The Weapon Put-Up Animation

I made a similar thread a couple of months ago, back in March, about basically the same thing here: https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/36964/strange-ads-animation

I'll link the same video I posted before in this thread, as the animation hasn't changed at all.

Youtube Video

I'm mainly talking about this bug again because of Hardcore Checkpoint. You're often down to your good ol' ruski Mosin-Nagant in HC, and this animation can really fuck you over here. Due to the length of the rifle and the lack of any 1x optics (as all 1x optics stay centered regardless of weapon movement), this animation will prevent you from using your sights for what feels like an eternity.

Hitting your shots is paramount because it's a bolt-action rifle, and since it doesn't exactly fire very fast, you'll mainly end up using this gun while peeking in and out of cover. This is another reason why this animation is particularly painful in HC, because if you accidentally ADS before you fully peek out of cover, your weapon will launch upwards, and it takes a solid second or more for your sights to realign. In HC, this can cost you your life as the bots are no joke and will kill you fast, especially in close quarters.

This animation was in Ins2014, but it was considerably faster. Now, many animations in Ins2014 were fast due to the nature of the engine (no way around it), but it helped a lot in CQB. I doubt many people died because of this animation. In Sandstorm, though, it's actually faster to leave ADS and re-enter ADS than it is to wait for this animation to complete, which is ridiculous. I think it just needs to be sped up, even if it looks a little insane, because it makes the gunplay smoother in CQB.

last edited by MarksmanMax

This has gotten me killed several times. I just thought it was because my PC was slow, but your video illustrates it really well.

Hope they fix this ASAP

It's good to know even a year later they still haven't fixed one of the most annoying mechanics that ruins corner/cover adsing and now it's worse.

Yup. The problem is the animation for lowering the weapon is far too slow.

I've tested it and the lowering animation is MUCH slower than the ACTUAL time it takes for the gun to be back on target. What i mean by this is.

LONG before your sights are aligned, you are able to shoot at the point your sites WILL be aligned with.
Youtube Video

@Depleted said in The Weapon Put-Up Animation:

It's good to know even a year later they still haven't fixed one of the most annoying mechanics that ruins corner/cover adsing and now it's worse.

lol yup.

@Turyl said in The Weapon Put-Up Animation:

Yup. The problem is the animation for lowering the weapon is far too slow.

I've tested it and the lowering animation is MUCH slower than the ACTUAL time it takes for the gun to be back on target. What i mean by this is.

LONG before your sights are aligned, you are able to shoot at the point your sites WILL be aligned with.
Youtube Video

Ooh, that's a really good video demonstration, actually. This has to be a bug, then.

Compromise option: Allow players to add a "compress stance" bind, so that we can choose to just have movement blocked when the gun touches a wall instead of yanking it up like a friggin' weirdo.

In real life, when movement of a shouldered weapon doesn't fit with the terrain, we'll either take it to the low ready or put the stock under our armpits to point shoot, and pop it out once we're past the obstruction.

The whole mechanic of prioritizing movement over weapon readiness is in direct opposition to what a real soldier would want, and I assume counter to what most players want.

Letting players do something like using a specific bind, or even just aiming up or down, to activate the weapon shift mechanic would make it much less obnoxious.

Bumping this because it needs urgent attention!

@Congas said in The Weapon Put-Up Animation:

Bumping this because it needs urgent attention!

This bug's probably responsible for 1000+ deaths in Sandstorm now lmao.

It's funny that some days you see the community manager/liason officer posting to insignificant threads with zero traction saying they'll make the devs aware of an issue, yet threads like these with seriously issues just go completely under the fucking radar, and the devs wonder why their game is dead.....

@Depleted said in The Weapon Put-Up Animation:

It's funny that some days you see the community manager/liason officer posting to insignificant threads with zero traction saying they'll make the devs aware of an issue, yet threads like these with seriously issues just go completely under the fucking radar, and the devs wonder why their game is dead.....

This exact thing has really been pissing me off lately. I've talked to my friends about this exact thing.

Would it be a good idea if there were to make a couple changes to the animation where the weapon model would be push back instead of using the weapon put up animation?

Something similar to this video:

Youtube Video

last edited by LDClaudius

It seems like this would be a fairly easy thing for NWI to fix...

...so what the hell is the delay?

@Congas said in The Weapon Put-Up Animation:

It seems like this would be a fairly easy thing for NWI to fix...

...so what the hell is the delay?

At this point I really don't think the mods or the devs really care.

Hello everyone!

Just saw this thread!
@Turyl Thank you for this clip. That one is really helpful! I'll pass it on to the team, so they can look into it!

At this point I really don't think the mods or the devs really care.

Guess I was wrong. Chaton's back at it again lmao.