[Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]

@jballou - have you noticed that everyone who says keep it has yet to address the trolls who stand in fire to tk ppl via reflective damage? or stand in support? Seriously no one who wants to keep reflective has even bothered to TRY to touch on that topic.... makes me wonder how many of them are the trolls abusing reflective damage to troll others.

last edited by Max80

I can agree to this at least for damage from supports, since there's always a Leroy Jenkins in a team that ignores your warnings and decides that the most useful thing to do would be to try and take a building in the middle of an airstrike or decide that the gas mask cramps his style in the middle of a chemical mortar barrage.

is it possible to have 2 queues. one with FF reflected and one with vote kick? see which one wins the popularity contest? OR at the very least gives us the option to play with it?

last edited by Max80

Welp, damage reflection is still in-game as of update 1.14, so...

@max80 said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

is it possible to have 2 queues. one with FF reflected and one with vote kick? see which one wins the popularity contest? OR at the very least gives us the option to play with it?

Eh, if NWI's learned anything from BFV, it's that adding more queues is just a good way to split a small player base.

Let's start by stating the fact that everything can be abused by the trolls (and damage reflection is being abused) so saying that X can be abused is in no way a proper argument against it.

Now, if standard votekick where the vote can be initiated anytime by anyone is "too easy to abuse" (I personally never have seen it abused) then maybe allow votekick only on teamkill (or major team damage). Though sometimes I so hope for votekick when some asshat is spamming the voice and being general pain in the backside (how about that in-game "report player" feature).

Votekick on tk is kinda like the "forgive" system but with more teammates taking part in the discussion.

Docking XP points for team damage could also be an idea (and showing it in big red letters in the post match report), just to have people think about what they're shooting at a bit more. Make the penalty large enough and make it possible to actually lose XP and levels and maybe the trolls start thinking twice about it as well (especially if matchmaking takes this into account somehow).

There are real-world tactical shooting competitions where shooting clean is way more important than completing a stage quickly (even though shortest total time wins the match) and the penalties for hitting a no-shoot (or not neutralizing a target) are scaled accordingly, like 60 seconds per penalty which totally destroys any perceived advantage of "being quick".

Remember kids: slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

last edited by mashiara

I can kind of see the merit in keeping it for small arms fire, but for explosives and support abilities, I don't think it helps anything.

@marksmanmax said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

@benny Why not the three-teamkill system? That worked decent enough.

Damage reflection, as @GSG_9_LIGHTNING said, can be used to troll incredibly easily. You can literally sit in a teammate's Molotov and watch the teammate burn to death.

Sandstorm, as Mikee as said before, tries to go for complete immersion. Damage from Allah himself upon shooting a teammate kinda subtracts from that.

Why not the best of both worlds? To DMG and votekick?

I didn't read the whole thread, but I want to say I don't think damage reflection is an issue. The only possible issue I see is with commanders. I played Insurgency Sandstorm for 130 hours and I've never killed myself because of damage reflection. People have to learn to not shot their teammates.

last edited by TallsFalls

@tallsfalls said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

I didn't read the whole thread, but I want to say I don't think damage reflection is an issue. The only possible issue I see is with commanders. I played Insurgency Sandstorm for 130 hours and I've never killed myself because of damage reflection. People have to learn to not shot their teammates.

So you dont mind if you join a public match and there are say 4 other guys there....You throw a molly at a hole in the wall to slow the flood of bots into the point you are about to take. but the 4 other guys being point whore want the kills so they each walk through your molly causing reflective damage and then you die....you are ok with this?

I don't think you've ever been in a match with trolls who know how to abuse this, then.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I want to say I don't think damage reflection is an issue.

Wrong, next time read the thread first 😃

A good ole fashioned forgive/punish+stikes may be a better course of action rather than plain strikes or straight up damage reflection.

This disable friendly fire reflect
[/script/insurgency.insgamemode]
bEnforceFriendlyFireReflect=False
However, nothing we can do for matchmaking
So, best advise is, dont play in matchmaking

I'm the guy that plays a lot of local play. This happens on a daily basis:

Destroy objective

I throw molly at objective
Team AI decides to try and plant
Team AI walks into my molly
Team AI dies in explosion
I die due to reflected damage.

just wanted to say absolutely but saw that I already did... bump!

I'm actually quite impressed! This thread is currently tied for the most liked post on this entire discussion board!

One more like would make this post the first one that shows up when NWI searches by "Most Votes". Maybe that'll send a message.

@planetcanada said in [Petition To Remove Damage Reflection]:

Bumpity Bump!

Lmao thanks for all the likes but I think it's the OP that matters most.

That being said, it now has 18 likes so it's now the first post that shows up when you search by "Most Likes"! Well, out of the non-pinned posts, anyway:0_1556169339056_YES.PNG

18 likes yaaay, Party !!!
So sorry but we only are 0,00036 percent of 500.000 owners of Insurgency:Sandstorm.
Do you really think that NWI will listen to our wish ?

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@gsg_9_lightning 500,000 owners with an average active player base of what a thousand? Lmao what a joke. I would have been embarrassed to brag about that simply because the fact is if they truly sold 500,000 copies of Insurgency SS (which I will admit two copies were me alone...) then that really describes how sad a state this game is when that many bought and such a tiny percentage of that play on any given day... Just sayin!