to the desired requirement of points.

and

@Groovy-Mosnter
Had the same issue! I said "I'll try it anyway" and started the server without updating... it helped - it updated it by itself in order to run properly.
The update button was also broken for me.

@srfresq said in Insurgency Sandstorm Server Assistant Released:

@groovy-mosnter Try updating your Sandstorm Game Server Files again. I had the same problem with it not working then grabbed a new sandstorm server update that seemed to have popped up recently. Now it works again. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the Sandstorm Server Assistant App. Still a great App and Timesaver. Thanks again Pointy if you see this.

How do I update the Game Server Files?

Hello Pointy, I using your Server assistand and it works so good, I cant get an server up normally (it dosent want to intilazed steam but with your program it works perfect! One problem I have with your assistant is that I want more then 30 bots and I wonder if you could try to set it higher? It would be good if you atleast can set it up to 100 (No I wont use 100 bots but would be fun to try sometime), what I am trying to get on my server are around 60 bots atleast and if I take the config file and change the settings for myself your assistant puts it back to 30 again when I start the server.

This would be an easy fix if I could just take the config file and open up the server the normal way but since it wont intilazed steam with steam then its hard 😕