Hardcore coop : Mosin upgrades

Hi !

I just had a suggestion to make.
Hardcore coop is nice. It's not the game mode we all expected to be back from Ins2014, but it's something.
The mosin respawn thing can be rather funny, but in its current state, it's more tedious than funny.

So, my suggestion is this :

• Make everyone respawn with an upgraded mosin. Nothing too practical like sights would be. I'm thinking about adding the greased bolt and stripper clip only. That would make playing the mosin less of a bore and more of an interesting challenge.

@Grumf said in Hardcore coop : Mosin upgrades:

Make everyone respawn with an upgraded mosin. Nothing too practical like sights would be. I'm thinking about adding the greased bolt and stripper clip only. That would make playing the mosin less of a bore and more of an interesting challenge.

NWI did comment that they don't want to make the Mosin bolt faster (well, they specifically said they know people are gonna complain about it lmao). Stripper Clips would be neat.

That being said, I think I just want more ammunition in general. You're actually, in a way, kind of penalized for not dying in some cases, as you'll run out of Mosin ammo within a couple of objectives. It's at least annoying on Outskirts which has no small ammo crates and only one resupply box.

@MarksmanMax I don't like the way they handle things... They do their stuff, knowing the core gamers won't like it, but they couldn't care less. No one asked for that hardcore checkpoint (or arcade) mode. People wanted the return of some other modes like Hunt or Conquer, but nope. We got a CoD like mode and a variation of an already existing mode instead.

It even goes against their own rule of "not splitting gamers into too many different modes"... I'm seriously concerned about the future of Sandstorm.

last edited by Grumf

No one asked for that hardcore checkpoint (or arcade) mode.

I want some of the OG modes, but at least HC actually feels somewhat like Insurgency: Source. It's the only reason I'm even playing Sandstorm atm.

It even goes against their own rule of "not splitting gamers into too many different modes"...

I mean, to be fair, there was only one Cooperative mode, anyway. Sandstorm was planned to release with three: Checkpoint, Outpost, and Operation.

@MarksmanMax

I want some of the OG modes, but at least HC actually feels somewhat like Insurgency: Source. It's the only reason I'm even playing Sandstorm atm.

Meh... I don't find the differences that much bothering, tbh. I even feel like I'm sprinting way faster in Ins2014 than in Sandstorm. Might be the 110° fov compared to 100°, I don't know.

I mean, to be fair, there was only one Cooperative mode, anyway. Sandstorm was planned to release with three: Checkpoint, Outpost, and Operation.

And yet, we have absolutely none of those except checkpoint, but we still got a competitive mode that's broken and that no one uses, an arcade mode (that is going to see other game modes added to it) and an hardcore coop mode that is the same as regular coop but with artificial handicaps.
It's only fun because it's new and anything new feels refreshing after playing a few hundred games in the same game mode in the same 6 (now 7) unexploited maps.

last edited by Grumf

It's good that NWI listened to the community and added a more difficult mode.

It's not great that the "community request" got short-circuited to a weird loadout restriction.

Given how many people are loving the new mode with a few big exceptions - namely the Mosin - I'm hoping there is another adjustment on the horizon.

@jballou There should not be a need for a more challenging coop mode... The standard one would fulfill that need if the AI was properly coded and the map 100% exploited. Not to be harsh with the devs or anything, but it's a pretty well recognised fact that the AI is all over the place, and that most of the maps' surface is useless. Having big maps is visually cool, but if most of it doesn't serve much purpose aside setting as a marksman, that's kind of a waste.

Even in the last map, which is probably the best about playable area being used, there are huge/otherwise interesting parts in which no one will wander because it's useless. Like those places (especially the construction site with the crane, tbf) :

Capture.JPG

Now if you start looking into what areas are left aside in other maps... I'm pretty confident Crossing may be the worst.

last edited by Grumf

@jballou said in Hardcore coop : Mosin upgrades:

Given how many people are loving the new mode with a few big exceptions - namely the Mosin - I'm hoping there is another adjustment on the horizon.

I actually like the Mosin on respawn, probably because it can bypass some AI bullshit with its one-shot capability.

@jballou There should not be a need for a more challenging coop mode... The standard one would fulfill that need if the AI was properly coded and the map 100% exploited. Not to be harsh with the devs or anything, but it's a pretty well recognised fact that the AI is all over the place, and that most of the maps' surface is useless. Having big maps is visually cool, but if most of it doesn't serve much purpose aside setting as a marksman, that's kind of a waste.

Yeah, but given that, at least there is some progress towards getting us the game we wanted, right? 🙂

@jballou And more division of the playerbase as a consequence of too many (and similar) game modes, just like what devs wanted to avoid... Plus, hardcore coop is kinda cool, but really feels like a difficult arcade coop mode due to its artificial difficulty based on unrealistic handicaps.