Mouse sensitivity drops in the middle of the freeaim box

This thread hasn't gained any dev attention in the spam of Steam forums, so I'll post it here.

Youtube Video

This ruins consistency completely and makes the game feel clunky, inconsistent, unplayable for some. Especially lower sensitivity users.
Some people think its a performance issue "hitch".

Should be fixed!

last edited by Leopardi

Hello @Leopardi,

Thanks for pointing this out. Does this issue happen in every maps, please?

@chaton said in Mouse sensitivity drops in the middle of the freeaim box:

Hello @Leopardi,

Thanks for pointing this out. Does this issue happen in every maps, please?

Yes, all maps.

I remember this existed in the Source Insurgency's code as well, one of the reasons I didn't hold on playing it.

Thanks for the details!

"This ruins consistency completely and makes the game feel clunky, inconsistent, unplayable for some. Especially lower sensitivity users." Totally agree hopefully they fix it soon

Thanks for the details!

Any update on this if it's being worked on? Wasn't part of the february patch.

Hey @Leopardi

We still need more details regarding this issue.
Can you tell us what your mouse DPI, Windows mouse sensitivity and in-game mouse sensitivity are, please?

last edited by chaton

Hey @Leopardi

We still need more details regarding this issue.
Can you tell us what your mouse DPI, Windows mouse sensitivity and in-game mouse sensitivity are, please?

800 dpi, in-game 0.25 sensitivity, Windows 6/11 sensitivity & enhanced precision off.

Naturally the lower your mouse sensitivity is, the more noticeable it is, as you don't go past the mid so fast...

last edited by Leopardi

@leopardi Damn, this a good catch. I'm gonna jump in-game and see what happens on my end.

@chaton @Leopardi

Oh, holy f*ck. Once you test it in-game, it's very noticeable actually.

In fact, I've definitely noticed this before, but I didn't really think much of it at the time. This is probably why the hipfire feels so fucked (apart from hipfire having insane recoil). At the center of your screen, your weapon still moves but your screen barely does.

This actually answered a lot of questions for me.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@chaton This issue happens regardless of mouse sensitivity or configuration. The issue is with the hipfire mechanic itself.

@kraeyq Yeah, I remember this mechanic being in-game for months, at least.

https://forums.focus-home.com/post/110900

We probably discussing the same issue here. If you haven't yet, try turn down shadows to "low".

But this won't solve the problem entirely. With me it came back, but it's not as bad anymore and doesn't happen all the time.

Still this bug makes you stop playing the game; an ego-shooter without working mouse controls.

Oh btw. I have a Corsair Sabre @16000 DPI, Windows mousespeed on 4, current sensivity in Sandstorm is 0.86.

There's also a problem with the aiming.
After free aiming the ADS will center on the player's view and not where the gun is pointing. Now that's a really bad design, since you have a feel to where the gun is pointing, you're trying to focus on that part and when you aim down the sight, you're aiming at a totally different location.

A very good way to test this and I insipire everyone to try it out, is to aim at a very small object, now go back to free aim, move your gun and now try to aim the gun at that very small object again. The gun will always point at the screen's center and not where the gun is pointing.
This needs fixing as well since you can't react quickly enough to enemy fire, since you'll be aiming at an entirely different location.

@kraeyq said in Mouse sensitivity drops in the middle of the freeaim box:

@chaton This issue happens regardless of mouse sensitivity or configuration. The issue is with the hipfire mechanic itself.

It seems as though the weapon's sensitivity doesn't change, but for some reason the camera sensitivity has this drop once the weapon reaches this middle zone.

@sgt-kanyo Are you asking about like a free-aim ADS mechanic? That's never been in Insurgency at all. Just put the enemy at the center of your screen, ADS, and fire.

@marksmanmax said in Mouse sensitivity drops in the middle of the freeaim box:

@sgt-kanyo Are you asking about like a free-aim ADS mechanic? That's never been in Insurgency at all. Just put the enemy at the center of your screen, ADS, and fire.

I don't really know what is free aim ADS.
What I meant was that, I like when you are not aiming your gun, it can move about in an area without moving the screen, however what I don't like is that when you move your gun in that said area and then you aim at something, the sights will be aligned with the center of the screen, instead of where the barrel is pointing.

@sgt-kanyo That's exactly what free-aim ADS is; basically free-aim hipfire but just aimed down sights instead. There's a mod for Ins2014 called Tactical Realism or something that implements it, and Red Orchestra 2 has that mechanic as well. While I don't hate free-aim ADS, it's not for Insurgency IMO. Makes gunplay much more difficult.

Now, you might be asking for your view camera to actually move relative to where the gun's pointed to aim down the weapon sights and still look at what you were looking at originally. I'm not exactly sure how that would actually perform in practice, though. Seems counterintuitive to me. I feel like it would feel extremely awkward to try to compensate for if your weapon's pointed one direction and an enemy comes from the other end of your screen.

@marksmanmax
I’m not sure how Source did it, all I know is that the movement from hipfire to ADS felt consistent. It didn’t matter where on screen the player was, I can sweep to him without feeling like I’m dragging my character to where I want to aim.

Now, the animation is slower and feels inconsistent because of it.
The only weapon that feels similar to how it did in Source right now is the MP5. I guess they wanted to make the ADS on rifles take longer, but it just feels clunky more than anything else.

@mr-rain There do seem to be some inconsistencies with hipfire to begin with, so that could be the issue. It might also be an animation bug; I'm not really sure.