Bring back the technical

I get the technical is buggy and performance hungry but it was such an iconic part of the game especially for the coop only community members such as myself.
To remove the technical seems to be big step in the wrong direction.

I tend to disagree. I think it only made things more chaotic, less tactical.
I thought it was cool at the begining, but I learned to dislike it with time. Plus, it was a huge problem in coop mode. AI was insufferable when using the mounted MG.

In my humble opinion... It's a good riddance. Made the game less like Insurgency, and more like Battlefield.
A step in the right direction to keep the original spirit of the game !

yeah, i tend to agree that the AI were kinda stupid on the MG, with the instr head shots and shooting through walls but that is inherently a issue with the AI. If captured, a technical could offer your team some of the most tactical decision making IMO

I completely agree, technicals were some of the best content in the game. You had to coordinate with your teammates, have someone distract it and someone else kill.

There's just less variety to the combat now

@Grumf said in Bring back the technical:

AI was insufferable when using the mounted MG.

Nobody seems to notice that the bots will only john wick you if you peek from the same spot after it's already seen you...the first time you peek, you have a window of about 1-2 secs (it's actually a lot of time considering the rate of fire of the gun, plus the typical reaction time of even a fairly new FPS player) before it blows your head off, and even longer if you drop to the floor and start spraying the gunner's face.

Case in point: A bot once saw me and I dropped straight away to the ground, I missed two shots with a greased bolt M24 before finally exploding his head with the third shot.

The official reason is "performance" but it's probably because every now and then someone would goof around with it and then it'd get yeeted into the stratosphere. If it were also due to bot AI, then this is akin to demolishing a school because its teachers consistently produce poorly educated students.

last edited by edbods

@Comrade8500 Less variety ? Maybe, maybe not... It was more of an annoying routine for me... You see a techie ? Grab your rocket launcher and destroy it. No strategy needed. It was loud, glitched, unnecessary, and a pain in the butt in coop... Contrary to fire support, which is a properly implemented feature. Well enough so it doesn't harm the Insurgency 2 vibe, at least.

The technical gave the impression the game tried to be a (cheap) copy of Battlefield. Insurgency 2 is a great game, partly because it's infantry focused. There are only two viable options here : either put vehicles in the game like in Squad, but then it's not an Insurgency game anymore and probably would not do vehicles as well as in other games (Squad, ArmA, Battlefield etc)... or don't put vehicles into the game at all. Works like a charm, and feels like actual Insurgency.

@edbods Nah. It was quite random. Sometimes it would kill through walls without even you peeking (probably based on noise detection), sometimes it would not even aim at you... The reaction time would more often than not be predator-like. More of an AI problem than a techie problem, but still... The techie made the worst side of AI shine like a bright middle finger in the face of players. It was always the first thing everyone would focus on at the beginning of a counter-attack. Like I said... Routine... Unfunny and unsurprising gameplay mechanic imo.

Now that it's gone, I can finally enjoy peaceful urban firefights again. Just my opinion, but hey...
I feel like most players started playing on Sandstorm... They all want techies, multiple zoom levels for 2x scopes, huge maps, arcade game modes... Bothers me. They'd be way happier on World War 3. I know it won't bother you all, but at least I can still give my opinion.

last edited by Grumf

@Grumf said in Bring back the technical:

I tend to disagree. I think it only made things more chaotic, less tactical.
I thought it was cool at the begining, but I learned to dislike it with time. Plus, it was a huge problem in coop mode. AI was insufferable when using the mounted MG.

In my humble opinion... It's a good riddance. Made the game less like Insurgency, and more like Battlefield.
A step in the right direction to keep the original spirit of the game !

The technical vehicles WERE the spirit of the game. Give me an example of ANY modern warfare scenario where there were NO mounted guns used, honestly, I had to look this up myself... the 1860's was the first use of a mounted machine gun, and I can't think of a conflict where they were not used since.

Not to mention how unbalanced the game is now with the Security team having the helicopters (which have the mounted guns) and Insurgents don't.

Again, this was a unilateral decision affecting the hard code of the game, which should have simply been modified to be a server variable or mutator modifier. LET THE SERVER OWNERS DECIDE! Do what you want with the official servers, but let us decide what we want to do on the community servers.

Give me a no smoke mutator!

#BringBackVehicles, #NoSmoke

@Joker9799 Does it matter ? Insurgency 2 doesn't have mounted MGs on technicals, yet it is still a great game. Like I said, newcomers want all kind of crazy things... I think some novelty is good (air support for instance) and some is wrong, like techies or ridiculous recoil on LMGs.

Also, Security can use techies too... I don't see your point. BTW, can you name any conflict not using smoke ? See ? You contradict yourself, now... Not good.

last edited by Grumf