Engine brake please

Such a little thing to add to the US trucks, but nothing would make me happier than being able to pop an engine brake while going down hill. I play PS4 so while driving manual the parking brake (O) could change to engine brake. Effect should not just make noise but provide 1/8 - 1/4 braking....

Just my 2ยข

To a degree we already have this using the super low range gears.

@justinlynch3 not the same as hearing the growl of an engine brake. Lol

That would be super simple to add, just change the sound of the stock air brake and make the file longer. I really don't know much about sounds, so don't quote me. Thanks for sharing.

@Forces im talking about what the developers could do.

@wiatowski Given how the drivetrain is simplified in this game, I don't really see the point at this time. The trucks in this game already get infinite engine braking, i.e. nothing can force them to go beyond the top speed of the current gear. Yet the engine is strangely quiet in that situation.

So I do like the idea of an engine brake, but the game would need more than that for this to be meaningful.

@unster said in Engine brake please:

@wiatowski Given how the drivetrain is simplified in this game, I don't really see the point at this time. The trucks in this game already get infinite engine braking, i.e. nothing can force them to go beyond the top speed of the current gear. Yet the engine is strangely quiet in that situation.

So I do like the idea of an engine brake, but the game would need more than that for this to be meaningful.

You're missing the point..... An engine brake to a trucker is like the rumble of a Harley to a biker. When driving around the AW maps ,or for that point using any large US truck an engine brake is almost an essential. An engine brake doesn't prevent the engine from maxing out, that is done by the engines governor. An engine brake is to assist you slowing/slow you down so you don't have to brake as hard. There are solenoids in the engine that open the exhaust valves at the top of the power stroke. It essential turns the engine into a giant air compressor.

This is what it should be like. Only video I could find that does it right.
Youtube Video

last edited by Wiatowski

If I were you I'd wait until we can hear others trucks in multiplayer and have realistic engine sounds and behavior. Hopefully that's the way it is in mr2. Also the damage system cuz if I slam my rear bumper into a wall then the engine won't run like what???

@wiatowski I think we both kind of missed each other's points. I know what an engine brake does. I was saying that in this game all you have to do to maintain a low speed while going downhill is to leave the truck in a low gear and it won't go above the top speed of that gear, i.e. no over-rev. So an engine brake would really add nothing functional. But now I see the sound of it is important to you, so I get that. It would then be a cosmetic feature.

๐Ÿ‘ but it could also provide like I said a little braking. Although who doesn't want to go fast on pavement??? Lol.
One thing I'm not found of in this game is the lack of "roll" the vehicles seem to have..... They should feel like the brakes are on when you let off the gas, if that makes any sense. That and the lack of friction on pavement.

last edited by Wiatowski

@wiatowski Yeah the transmission acts more like an automatic with a torque converter, even if it's in manual mode. There's very little engine braking, just that artificial speed limit in each gear.

I don't know how long you've been on this forum but suggestions are generally ignored. Just an observation. You may have better luck with ST.

@wiatowski yep I agree. I'm curious to see how MR2 will feel since it isn't even the same game engine or software whatever you call it

@jayson Well we don't know that. That would be the company's inside information. But MR2 certainly seems to have a lot of new features.