How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?

This is a reworked topic from GTA based forums. As some might know Rockstar class system is a mess. There are vans in muscle class, sedans in sports class, supers in sports class, sports in super class, trucks in vans class, etc. So a popular topic of discussion is fans on forums mocking up their own class system, and expressing how they feel the classes should work and which vehicle should go where.

So after briefly talking about the Star system in another thread, I thought why not rework that concept into Mudrunner.

Honestly the star system doesn't seem that bad in Mudrunner, but I think there could be some changes.

1 Star (Scout Class)

• Chevy K5 Blazer
  • Ford F-150
  • Hummer H1
  • A-469
  • A-3151
  • A-969
  • B-6A

2 Star (Logger Class)

• B-130
  • C-256
  • Ford LTL9000
  • Chevy Bison
  • Freightliner FLD120
  • C-65115 (should be selectable at menu screen, no reason for it not to be)

3 Star (Off Road Class)

• B-66 (btw why can this haul logs. A B-130 can have a 2 point load but this can't?)
  • Western Star 6900XD
  • B-131
  • C-260
  • C-255
  • C-375
  • C-65111
  • C-432010
  • C-4310
  • C-6317

4 Star (Tractor Class)

• K-8400 Skidder
  • K-700
  • D-538

5 Star (Extreme 8X8 Class)

• K-9000 Forwarder
  • D-537
  • E-7310
  • E-7429

So as you see, not a huge amount of difference, but still some notable moves. A C-256 will best a Bison or LTL9000 in most any situation outside highway speed, a C-256 like the Freightliner also has a crane attachment while the Bison and LTL9000 does not. It makes no sense for a LtL9000 to cost 2 stars but a C-256 to old cost 1.

I also bumped the B-130 up to 2 star as it can actually carry a load, it is actually a logger vehicle and not a scout. Since it can be used to help complete a map, this is why it got the 2 star bump.

The B-66 moved up to 3 star because it's a off road capable truck, and I believe this thing should be able to at least carry a 2 point load. The B-66 is bigger, more powerful, and more capable then the B-130 having more ground clearance and 4X4. Yet a B-130 can take a load but a B-66 can't?

I also bumped the B-131 into the 3 Star class. It's 6X6, diff-lock, can haul 3 or 4 point loads, can haul trailers. It may not have the raw engine power of a C-255, but the B-131 is still plenty capable enough of getting around and I feel deserves a 3 star rating.

Only changes I made above this was a grouped the 8X8 vehicles together in their own class, so the D-537 went from being 4 star to being 5 star. Otherwise everything this high pretty much remained unchanged.

What do you think, do you guys like this setup? Do you disagree with my reasoning? If so by all means feel free to list your own custom star ratings, and share with us how you feel vehicles should be classed.

Our lists are pretty close. Here are the changes I've made to my copy of the game (I'm on a PC where I can do such things) and would like to see these changes made permanent by the devs via a patch:

C-256 - 2 stars instead of 1
K-700 - 3 stars instead of 4
D-538 - 3 stars instead of 4 (and that's with 190K torque instead of the original weak-sauce 120K)
Forwarder - 4 stars instead of 5
Skidder - 3 stars instead of 4

The area where I'll have to differ with you is the "tractor class". I don't see them as being superior to the average 3-star truck, hence I have mine set to 3 stars, with the exception of the Forwarder because it's 8x8.

And don't forget, on the PC we have mods, including for example 6x6 trucks that can carry 8 log points. There's no truck like that in the base game. I give it 4 stars. Then there's the D-535/537 that's 8x8 but can only carry 6 or 7 log points. I give it 4 stars as well (what it already has). I consider both the # of powered wheels and the maximum load it can carry.

The B-130 could be either one or two stars, but probably one since it has a smaller carrying capacity (only 2 points) and not even diff lock in the unmodified game. There are scout vehicles in the workshop that can also carry 2 points and usually they're 1-star.

Yea in the base game the B-130 is the only "scout vehicle" that can carry load points at all, so that's why I put it as 2 along with the other 2WD logging trucks.

I kinda feel like so many trunks having cranes on them do take away from what purpose the tractors should have. I mean if a crane on a truck was rare and the K-700 was the loader you had in most situations, then 4 star would be fair as it'd be a key piece of equipment in your game.

Skidder has less importance then it should as well. If you play a map as intended then yes a Skidder is useful for getting wood out of the swamp and to the trail. However most time people will just pick the 6X6 vehicles, and then you don't need a Skidder at all.

So by right the 6X6 class of trucks renders both the K-700 and Skidder completely obsolete.

If only Mudrunner had a grooming feature then the Tractor Class would be worth 4 star. Like if you've run over a trail a few times and it's staring to get soft, you could use the Skidder plow or put a scoop on the K-700 and dig the mud away. That would be pretty cool and a 4 star feature.

But yes I have to agree, the 6X6 trucks pretty much makes both the K-700 and Skidder completely worthless.

Yup, I've always used the "tractor class" only for fun or because the map spawned them, not because I needed them, given that a 6x6 with a crane can do everything the tractor can and do it better.

@unster said in How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?:

Yup, I've always used the "tractor class" only for fun or because the map spawned them, not because I needed them, given that a 6x6 with a crane can do everything the tractor can and do it better.

Oh yea this thread.

While I agree the 3 Star class is the best, you gotta put something in 4 Star and 5 Star right? So I just went tractors in 4 and 8X8's in 5. Though I guess the Forwarder can go in either, seeing it's a 8X8 but also a tractor. lol

🤔 hmmm.. no C-4320 listed? lol😉
should be added to the (selectable list) as well imo.

i think the ratings are about right imo. will agree on the B66 being able to carry a short log load, but then where to put it? i feel it would be more capable than a B type (2star), but yet still not as capable as the C types(3star). is a bit of a grey area imo.

really the rating system is basic at best. so once we/they start adding new vehicles to it then it only makes sense there will be some "grey area" vehicles.

I must have missed that truck.

With the way my setup would be, I'd have the B-66 in the 3 Star Off Road class. If you pay attentions to the pattern of vehicles in my 2 Star class, it's all the 2WD highway logging trucks in the game. Then the 3 Star class is all the woods trucks. The B-66 I feel is to big and capable to count as a 1 Star vehicle in the Scout Class, and it's more offroad capable then any of the 2WD semi's in the 2 Star Logger class, so it'd count as a 3 Star Offroad class vehicle.

i get ya and it makes sense, but with the B130 you also get more abilities in attachments. like big trailers, which the 66 does not have. i am curious now how well the 66 would handle something like the utility semi-trailer like the 130 can use. also should the weight be considered as well? i mean the 66 would be a feather weight compared to the rest of the C types and only able to handle short logs. i am considering what i feel is a balance between the roles given (logging/scout/rescue/etc...) that vehicles can handle, this is where i am getting my "grey area" from.

@8up-local said in How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?:

i get ya and it makes sense, but with the B130 you also get more abilities in attachments. like big trailers, which the 66 does not have. i am curious now how well the 66 would handle something like the utility semi-trailer like the 130 can use. also should the weight be considered as well? i mean the 66 would be a feather weight compared to the rest of the C types and only able to handle short logs. i am considering what i feel is a balance between the roles given (logging/scout/rescue/etc...) that vehicles can handle, this is where i am getting my "grey area" from.

The B-66 in it's current form can't do trailers, I just tried using a winch line. However it could always be tweaked to be able to haul trails.

@justinlynch3 said in How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?:

Oh yea this thread.

While I agree the 3 Star class is the best, you gotta put something in 4 Star and 5 Star right? So I just went tractors in 4 and 8X8's in 5. Though I guess the Forwarder can go in either, seeing it's a 8X8 but also a tractor. lol

Are you just killing time while unable to play MudRunner? 😉 I guess the next best thing to playing MR is to talk about it, lol.

Yeah, there are different ways to categorize the trucks. My personal way is 4 star is 8x8 that can't carry 8 points or 6x6 that can carry 8 points. 5 star is 8x8 that can carry 8 points. So I do have plenty of trucks to put in those categories. The Forwarder is a 4-star truck in my book, since it can't carry 8 points (including trailers) but is 8x8.

last edited by Unster

i am going by more than just log loads yes. i like to look at things overall. so not only what logs can it haul, but how well can it scout or do rescue work? what kind of support roles can it do? i will agree keeping things simple and basic when categorizing vehicles is easy enough for what it is worth, but as we all know the more you break things down the more difficult it becomes doing it in simple categories. 😄

@8up-local
The only reason I came up with my own star rating system is that I wanted to balance the trucks against others and actually make those changes in my copy of the game. For example it made no sense to me to have the k-700 be 4 stars and the C-255 be 3 stars, when the C-255 is clearly more capable. Another reason is the vast number of mods and each modder having a different standard for how many stars to give their creation. It's all over the place, so I made my own standard.

1-stars make the best scouts because they are small, nimble and fuel efficient while the 4 and 5-stars make the best haulers and rescuers since they are large & powerful, though thirsty. So to me the # of powered wheels and log carrying ability are generally enough to categorize each truck.

@unster said in How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?:

@justinlynch3 said in How would you star rate vehicles in Mudrunner?:

Oh yea this thread.

Are you just killing time while unable to play MudRunner? 😉 I guess the next best thing to playing MR is to talk about it, lol.

Yeah, there are different ways to categorize the trucks. My personal way is 4 star is 8x8 that can't carry 8 points or 6x6 that can carry 8 points. 5 star is 8x8 that can carry 8 points. So I do have plenty of trucks to put in those categories. The Forwarder is a 4-star truck in my book, since it can't carry 8 points (including trailers) but is 8x8.

Dang, your on to me. :smiling_face_with_open_mouth_smiling_eyes:

@justinlynch3 Don't worry, I'm the same way. I bet a lot of us are.