G29 - how to use virtual shifter and diff?

Guys, just got my G29 wheel and can not figure out how to get out of the automatic transmission so I can use the diff lock. Suppose to get a shifter tomorrow but is there a way to use the virtual shifter from the g29?

last edited by diggydog

@diggydog Unfortunately this game doesn't support sequential shifting, otherwise you could use the paddles on the sides of the wheel if you have them (I have them on my T150 wheel). The setting for manual mode is in the controls menu, but without a shifter it's not really usable. You'd have to continuously hold down the assigned button for each gear, and that's what the shifter does for you.

Thankfully my shifter is supposed to get here tomorrow!

On a vaguely related topic, has anyone built a "console" to mount the wheel and shifter so they can be used while sitting in a recliner in the living room? I'm going to look at some custom and factory made photos and see if I can come up with something. I use my PS4 in the living room from my recliner so a large race car style unit is out of the question but I'm hoping I can build something. First thing I noticed just trying it today for the first time is that if I set it on a board across the arms of the recliner it feels too high.

For some reason I thought you were using a PC. Anyway, can't really help you with that, but I've seen setups like that. Since I'm on a PC I just attach my wheel and shifter to my desk and take them off as needed for non-driving games.

I have G25 with shifter, I have some problems but experience is relly good:

• I think gears are not very real. You can't start in 2nd for example. I can't understand this why.
  • I have a problem with trucks with more tan 6 gears, my shifter only allow 6 gears
  • Force Feed Back sometimes doesn't work very well. Sometimes the Wheel is very hard

I assigned buttons for diff lock, all Wheel drive, hand brake….

I think the game is much better with a Wheel and a shifter, but I think beam.ng is mucho more realistic in pure simulation. I'd like a mix between mudrunner and beam.ng

@diggydog said in G29 - how to use virtual shifter and diff?:

On a vaguely related topic, has anyone built a "console" to mount the wheel and shifter so they can be used while sitting in a recliner in the living room? I'm going to look at some custom and factory made photos and see if I can come up with something. I use my PS4 in the living room from my recliner so a large race car style unit is out of the question but I'm hoping I can build something. First thing I noticed just trying it today for the first time is that if I set it on a board across the arms of the recliner it feels too high.

I do have a G920+shifter and mounted it on a 2nd hand Ikea desk(€15). I sit in an Ikea LazyBoy and for me it's perfect. To be honest though... i am a rather small dude, maybe that is why it fit so well.
I am however gonna build a rig for my bucket seat in time.
Because I.m.o. it just looks better. My whole living room is currently setup around my gaming territory. But, First things first, a decent PC!!!

@jorge said in G29 - how to use virtual shifter and diff?:

I have G25 with shifter, I have some problems but experience is relly good:

• I think gears are not very real. You can't start in 2nd for example. I can't understand this why.
  • I have a problem with trucks with more tan 6 gears, my shifter only allow 6 gears
  • Force Feed Back sometimes doesn't work very well. Sometimes the Wheel is very hard

I assigned buttons for diff lock, all Wheel drive, hand brake….

I think the game is much better with a Wheel and a shifter, but I think beam.ng is mucho more realistic in pure simulation. I'd like a mix between mudrunner and beam.ng

Can't start in 2nd gear because this game uses simplified physics in some places. Yes BeamNG is more realistic in this regard, though it doesn't have deformable mud and animated plants & water like MR does.

If you're on a PC you can modify trucks with more than 6 gears to have 6 gears only.

FFB is broken in this game and hopefully getting fixed in the next patch. I always have to unplug, wait and replug my wheel in the controls menu for FFB to work in this game.

Thanks for the replies guys! I have just about finished my wheel and shifter stand. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will when I finish it. (Might make a YT video showing it.)

Next question, one of the trucks has a 9 speed. Can I get more than 6 gears from my Logitech driving force shifter?

@diggydog
Not if 6 gears is all you have. Remember the game also limits you to 6 gears (in manual mode). My shifter has 7 gears but 7th isn't usable in this game. In other games it is.

Here is a video link that contains three still shots of my project for today. Thanks to everyone who posted pictures or videos of their steering wheel stand on the web!

Youtube Video

Hey guys...
No ffb is not broken...just an issue...
In control setup just put wheel completely from left to right until u feel ffb is activate...that is all...

I build a costume setup for myself to turn on lights...motor and extra sticks to control the crane
http://imgur.com/a/BZvFgPn

@ewgenij84 I saw that setup in an ETS2 and ATS group on fb. Was it you?

No... but maybe someone I know...German guy who inspires me to do it that way....