Tire track textures being implemented, plz

I'd like to know if there are any plans to make it so we can use our own tire tracks when uploaded to the WS. As of now, the track textures get renamed and are useless. They work fine before publishing a mod but once it's on the WS, the tracks don't work because they get renamed.

Can we please get this fixed? There is no way I can find to make this happen as it is now.

Thank you

How could I make custom tire tracks for my mod if I may ask you??

@sam3053 said in Tire track textures being implemented, plz:

How could I make custom tire tracks for my mod if I may ask you??

Look in the texturecache.zip and find these 2 texutres, or 2 of the others. There are a few different ones.

tracks_offroad_alpha__s_d.dds
tracks_offroad_height__s_d.dds

You need to make 2 like this to match your tire tread and give them a unique name for you wheels.

I use 3ds Max and select the outer polys of the tread, UVMap them using cylindrical and then render to texture for the pattern.

Then color them like the original textures that I mentioned above.

last edited by Tattoo

@tattoo Thats so complicated. Just to get tracks that don't work yet. lol

@roughrider, How is it so complicated? It's frickin' easy to do. And what do you mean that they don't work yet? Who told you that? lol. They work just fine. I've made a few of em already.

@tattoo Sounds complicated anyway, and they don't currently work on the workshop. I hope they add support for them in the workshop. Just to be clear, I do support you making them haha

@roughrider, Oh yes, you are correct. They do not work in the workshop. I thought you meant they don't work at all. lol

@roughrider, I re-read what I typed and it may sound like I came across as ignorant or insulting. I apologize if it seemed that way. I surely didn't mean it that way.

I can't open these files so I don't know how they look like

I can't open these files so I don't know how they look like

Irfanview

@Tattoo Hi I have created the tracks the way they should, but how should I name the files and how can I set them in my 'TracksTexture' line in my wheel xml??

@sam3053, This is what I used in a Nix mod from the workshop. I haven't tried to publish one yet but this what Pavel says to use from this link

Mass="200"
	Mesh="wheels/46f8ee42b"
	Radius="0.52"
	Width="0.38"
>
	<WheelTracks
		TextureAlpha="tracks/Nix02_alpha__s_d.tga"
		TextureHeight="tracks/Nix02_height__s_d.tga"
		 />
	<WheelFriction BodyFriction="2.2" SubstanceFriction="2.2" />
	<WheelSoftness RadiusOffset="0.03" SoftForceScale="0.12" />
</TruckWheel>

You also can remove this line if it's in there.

TracksTexture="default"

@Tattoo do you have to make a submap called tracks in your texture map or do you need to name it like tracks/......._alpha__s_d.tga??

Thanks for the quick reply man!!

@Tattoo do you have to make a submap called tracks in your texture map or do you need to name it like tracks/......._alpha__s_d.tga??

For Nix' mod, I named the textures

tracks_Nix02_alpha__s_d.dds
tracks_Nix02_height__s_d.dds

and put them in the ' _t ' folder.

But you can leave off the ' tracks_ ' on each and place them in the textures/tracks folder.

@Tattoo alright, it still don't work for me, I let away the '_template trucks' at the top of the script and added the <wheeltracks ...... />, maybe I did something wrong with the textures because irfanview showed the original textures red, so I made my textures the same way and exported them as an .dds after this I created a 'tracks' folder in my 'texture' folder and putted the two textures in there and at last I changed the xml for the wheels (without the _template). Any idea how to fix it and I also have floating addons in multiplayer, when I drive my own car only other people see floating addons

@sam3053, I couldn't tell without knowing what all you did. If you post the contents of the .xml, we can start there. Also, are the texture extensions correct in the .xml?

last edited by Tattoo

@Tattoo

<TruckWheel
Mass="800"
Mesh="wheels/amazonnia39_5"
Radius="0.52"
Width="0.323"

<WheelTracks
	TextureAlpha="tracks/amazzonia_alpha__s_d.dds"
	TextureHeight="tracks/amazzonia_height__s_d.dds"
/>

<WheelFriction BodyFriction="2.35" SubstanceFriction="2.35" />
<WheelSoftness RadiusOffset="0.03" SoftForceScale="0.12" />

</TruckWheel>

I know about the wheelmass but that's balanced with a center of mass of -1.

@sam3053, What is the exact name of your textures and do they look similar to these? And what did you use to convert to .dds?

tracks_offroad_alpha__s_d.dds
alt text
tracks_offroad_height__s_d.dds
alt text

I used paint.net to convert it to .dds and they look almost similar to those, I have no faded edges because I was just testing if it would work. I called them 'amazzonia_alpha__s_d' and 'amazzonia_height__s_d'

@sam3053, I'm not sure how paint.net does .dds files. The only other thing i can suggest is try using .tga files instead. And faded edges wouldn't stop them from working. Sorry man, I dunno then. I only did them on one Nix's mods and I used the _t folder for the textures. Maybe try that.