Where to find/how to make map image?

This is driving me nuts...where do I find or how do I make an image of a map?

When you browse map mods, most have a birsdeye view image of the whole map, so you can see an overall picture of the map. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get an image like this of my map...

I’ve searched all the editor files and all I have is heightmaps or distribution maps etc. I know it must be somewhere because an image like this is displayed in the editor when you’re working on a map I just can’t find it!

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot of the In-game map? or are you maybe just talking about the .stg?

@kent_bobo said in Where to find/how to make map image?:

Screenshot of the In-game map? or are you maybe just talking about the .stg?

Yeah not an in game screenshot, I thought it would be the .stg but when I open it in paint.net it just shows the height map, not all the other details. Any advice on how to view it properly if that’s the file I’m after? Thanks

Hmm I've actually never really though that much about it.. but I'm sure someone will have the answer you look for.

@kent_bobo said in Where to find/how to make map image?:

Hmm I've actually never really though that much about it.. but I'm sure someone will have the answer you look for.

Thanks anyway 🙂 has anybody else got a solution?

@Torridon88
Is it the "level_mapname.dds" maybe? The "billboard" is like what shows when you're selecting your map in-game, right?

@mexican_420 said in Where to find/how to make map image?:

@Torridon88
Is it the "level_mapname.dds" maybe? The "billboard" is like what shows when you're selecting your map in-game, right?

That's what I'm trying to get but when I open the .dds file in paint.net or photoshop all I get is a blank map with just the water showing. Google comes back with nothing.

@torridon88, The .dds uses an alpha channel now and is why they are all dark now. You need to remove the alpha channel and you'll see the detail again.

Also, The image you see when selecting a map is flipped vertically from what you see when you open the .stg in an editor or graphics program so you need to flip it vertically again to look correct when viewing it not in game.

edit: sorry I meant the level_mapname.dds uses an alpha map now, not the .stg.

last edited by Tattoo

@tattoo said in Where to find/how to make map image?:

@torridon88, The .dds uses an alpha channel now and is why they are all dark now. You need to remove the alpha channel and you'll see the detail again.

Also, The image you see when selecting a map is flipped vertically from what you see when you open the .stg in an editor or graphics program so you need to flip it vertically again to look correct when viewing it not in game.

edit: sorry I meant the level_mapname.dds uses an alpha map now, not the .stg.

Nice one! Thanks for this, much appreciated.