Dialogue Type/Choices

I haven't played previous spider games - what sort of dialogue system can I expect from Greedfall? How do spider games dialogue compare to other rpgs like from bioware?

Have their protagonists been silent or voiced?
Are their dialogue trees branching or linear?
If/when selecting dialogue choices are they presented as the full line or paraphrases?

Hi GrannyWeatherwax,

As you can understand we won't detail now very low level design and user interface informations. I advise you to take a look on our previous games to see what kind of system and logic we like to put in place.

Thanks for your interest.

@grannyweatherwax said in Dialogue Type/Choices:

Have their protagonists been silent or voiced?
Are their dialogue trees branching or linear?
If/when selecting dialogue choices are they presented as the full line or paraphrases?

According to their last games:

• hero is voiced
  • branching trees
  • dialogue option is both full text and abreviation (If I remember correctly unimportant general questions use abreviation of full text while story choices use full text)

In case of dialogues Spiders is good studio that make the better choices. I hope they will try to avoid wannabe modern design like dialogue wheels with short abreviation of full texts that hides real answer - that is nonsense in RPGs with C&C. How can you immerse player into a game world and present him reasonable and interesting story choice if you hide him whole content of the choice, his/her tone etc? Its stupid design catered for mainstream players who dont play much RPGs but like to watch movie-like cutscenes.

last edited by Farflame

@farflame
I'm glad to hear they give full lines in atleast some cases as not knowing what my character will actually say has always been a great source of rp frustration for me and resulted in reloads when i misguessed the meaning of a paraphrase.
Hopefully greedfall wil have that too.

@grannyweatherwax

I played two of their games and they handled it differently.

Bound by Flames was older, and the dialogue option was similar to what you see on bioware’s Older wheels with less choices (two was normal). There was a lot of autodialogues. The character had her own personality, and you could not impact it. Choices were practical not to change your char’s personality. Your major choice in the game was one thing that changed character dramatically.

In Technomancer there was a bit more options, but they were worded in the third person, like “compliment her appearance” “say she is brave” etc. Then Zachariah took it away with his dialogue lines. I think Zachariah had a bit more flexibility in his personality depending on his choices, but not as dramatic a difference as between Renegade and Paragon.

If it is like previous games, I think it is most comparable to Inquisition.

Everyone is voiced, yes.

Hope this helps.

last edited by Domi

@domi said in Dialogue Type/Choices:

@grannyweatherwax
In Technomancer there was a bit more options, but they were worded in the third person, like “compliment her appearance” “say she is brave” etc. Then Zachariah took it away with his dialogue lines.

You are right. I forgot. Anyway I would prefer longer abreviations or full text, but I think there wasnt problems with abreviation there. So I hope it wont be worse in Greedfall.

@farflame I am playing Mars War Logs now, that came between Bound and Technomancer, and the choices are similar to Bound by Flame but more coloured by the personality, mainly making you to justify the descision that Roy already made, then Roy takes it away and rewords your explanation. It is not as obvious as three flavours of Hawke, but I think the idea is sort of the same. Same outcome, fifferent motivation.