Subsonic ammo, locked doors and death throes

just some ideas i've had to perhaps add some more depth to gameplay and raise skill ceiling.

Subsonic ammo - quieter (no supersonic crack) but lower effective range, travels slower than normal rounds( would require more skill at longer ranges), could have less penetrating power than normal rounds, although the low penetration should perhaps be only applied to objects not players and body armour for gameplay reasons. cost 1 or 0 or wutever the devs feel like.

Locking doors - ppl could shoot out the lock of a closed door to "lock it", requiring enemy players to either breach of shoot out the hinges, thus revealing their location, basically a door with the lock shot out cant be opened in the standard way, and requires some more thinking.

"Death throes" - this is already kinda ingame but just as an aesthetic thing. so when u shoot and kill someone in anywhere but the head they drop on the floor and kinda wriggle around a bit before dying. i propose that when this happens the ragdoll is shouting, calling for help, saying their hit etc until they acc die. mechanics could be add where the player can shoot the downed ragdoll to finish the kill and stop the shouting. this can be used in tactical gameplay to not alert other enemies and encourage well placed headshots.

welp there they are, if need be i could explain further. hopefully these are fairly simple and don't require any new art assets just the fleshing out of existing aspects of the game for add depth and fun 🙂

I like the subsonic ammo part, it could definitely add another variable to suppressed firearm play.
Locking doors would be an interesting angle to take, though at the moment I sometimes find it tricky to shoot hinges properly, though that could be resolved by learning the location better. Shooting the lock out could be an option too.

Subsonic ammo could be cool - but it's realistic usefulness would be rather limited. Typically 5.56mm and 7.62mm weapons will not cycle properly with subsonic ammo, basically turning them into manually cycled weapons. 5.56mm in particular becomes pretty useless as a combat round when loaded subsonic since it gets most of its lethality from velocity.

9mm is a good choice for making both subsonic and supersonic loads.There's not a huge difference there typically, as the standard 9mm loading isn't far over the sound barrier in most weapons - but on an SMG rated for +P loading (which is most military SMGs) you'll start to see a bigger difference.

Of course the king of utility with subsonic and supersonic loading is .300 Blackout, and it would be super cool to see the two different ammo types available if we ever get a .300BLK rifle in the game.

@T3L3PATH said in Subsonic ammo, locked doors and death throes:

I like the subsonic ammo part, it could definitely add another variable to suppressed firearm play.
Locking doors would be an interesting angle to take, though at the moment I sometimes find it tricky to shoot hinges properly, though that could be resolved by learning the location better. Shooting the lock out could be an option too.

if u cant hit the hinges i can always just kick it down 🙂

@_ZKWS_ Subsonic ammo sounds good, but I guess it wouldn't be that usefull anyway.

I like the idea of locking a door, though. The main problem I can see with that is trolling... Some people would just lock as many doors as they can, forcing their teammates to breach everywhere. That, or just some players blocking the way with a locked door without being purposely toxic.

Death throes are already kinda ingame, but I guess it's not an entirely bad idea. The problem is that NWI would then have to improve AI to react to the screams of the mortally wounded. And we all know how they struggle at producing convincing AI...

We already have subsonic ammo, 45. ACP. Does it have a supersonic-crack in game?

i did not know about this, enlighten me

@Muhammad The standard .45 ACP load is subsonic by default. You need to run +P loads to get the projectile supersonic, something a lot of .45 weapons do not support.

@ham-cucumber Well, sorta. Because .45 is also pretty large bore it also makes the suppresser itself less effective - the bigger the hole through the center of the supresser the more gas pressure gets through the make noise. So while .45 ACP is cool for supressers because it's always subsonic, it's also one of the loudest supressed calibers.