PS5/XBOX2?

I know many here are PC gamers, but I've seen a few console players around. For my fellow console guys what do you think of Next Gen so far? The info Sony themselves put out was pretty interesting, not only did they confirm that PS5 won't be running on weaker hardware then X2, but the biggest reveal I think is when they said PS5 won't have a HDD, instead it'll have a customized SSD.

They used the game Spiderman as a example, on a normal PS4 load times took around 14 or 15 seconds or so, and running on SSD they said the same load times dropped to 0.8 seconds.

Sony also seemed to make a point that PS5 will till have a Blu-Ray drive, makes sense as Sony likes to keep consoles fairly traditional.

alt text

@justinlynch3 said in PS5/XBOX2?:

I know many here are PC gamers, but I've seen a few console players around. For my fellow console guys what do you think of Next Gen so far? The info Sony themselves put out was pretty interesting, not only did they confirm that PS5 won't be running on weaker hardware then X2, but the biggest reveal I think is when they said PS5 won't have a HDD, instead it'll have a customized SSD.

They used the game Spiderman as a example, on a normal PS4 load times took around 14 or 15 seconds or so, and running on SSD they said the same load times dropped to 0.8 seconds.

Sony also seemed to make a point that PS5 will till have a Blu-Ray drive, makes sense as Sony likes to keep consoles fairly traditional.

alt text

I'm on PC, but I do agree with you that Focus should support more consoles.

i would rather have only PC gaming, cause IMO consoles slow down gaming drastically in terms of graphic/tech improvement, but since we cant get rid of them....... yes, focus should and will bring mr2 on ps5 and xo2. no doubt

ps5 looks promising
we probably will see xo2 on e3 microsoft conference, this year

i doubt they will be different from eachother tho

last edited by zamal

Looks all very nice, but as @zamal said. Consoles slow game developing down.

I'm currently still on the BrickBox, but a pc is in the making.

I've been on consoles for about 15 to 20 years by now and had a great time. Unfortunately my standards for quality and freedom changed over the last few years and the consoles can't not provide anymore what I desire.

Consoles are great for easy of the shelf gaming. But I simply want more.

might be a bit off topic here, but what happened to that console xbox created that was like a PC but in console form? i forget the name of it and it has been quite a few years since i quit following "the console wars". 🤔

@8up-local said in PS5/XBOX2?:

might be a bit off topic here, but what happened to that console xbox created that was like a PC but in console form? i forget the name of it and it has been quite a few years since i quit following "the console wars". 🤔

XBOX is the console, it's created by Microsoft. Playstation is created by Sony, and Nintendo is created by, well, Nintendo.

I don't know if you are referring to XBOX ONE and Playstation 4, the current generation. In terms of spec designs the current consoles are pretty much just mid-range PC's. PS5 and XBOX TWO (not official name) looks to be doing the same thing and keeping things relatively simple for dev's to work on, it'll just be bringing a lot better hardware then we have now.

@justinlynch3 i think i know the companies, which is why i said xbox. also after posting i looked a bit and it was the project scorpio i guess, the xbox one x. my understanding was that they were working on the possibilities of a high end PC quality console, guess i misunderstood. 🤔

"I think i know the companies, which is why i said xbox"

@8up-local please forgive me but to be fair, as justin stated, the company that release xbox is Microsoft. I'm not aware of their hardware division ever working on a console PC, nor would I ever expect this to happen, as it would be in direct competition with the Xbox hardware and commercial platform they have spent billions in developing. I may of course be wrong.

I would consider (for the time being at least) the main 'next gen' console to be Microsoft Xbox One X and then Sony PS5 and XB2 (Project Scarlett) in 2020.

Project Scorpio was just a limited edition (read fancy coloured and more expensive) XBX. I did see some sites talking about project Scorpio at same time as XB2 but this was likely before XBX release and just confusion. XBX is to all intents and purposes an XB1 with upgraded hardware and graphics. Plays all the old XB1 stuff but with better graphics and adding 4K capability which the old box didn't have. Also the added performance coming from upping the hardware generally means it plays latest games more reliably, where old boxes can struggle or even crash. A disappointing trend to see in consoles. On consoles at least, developers were expected to ensure a game release was at least 'playable' on the given platform. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Totally independent was the "Steam Machine" concept, which sounds more like what you mention. Basically this IS a PC but in console form factor with a UI designed from the outset to be accessed through TV, a bit like the media PCs from a few years back. Alienware (now part of Dell) released one. A few RoC brands did too. Didn't really take off because essentially they were a compromised solution (esp for upgradability) at a high price point. I thought about one but in the end didn't for same reasons.

With regards to Focus releasing on more consoles slowing down development, this cuts both ways. I suspect a lot of the dev work rewriting MR to efficiently manage code streams for multiple platform deployment was done last year, therefore moving forwards to MR2 and beyond, porting "shouldn't" be an excessive overhead impacting the amount of time spent actually developing. What does increase massively is the market size, financial return on investment, and therefore money available to hire more staff and make more DLCs and bigger, better MR babies for us in the future.

Of course with it comes a whole bunch of new people with new demands and new expectations but I guess the guys have got pretty good over the years at filtering those out.

As for performance compromises, it's already been stated a few times on the forum that MR is not particularly hard on CPU and graphics and as the game style doesn't really cry out for 40 players @ 120FPS, I don't think there we will be seeing any degradation as a consequence of PC/Console, maybe graphics tweaks. I suspect that the only platform that will really need any downscaling is the Nintendo Switch.

The biggest challenge will likely remain how they manage the different deployment environments, which of course won't change regardless of Focus' efforts. Therefore (and I stick my neck out here) I don't expect the cry for console mods to end any time soon. It's just too big a problem to solve across multiple platforms.

For me the biggest console (Xbox) specific headache is the issues with multiplayer, specifically the whole lobby system is still broken and the reliance on player hosted game servers resulting in forced game exits every time little billy gets called downstairs for his tea. I don't know if this problem even exists on PC.

last edited by zoglet