[Feedback/Critic] Many game aspects still broken as hell - WHY?

I've been a big fan of this game so far, played 434 hours, been over lvl 150 in the beta and something around lvl 120 now in the full game.
But at this point, I am SHOCKED how little is done to fix some of the most critical gameplay issues/bugs und unbalanced settings in this game. I simply do not understand how some of the problems I am going to list are still a thing after all this time. It seems that NWI lacks someone to make the decisions on what to fix and when.
Note that like alot of people I only play coop, so whatever I say will focus on that particular mode only. Although beside AI issues, most issues should affect both modes.

AI still cheating on any aspect
The xray vision is still present, AI shoots you through smoke and knows your exact position behind walls (getting one-shot'ed by technicals). How have you not fixed this yet? And why do you even allow smoke grenades/launchers in Coop at this current state?! All it does is that experienced players get frustrated with teammates who use smoke, because it only affects the players but barely the AI.

And whats with the insane accuracy some of the AI have on long range?! I get SNIPED by machine gunners and those "pistol runners" across the map by a single bullet shot at me! How are you even supposed to set up as a supportive class like gunner or marksman?

This brings me to the next point regarding the godlike AI - their eagle eyes and "quick turn kills". There isn't even a point in setting up in great hiding spots because no matter how far you are away, and how little you show yourself, the AI will INSTANTLY see you across the map. Alright, so we cannot use logical cover, so maybe we try to ambush them? Nope, no matter if you hit them from above or behind, they instantly turn towards you and one-shot you. Element of surprise? Not existant, they fire at you without any simulated "reaction time".

On a side note, with the recent update, some players are invisible to the AI. I only see this happening to others when spectating them during defenses, but I can't speculate when/how they turn invisible to the AI.

Volumes, hitboxes and blasts/explosions
This one is just as frustrating and kills the game fun completely. How is it, that even though we are in full cover (I got a roof, 4 walls, no openings like doors or windows around me) we still get blown up by support calls like artillery/mortars and rocket strikes? What exactly are we supposed to do, when you want us to stay in one small building during a defense? Either fix the explosions going through hard cover or stop the AI from calling in artillery during defenses (since we cannot leave the targeted area).

In this category I also need to mention how often rockets and explosives will be stopped by some invisible (or not reasonable) "obstacle". E.g. I have free sight on a weapons cache, but my rocket doesnt hit it. Another one, I throw C4 right next to a weapons cache, but the detonation doesn't even do ANY damage. What the hell is going on, did the plastic bottle on the ground stop the blast?

Machine guns are useless
What is the point of having machine guns, when the AI does not simulate being suppressed, when I cannot set up in any good overwatch position (as I mentioned in the AI section above) aaaand, half of the reasonable positions to set up my bipod will NOT allow me to deploy it?! Also since the last update the bipod (atleast for me) stops working after some time. E.g. I have it deployed, but after turning around or reloading it wont let me deploy it on the same/exact position, sometimes using the underbarrel button twice to remove and redeploying the bipod fixes it.
So why exactly did you add an insane amount of recoil to all machine guns, knowing that often the bipod doesn't work at all?!

Sector zones
Whoever designed the capture/defend zones in this game clearly has a desire to tortue players 😛 There is no tactical logic behind these zones, none at all!!
Why is it that I cannot be upstairs on the building as the zone only covers the downstairs area? Why is it that you force us to sit around in the damn OPEN AREA like the center of a marketplace or some open plaza instead of the walls around the plaza that are part of the same building?! Forcing players into the open without any hard cover.
Hey buddy, stay on the objective, its all in the open and there is HE shells or rockets incoming, but make sure to stay out in the open, otherwise we determine that you gave up your position!
SERIOUSLY, what's the tactical idea behind this madness?
Honestly and without exaggeration, every single player I know absolutely HATES the objective zones in these maps. So, maybe listen to the community? 🙂

Reflected team damage
This one... It has been pointed out so many times by your community that this simply does not work. I get punished for incompetent team mates who run into my line of fire, who run into a burning molotov/incendiary, and who stand next to weapons caches even though you called out multiple times via radio that you are going to blow it up.

Does it stop trolls from being trolls? Nope, instead of killing you they will just injure you, throw grenades in front of you or block your view/path, or other very creative trolling methods like wandering off hoping that everyone else dies so that we all get to spectate the troll...
You don't have a votekick system ready yet? Fine, but atleast free us from this horrible damage reflection system!
Btw. most team killing SOBs will just wait until the defense of the last objective to kill you. That way they get away with it since you cannot respawn anymore until the match is over. Maybe you can try to come up with something for that.

Matchmaking options
I mentioned this months ago but apparently it hasn't been considered important enough so far. What's the point of making me join a game that is on the last objective, thus has no respawns left for me?
About 7 out of 10 matches I join thru matchmaking are already on the last 1-3 objectives. Please give us the option for the matchmaking preferences to not join games that are close to be over.

Oh and - surprisingly, players want to be able to join their friends during ongoing matches.

AI spawn killing and during resupplying
The spawn killing is still an issue. It usually happens 10-20 seconds after the respawn. Not sure if some of the AI doesn't fall back or some are spawning too close to the player area. There has been many times me or my team mates get killed while they try to resupply or change their gear. Ffs, can we please get a moment to change our sights or resupply without having some AI rush into the sector that we already cleared? Simply give players spawn protection and around the ammobox.

Loadout/Gear
Mosin Nagant, M870 and the RPG don't come with full ammo on spawn/respawn (tested with heavy carrier kit), more specific:
Mosin Nagant - Pick up one extra clip from ammobox
M870 - Reload 1 shell and pick up 8 extra shells from ammobox
RPG - Pick up one extra rocket from ammobox

And I still think its unbalanced/unfair that you don't get extra HE rounds for the underbarrel grenade launcher with the heavy carrier, as you did in the old version and old games.

I also think its unbalanced that the extended magazine for the MP5 (30 to 40) costs 3 supply points, the same amount as a drum magazine (which has more bullets, 30 to 50). 2 supply points seem fair to me.

Another point for balancing reasons, I think the 100 round machine guns should get one extra box versus the 200 round M249. The higher caliber of the 100 round ones does not make up for the fact that the M249 gets DOUBLE the amount of rounds. Plus, the reload animations could be a bit quicker, it looks like my character is reloading his gun on a peaceful firing range instead of heated combat.

Misc bugs
Only since last update - At some points during my game sessions, all ingame sounds including VOIP stop working for a few seconds, then everything is back to normal.

And the reticle on the C79 4x scope is shaking a little bit, no matter what weapon I equip it on. Don't know about the other 4x scopes as I only use this one most of the time.

last edited by Buzztr0n

I totally have the same opinion about everything you wrote except : AI spawn killing and during resupplying

In my opinion it´s keeping the tension high that the area close to the resupply box is still a valid target of the AI after the objective has been taken.
That way you and your teammates will learn that it is essential to cover each other during resupply procedure.

It would be too easy if there was a protection zone where AI could not kill you.
To be sure that there is no more AI sneaking around stay focused and don´t rush to the next objective
Running and gunning is almost standard on official Sandstorm servers.
Sometimes i have the impression that this is a racing competition who is taking the next mission objective , this really pisses me off !

After having cleared the sector from Bots how long does it take to change your loadout ?
I would say 5 - 8 seconds maximum. That´s a timewindow which you can risk.

@gsg_9_lightning - I understand you, I used to have the same opinion about the spawn/resupply thing, for the exact same reason. Over time this changed though as NOBODY will play this game slow or check the flanks for enemies. Plus, it's not clear if those AI killing you in your "secured" zone are new ones or just didn't want to retreat (which could be a bug then).

If you play this game with friends who will wait for you and protect you as you resupply, fine. But thats not the standard situation for most players (sometimes I play with friends, but often with randoms too).

And how am I supposed to keep my guard up? Just resupplying I can try to hear incoming enemies, but if I have to enter the loadout screen to change something with my preset, there is nothing I can do about incoming enemies. But I find the other points I brought up by far more bothering anyway, so I'm glad you agree with me on those 😃

last edited by Buzztr0n

@Buzztr0n Some fantastic stuff here. You wrote a lot, so I'll only comment about a few things.

On a side note, with the recent update, some players are invisible to the AI. I only see this happening to others when spectating them during defenses, but I can't speculate when/how they turn invisible to the AI.

Has to do with a bug that allows a player to essentially "always be in spawn". You can constantly resupply and AI cannot see you.

How is it, that even though we are in full cover (I got a roof, 4 walls, no openings like doors or windows around me) we still get blown up by support calls like artillery/mortars and rocket strikes? What exactly are we supposed to do, when you want us to stay in one small building during a defense?

You can spread out around the area. I wouldn't recommend actually staying in the capture area unless it's pretty defendable.

That being said, I've seen some bullshit moments where artillery kills through walls that didn't seem justified.

What is the point of having machine guns, when the AI does not simulate being suppressed...

It's not simulated, per se, but AI accuracy does seem to go to garbage if you suppress them with an LMG or other weapons.

Why is it that I cannot be upstairs on the building as the zone only covers the downstairs area? Why is it that you force us to sit around in the damn OPEN AREA like the center of a marketplace or some open plaza instead of the walls around the plaza that are part of the same building?!

This isn't a Coop-only problem; honestly, this covers a lot of points in PvP as well.

Reflected team damage

I've talked a lot about reflected team damage lmao (even suggested a "traitor" system that allows fo counter TKing).

Not sure if some of the AI doesn't fall back or some are spawning too close to the player area.

when a suicide bomber runs into the objective you just secured five seconds ago

Mosin Nagant, M870 and the RPG don't come with full ammo on spawn/respawn (tested with heavy carrier kit)

I'm pretty sure that's a thing for all shotguns, bolt-action rifles, and reloadable rocket launchers. Also, with a Light Carrier, you can get three smoke grenades for a smoke launcher this way.

I also think its unbalanced that the extended magazine for the MP5 (30 to 40) costs 3 supply points, the same amount as a drum magazine (which has more bullets, 30 to 50)

I've talked about this one before, as well.

Another point for balancing reasons, I think the 100 round machine guns should get one extra box versus the 200 round M249.

Same lmao.

Only since last update - At some points during my game sessions, all ingame sounds including VOIP stop working for a few seconds, then everything is back to normal.

Yeah, a lot of people have this bug, including me.

And the reticle on the C79 4x scope is shaking a little bit, no matter what weapon I equip it on. Don't know about the other 4x scopes as I only use this one most of the time.

This happens for all 4x and 7x scopes if you're using Normal scope quality.

last edited by MarksmanMax

@buzztr0n Since you seem pretty invested in wanting the game to be fixed, you might want to check out my full list of suggestions here: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/36693/my-complete-suggestions-list

I talked about quite a few things that you mentioned (although AI was in a different post I think lmao).

Fucking amen, brother. Everything you said is 100% spot-on.

I would also add : make AI allies stick with you when playing solo ! I'm getting tired of them running around like headless chickens, getting killed or even worse... Capturing an objective while you were still busy at the previous objective (resupplying or whatever). They capture it, and since they are useless tools they get killed and you then have like... 10 seconds to save the day alone or the game is over. That's way too much bullcrap.

Also, AI allies don't respawn unless you do too. They get killed and if you don't win an objective, you can forget about having some reinforcement during a counter-attack.

Coop has major problems, but solo-play is totally broken.

@buzztr0n said in [Feedback/Critic] Many game aspects still broken as hell - WHY?:

Volumes, hitboxes and blasts/explosions
This one is just as frustrating and kills the game fun completely. How is it, that even though we are in full cover (I got a roof, 4 walls, no openings like doors or windows around me) we still get blown up by support calls like artillery/mortars and rocket strikes? What exactly are we supposed to do, when you want us to stay in one small building during a defense? Either fix the explosions going through hard cover or stop the AI from calling in artillery during defenses (since we cannot leave the targeted area)

👍🏼

I think, at least for COOP, that the "defending" region around a point should be expanded.

@grumf Yeah. At least Day of Infamy had a mechanic where you could get AI to follow you if you were an Officer.

Hey @marksmanmax, appriciate your comment alot!

You can spread out around the area. I wouldn't recommend actually staying in the capture area unless it's pretty defendable.

That being said, I've seen some bullshit moments where artillery kills through walls that didn't seem justified.

Yeah I try to do that if it seems reasonable in the situation and environment, however that doesn't help in any situation. It's still a issue they need to fix and even if you are outside the defense zone, some suicide bomber, gunship or random rpg might kill you through walls or ceilings even though you should be safe.

It's not simulated, per se, but AI accuracy does seem to go to garbage if you suppress them with an LMG or other weapons.

Gotcha, I still think they need to put more effort on simulating some more human-like reactions on the AI when the bullets fly around. I mean there is obviously a very basic issue considering how the AI runs into burning nades and molotovs 😃
Anyway, that was just one of many points why I think MGs aren't as useful as they should. E.g. the lack of objects supporting the bipod function (which is buggy anyway). All that stuff needs to work, considering that regular soldiers can use 50 round drum mags anyway.

This isn't a Coop-only problem; honestly, this covers a lot of points in PvP as well.

Yep, that's why I said in the beginning that alot of the issues cover both modes. I just report everything from my coop experience 🙂

I've talked a lot about reflected team damage lmao (even suggested a "traitor" system that allows fo counter TKing).

Haha yes, anything else would be better 😃

when a suicide bomber runs into the objective you just secured five seconds ago

LOL, I keep joking "I disagree with your definition of "secured" ! 😃

This happens for all 4x and 7x scopes if you're using Normal scope quality.

Ah thanks alot mate, the setting must have reset itself at some time (guess with the recent update)

I just got fed up with the game even after winning versus matches because all the bugs and errors that occur absolutely negate any fun I was having. Got fed up enough to go onto the technical issue forum and was about to type some long essay, but I see you already did one regarding overall issues. I don't even know where to start. Seriously, my mind is just bombarded with all of the absolutely messed up and clunky game mechanics , map/zone errors, hitboxes (ESPECIALLY FOR ROCKET LAUNCHERS), smoke usage, spraying into an enemy POINT BLANK (call me crazy already) TOTALLY-OVERLOOKED-YET-BLATANTLY OBVIOUS MENU ISSUES HOLY SH*T. I even considered changing my negative steam review to a positive after the 1.1.3 patch, but I was definitely not impressed. I don't even write reviews for games, BUT THIS ONE, holy cow man. I currently hate this game, not the concept but the execution. I want to enjoy it, but its just a heaping pile of garbage covered in golden spray paint and scented with perfume. Please make me regret saying this with the next patch, I beg you.

@buzztr0n said in [Feedback/Critic] Many game aspects still broken as hell - WHY?:

I also think its unbalanced that the extended magazine for the MP5 (30 to 40) costs 3 supply points, the same amount as a drum magazine (which has more bullets, 30 to 50). 2 supply points seem fair to me.

I disagree with this. MP5 is probably already the best SMG as it combines the best aspects of MP7 and UZI. These are high rate of fire, controllable recoil, good default magazine size, and good damage per shot. MP7 requires one more shot to kill, can't equip a foregrip, and has 4 supply cost extended magazines. Uzi has slow rate of fire, and because magazine size is more important with high rate of fire, its drum magazines are not better than MP5's extended magazines.

TLDR: You can't just buff MP5 without comparing it to the other weapons the class has.

Edit: I think only if MP5 would cost one point more its extended magazines could cost one point less.

last edited by Action83

I mean there is obviously a very basic issue considering how the AI runs into burning nades and molotovs

I find it odd that the AI do run from grenades, but not from already-set-off incendiary weapons.

@Action83 Eh, I disagree with your disagreement. The MP5 is really good, but honestly, I wouldn't nerf it to compete with the MP7. The MP5 currently just outclasses the MP7 entirely, but that's not because the MP5 is OP. It's because of a few other reasons:

1. Armor currently does jack shit and only helps a player survive from about 25% of Sandstorm's firearms, so the MP7s "AP rounds" just go to waste.

2. The MP7 has more recoil than the MP5 (why?).

3. The MP7 is way overpriced, with 4-supply Ext Mags.

If anything, at this point it would make more sense to have the MP7 be kind of a "newb" gun with extremely low recoil and high fire rate, but lower damage as a tradeoff. The MP5 could then cost more than the MP7.

A few other things:

-> The Uzi isn't supposed to be on-par with the MP5; it's a cheap weapon. Also, IMO the drum mags are trash; they add a lot more horizontal recoil to the weapon, which severely hinders its controllability.

-> The original cost mechanic of Extended Mag was:

• One supply for 5-9 rounds
  • Two supply for 10-19 rounds
  • Three supply for 20+ rounds

Now, for balance reasons, you could bypass this rule if necessary (for instance, the SVD's one-supply 15-round mag is incredibly powerful, and should probably cost more IMO). That being said, it's still a pretty balanced way to make the supply costs, and the reason I don't agree with the 40-round MP5/7 mags costing 3/4 supply, respectively.

Seriously, it's unbelieveable how bloody broken this game (still) is right now. There are a dozen reasons to ragequit this game, no matter if its the trolling, autistic teamkillers, the stupid damage reflection that kills innocent players, the godlike 360°-quickscope-thermal-vision-AI or the not or barely working game mechanics, #bipods #letmejoinmyfriendsgame. What the hell is NWI doing all this time?! With all the patches so far, none of them fix the issues that completely ruin the game fun for those who WANT to like and play this game. NWi seriously needs to focus and prioritize some of these core issues. smh...

last edited by Buzztr0n

If the mechanic was that rushing ahead and capturing a point left bots in your flank, then that would be a good feature.

Having bots instantly appear on top of me and kill me while doing my loadout on a point my team meticulously cleared is fucking stupid.

How are these issues not being addressed at all, the "month of fixes" has fixed nothing and made many of these long-term issues worse.

Perform a stop it.

Well it seems like they are busy adding new bugs, like the fake grenades or that bombs now drop before the actual drones fly over the area :'D

Also, will they ever fix the damn interaction prompts for items on the ground and doors ?