Update on the game

Is there anything to share about the game and if not can someone confirm if it is still being worked on or not?

They started that they will reveal a lot more in a few months. I would advise checking back March at earliest.

@thauth said in Update on the game:

Is there anything to share about the game and if not can someone confirm if it is still being worked on or not?

From the devs:
"Necromunda: Underhive Wars - coming in 2020

Hello folks,

As we are reaching the end of Q3 2019, we feel the time is right to let you know Necromunda: Underhive Wars will be released in 2020.

Our initial 2019 window included a period of Early Access, like we did with Mordheim: City of the Damned. As we moved away from this idea, we reorganized our development schedule, hence the 2020 release.

Somewhere in early 2020 we will share the official release date along with everything that can be expected from a proper communication and marketing campaign, such as screenshots, trailers, and much more.

Rest assured the entire team is working tirelessly to create the Necromunda video game reimagination this great community deserves.

Thank you."

We know they're working on the game, but even a little bit of info would make us happy

i'm pretty sure they've remained united is not saying anything. i've personally decided to give up hope. i'm not even sure the development company is still developing the game. for all i know they've gone out of business. and if they havent. they should. lack of communication while developing a game is pretty sad. its like they totally do no care about their community that was starting to grow. #hopethisgamefails

I want to believe but when the website still says 'coming 2019', it's not a good sign.

@randommexi said in Update on the game:

i'm pretty sure they've remained united is not saying anything. i've personally decided to give up hope. i'm not even sure the development company is still developing the game. for all i know they've gone out of business. and if they havent. they should. lack of communication while developing a game is pretty sad. its like they totally do no care about their community that was starting to grow. #hopethisgamefails

Posted by a dev on December 30th 2019, so 40 days ago. Pretty recent.

"Hello,
Like I said before. We'll have more to share in 2020 only. Give us a few months to keep putting in features and some iterations on our core gameplay and there will be plenty then.
Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year folks! 🎁 "

And please don't post rude hashtags hoping the game fails and wishing for them to be out of work. Clearly you are here because you are a fan and you do want this game and you want it to be great, so stop being toxic towards the very people making the game and kindly wait and hope for the best like the rest of us.

Yes, a lack of communication sucks. But I watch so many games on Steam with little to no contact from devs for many long months or so, then suddenly a new massive patch, DLC, expansion, or a new game just drops without hearing a word for a very long time. It doesn't always mean the studio tanked or they are not working hard on it. Just means they need to hire a community manager to stay in touch with fans more often.

I've closely followed a game before and I can attest that more information is not always better. Won't go into specifics, but on the game I followed the devs talked a lot to the community from the beginning, and while it initially caused a lot of excitement it eventually backfired. There were mistakes made in development, and while the changes were significant enough to be a problem, I could only conclude that earlier oversharing made the response much worse. One issue on the community side was that every feature or idea the devs talked about was taken as a promise by a certain percentage of people. There's no doubt that they game they wanted to develop was significantly different than the one released, however, oversharing on led to a rather large minority feeling betrayed. I'm pretty sure that had they not talked about features that could have been included, the response to the game that was actually made would have been better.

In short, I've seen first hand why a developer wouldn't want to talk too much about what their game will be before the features are pretty solidly implemented. I doubt there is going to be the same level of content changes on this game, but content development is a difficult process that has unexpected obstacles, so I could see issues arising if they were to talk about specific features, people becoming invested in those features, and then it becoming a big deal if they fail to deliver on those features. Whether the game turns out to be good or bad, it'll be judged harsher if people have too specific of an idea of what the game is supposed to be beforehand.

I'm happy for them to keep things under wraps and I'll be really excited when they do make an announcement. But when you're so silent people start to think your studio has gone bust, you might have played things a bit too close to your chest.

I remember bannerlord was announced in like 2012
8 years later, It looks pretty great, and since patience seems to have paid off then
I can wait for this too

I'd really appreciate a dev blog of some sorts though.
I am curious if early 2020 means maybe february, march or when

last edited by A Former User

@DeTortor said in Update on the game:

I've closely followed a game before and I can attest that more information is not always better. Won't go into specifics, but on the game I followed the devs talked a lot to the community from the beginning, and while it initially caused a lot of excitement it eventually backfired. There were mistakes made in development, and while the changes were significant enough to be a problem, I could only conclude that earlier oversharing made the response much worse. One issue on the community side was that every feature or idea the devs talked about was taken as a promise by a certain percentage of people. There's no doubt that they game they wanted to develop was significantly different than the one released, however, oversharing on led to a rather large minority feeling betrayed. I'm pretty sure that had they not talked about features that could have been included, the response to the game that was actually made would have been better.

In short, I've seen first hand why a developer wouldn't want to talk too much about what their game will be before the features are pretty solidly implemented. I doubt there is going to be the same level of content changes on this game, but content development is a difficult process that has unexpected obstacles, so I could see issues arising if they were to talk about specific features, people becoming invested in those features, and then it becoming a big deal if they fail to deliver on those features. Whether the game turns out to be good or bad, it'll be judged harsher if people have too specific of an idea of what the game is supposed to be beforehand.

You most be taking about Eternal Crusade.

Focus home Interactive said in their investors call that they where going to be showing off there games for this summer at pax east. So if it's not their then I would really be worried about if this game will ever get released.

Got bad feeling about the status of the game. FB and Twitter accounts of it are dead, last post was in 2018.
Website is also dead, still wroten 2019 as the year of publishing the game
Baaad feeeelings..

Yeah if we don't see some significant stuff around the time of pax east then things are going to be looking a tad grim. Hopefully the game isn't 'stuck'. So little info about the game, no indication that we will be getting all six house gangs either.

Please, let's all try to have faith. They have said, in the past, that communication would be infrequent and not informative but they have promised that they are working hard on the game. I'd rather have their team creating the game than communicating with us, I don't believe that they have a dedicated community representative so they're all working hard on the game rather than talking to us. If I lived in Canada I'd offer my services free just cos I live this game so much.

No need to have faith. The game isn't ready yet. It is being worked on.

Personally, I would not expect it before summer. I'm guessing it will be a fall release, if not later towards Thanksgiving/Christmas. But think it is pretty likely we'll see more of it this year.

@djrdavidray You caught me, I was trying to avoid stirring up residual drama.

Ignoring the specifics, in EC's case early on the game they described was going to be Planetside 40k. In reality what we got was more akin to Space Marine's Multiplayer v2. Not going into various issues, I think that if the community hadn't been expecting Planetside 40k the reaction to what they were actually able to create would have been better. I'd say at least there wouldn't have been the level of bitterness. In that case, development plans versus development realities certainly led to the game being more harshly judged.

In Necromunda's case, some of us discussed features we'd like to see. One that seemed pretty popular was meaningful territory control, in my case I want gangs to actually have bases on the map that can be upgraded and attacked by other gangs in campaign mode. They've never commented on the idea, but if they had even say they like it and would try to implement it, it'd be more disappointing if that doesn't happen. Generally though, I think at the very least we can expect Mordhiem with more guns. That'd be fine by me. I hope that there will be more Grand Strategy built in, and I assume that they'll add more depth from the Mordhiem model, but since they haven't gone into specifics it'll be easier to judge the game on what it will be rather than what I hope it to be.

@DeTortor I completely agree when I first heard about EC and the early concepts, I was completely enthusiastic about it. Then when it was early in its release, I became dissatisfied with the final product. Although the game itself is actually quite good its not what I got hyped for. These things happen when the community gets involved from the absolute beginning. I only have a vague understanding of how difficult it is to create a computer program let alone add the complexity of visual art and sound to it, so I'd love to create really complex content that is probably not feasible to do That's why I think it's good that we have little clue as to what's going on in the development team at the moment because we might just jump on ideas that might not actually be possible to implement. Even if Necromunda is a more guns port of Mordhiem I'll be happy, but I expect they're going to add some nice new features, they've had a good load of commentary from the community and they can work on from Mordhiem so I expect something more bit who knows what.

@Adam_rush29 It's my understanding that Necromunda will launch with all 6 house gangs playable at launch, with a 4x style campaign map and possibly (probably) on a different engine to get some better looking graphics based on what screenshots we have. If my understanding is correct, it'll be a massive amount of content compared to Mordheim to develop even if they are able to build off of it. Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on a way to get more content into the game easier down the road considering GW continues to release new models and rules for the table top game and possibly even trying to let modders create content to increase the lifespan of the game once they move onto a new project.

@Just_Click In the 2019 July issue of White Dwarf there is an
article about Necromunda UW and they said "Houses Goliath and Escher will be available upon release, with possibility of other gangs appearing later in the game's development."