Hunter in first reveal teaser

Is the red-headed "hunter" colonist from the very first reveal teaser going to be an in-game character? Are we going to be able to find out what started that chase and interrupt as De Sardet? (This cliff hanger has bugged me since the teaser first came out!)

The native woman he was chasing appears to be in the latest story trailer twice... Soo....?

If he is I'd guess he's from the Religious faction. They seem to be the one who are most anti-Native so I wouldn't put it past one of them to go hunting Natives down.

@Fortune86 Definite possibility. I would have thought he'd be decked out in some Inquisition looking gear though. He always struck me as a spoiled noble looking for some sport. I'm guessing there's a number of characters that will see the Native people as "animals." I'll be a bit disappointed if the Religious faction are the only "bad guys" though. I bet we'll see some questionable ethics from the other factions too.

@valla Bridge Alliance seem to have potential too. In gameplay that we help Native and kill invader, we lost some reputation from Bridge Alliance because of that.

I'd guess that all the factions have their good and bad points (and members) but not all the evil ones will be anti-Native. If each faction is either mostly good or mostly bad, then every 'good guy' or 'bad guy' playthrough will mostly end up the same.

Yea I hope it goes beyond anti native. I want some rivalries between the colonist factions that can erupt depending on your choices.

If I have to guess.

Theleme - Want to convert Native to their God of Light. That's full conflict with Native.

Bridge Alliance - Want to harvest resource on the island and that cause some tension to Native.

Sailor & Coin Guard may not have conflict with native directly But they still invader in Native's opinion.

Merchant - Stay neutral at beginning and that can change base on De Sardet decision.

It could be a three-way thing. Both Theleme and the Bridge Alliance are antagonistic towards the Teer Fredean but they also fight each other, with the religious views conflicting with scientific theories.

Perhaps the Nauts and the Coin Guard are also hostile with each other? Longshot as we know nothing about them yet, but I could see differing views over money and freedom.

My guess is the following

Congregation of Merchants
Good: prefers stability and peace over war in order to facilitate trade
Bad: overlooks oppression and exploitation in favor of stability and trade

Bridge Alliance
Good: seeks knowledge for the betterment of mankind
Bad: willing to destroy what they study or what conflicts with established knowledge

Coin Guard
Good: honorable warriors
Bad: willing to instigate conflict for gain

Theleme
Good: helps the poor
Bad: does not tolerate rival belief systems

Nauts
Good: eager to explore new areas
Bad: in favor of colonialism to the detriment of natives

Teer Fradean
Good: live in coexistence with the environment
Bad: growing intolerance of the colonists, potentially extremist

last edited by Eagle Pursuit

I think you may be right with most of those though I think the Bridge Alliance would be more likely to perform unethical experiments than destroy knowledge. If they are working on a cure for the disease everyone has they may do some pretty nasty stuff as a part of it.

@Fortune86 said in Hunter in first reveal teaser:

I think you may be right with most of those though I think the Bridge Alliance would be more likely to perform unethical experiments than destroy knowledge. If they are working on a cure for the disease everyone has they may do some pretty nasty stuff as a part of it.

Yes, unethical destructive study is what I had in mind. Like killing and dissecting the magical creatures from the island. Or ultimately trying to genocide them if their existing knowledge cannot explain them.

One want to convert Native belief by force. Another want to use native as lab rat. I feel bad for them already.

I hope PC can convince them to change method.

If the natives are immune to whatever disease is affecting people it wouldn't be unexpected for at least one or two scientists to try and figure out why. Given the time period, I imagine it's going to involve cutting people open and suchlike.

I do hope the Teer Fradean have bad points other than 'We're pissed at these newcomers who are stealing our land and murdering our people'. Though given that parallels between them and real life indigenous people who had similar happen will be drawn I think Spiders will have to be careful how evil they can be presented.

@Fortune86 said in Hunter in first reveal teaser:

If the natives are immune to whatever disease is affecting people it wouldn't be unexpected for at least one or two scientists to try and figure out why. Given the time period, I imagine it's going to involve cutting people open and suchlike.

I do hope the Teer Fradean have bad points other than 'We're pissed at these newcomers who are stealing our land and murdering our people'. Though given that parallels between them and real life indigenous people who had similar happen will be drawn I think Spiders will have to be careful how evil they can be presented.

Spiders mentioned there are different factions in the natives so I imagine there will be bad blood between them as well as the colonists.

Also yes I hope this game is as brutal and brutish as it needs to be. It will be one of my tops of the year for sure if they pull that off.

@valla Look like your hunter is come back on new trailer. His appearance change dramatically but I think it's him.

@Ben-Kenobi Thanks - yeah! I noticed he made a recent re-appearance... he has the same eyes and eyebrows (along with his signature "biting off the cartridge" move...)

Now, I'm trying to figure out what the heck happened between the original chase and present? I had the impression that the island had been "discovered" within a decade... the hunter seems to have aged significantly during that time.

Is the first chase scene that De Sardet witnessed some sort of remembering/"dream quest" of the Native people on how some of the first interactions between the two peoples went down? The most recent trailer has a voice over (what I think is the male De Sardet's voice) stating: "I saw many images. They were so real." So that's where my idea of a dream quest or something similar comes in.... That might explain the hunter's aging as well? Maybe the hunter is one of the first explorers or conquistadors that first "discovered" the island? Or maybe some kind of magic or curse put on him by the Native peoples because of his actions? Any other interpretations or guesses out there?