Great patch, but mapvote is desperately needed AND the ability to stay with your team!

After playing on the test servers last week, I was delighted to see the new patch going live so soon! And to my surprise the performance was even better and the minor changes you made blend in very well! Also, the new map is excellent and the most multifaceted as of yet.
BUT there are two things that are still needed and which I consider critical for the further success of Sandstorm.

1. We need even more maps. Give us the promised remakes of Ministry etc. as soon as possible. Or else the community will get bored quickly again.
  2. We need map vote. Now! After being so delighted by the patch, I was forced to play "Farmhouse" for 5 times in a row! Plus half of the matches I joined were already fifty percent over. This is so fucking frustrating, I can't believe you didn't change that yet.

Still, a very good patch and keep up your amazing work!

*** Sorry for my English, it is not my brightest day today.

Edit: Ok, one more thing: dont show me the votekicking sign for the whole time while the voting is in process. This takes almost half of my display!!! Why not do it like in Insurgeny 1. You vote, the sign disappears. Plus: make it as quick as in Insurgency 1 because people have to react fast and so a votekick only happens when there is a real reason (trolling, excessive teamkilling). I hope you can see my reasoning.

last edited by banani2804

You can vote on Community Servers if that option is ON

@xXxRayRocks There really should be a mapvote system on officials...

@xXxRayRocks: There are no populated community servers in Europe.

@planetcanada: Exactly!

Yesterday, there was [FfF] Frag, Fun and Fair in France and there’s also KSK in Europe or Russia that is full.

Once they add XP to use community servers, that should help (possibly remove a few NWI servers and save them money) if community servers are using their default rules for XP.

Come and play tonight on Canada U.S. Quebec xXx at 8 p.m. Eastern Time (usually add +6 or 7 hours). We will play Outskirt on both sides in Push 🙂

Even if NWI would integrate the mapvote function, how do you think would it affect the group when changing the map ?
As we all know the group/team does not get on the exact same server/game even when all of the players click on "next map" on the top after each
finished match ( the screen where we can see the earned XP , Rank, earned tokens and available new clothes ).
As long they don´t fix that, they cannot integrate a new mapvote function as almost half of the team still would play on another server/game.

last edited by GSG_9_LIGHTNING

@banani2804 said in Great patch, but mapvote is desperately needed:

@xXxRayRocks: There are no populated community servers in Europe.

@planetcanada: Exactly!

Yes there are hundreds of populated community maps based in the EU, have you even tried looking? Senior Citizens is a very popular community server i like.

We need a mapvote system, it makes no sense why it was a neglected feature, I like community servers but i like gaining xp and leveling so i can customise my insurgent and marine.

@xXxRayRocks; @Depleted; Well, there were exactly two populated "Versus" (Skirmish, Push, Firefight) community servers yesterday evening (Sunday, 10 pm, CEST). The aformentioned FfF with 9 / 30 players and the KSK which had 5 / 30 players. So what the heck you are talking about?

@GSG_9_LIGHTNING: Of course I do want map vote AND staying with your team. I can't even imagine those two things apart, so I forgot to mention the (for me quite obvious) connection.

I still do not understand why they did not handle all of this the same way they did in Ins2014 because it worked quite well. You stay in the same server with the same people until you leave and at the end of each map a vote system popped up to see which map the majority would like to play next. This would work just fine even for official servers and it boggles my mind that they have handled this the way they have... I am talking specifically for versus though as that is all I play but either way co-op as well though I’m not exactly sure how that is currently handled.

@banani2804 Didn't even need to read your post, honestly. Just read the title and was like "yep, this man is right".

I have no idea why the fuck you're kicked from each match after it's over. Maybe it's designed around "Competitive" play. Guess what, NWI; I'm not queueing for Comp because I don't fucking play Comp, so why does the matchmaking work like Competitive does when that's not how Ins2014 worked at all?

last edited by MarksmanMax

Hey 🙂
We are aware that those features are highly requested and I will send this thread to the dev team so they can see how strongly you feel about them.
Have a great one!

last edited by Raibi

Big yes to both from me

@planetcanada said in Great patch, but mapvote is desperately needed AND the ability to stay with your team!:

I still do not understand why they did not handle all of this the same way they did in Ins2014 because it worked quite well.

Because Sandstorm uses matchmaking, while in Insurgency 2 you could only manually join servers. I like this change, as it makes playing the game simpler and playing with friends easier.

But it makes implementing a map vote system more difficult, since after every match you don't just stay on the same server with the same group of people, you get pulled back out into matchmaking again. The best way may be to have the vote happen before the start of each match, but then anyone who gets dropped in partway through the game will never get a say in what they play.

@MAA_Bunny It can’t be that difficult and I never had any issue playing 2014 with friends. Very simple and rarely had an issue obviously providing the server(s) we generally played on were not full. Anyways this really is not my main concern with this game in the slightest just thought that little things like these in this thread were a no brainer...

@MAA_Bunny And just to add to that when CODMW drops me and my friends will being playing a lot of Hardcore Search & Destroy which uses matchmaking and yet somehow we will still be able to stay together and more than likely vote on the next map in which we wish to play just like tons of games since just about forever! Funny... But just sayin...

@planetcanada said in Great patch, but mapvote is desperately needed AND the ability to stay with your team!:

@MAA_Bunny It can’t be that difficult and I never had any issue playing 2014 with friends.

Playing with a group of 3 people. I join a server with 4 slots open, myself and 1 friend join, the 3rd tries to join and oh nuts the server is full now. Game just started. Do we both quit and screw the team we just joined? Does the third friend sit on comms and listen while we play until someone leaves the server? I'm glad to have never had that issue in Sandstorm now.

The devs have already added map vote for servers joined off the server list, just like Insurgency 2, I'm sure they're working on a system for it in matchmaking games as well.