The Epic Store Question.

With the recent trend of Epic store exclusivity deals; I would really appreciate a clarification (whenever you are able) as to whether or not this game will be available on steam or if it will be exclusively made available on Epic Store.

Personally I really hope that path is not taken. (Even if it is only for a limited time)

The reason developers are going with Epic is due to cost. Steam takes 30%+ of all sales through the Steam store. That's a lot of overhead the game developers have to overcome or compensate for. Epic is taking around 10%, so it is easy to get developers to try them out. This price point is part of why Bethesda created their own store/launcher/distribution for Fallout 76, instead of using Steam.

Steam is also turning out to be a bottleneck. Steam has ~90 million subscribers. Epic has more than 250 million off of one damn game. The number of eyeballs/impressions for developers is far, far greater than Steam, and at less than half the cost.

The Epic store is new, and the demographics of the Epic userbase may favor certain games, but expect to see a LOT more games launch on Epic and not Steam. And yes, expect to start having multiple game site accounts. Steam, Epic, GOG, Origin, etc.

@Cetera
So there is nothing negative to you if they chose epic store exclusivity?
Now if they told me that chaos cults, skavies, and a bunch of dlc ect. were guaranteed to be funded by an exclusivity deal I might change my mind cause I want more stuff lol

Other than that, not really.

last edited by A Former User

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly get a word in.

Everything is still possible at this time.

The digital PC game market is shifting quickly and with huge players like Google joining the fray, more changes are bound to happen in the marketplace. We are keeping track of things and will do what is best for the game and our community in the end.

I mean, a few years ago most games were sold in brick and mortar stores... the times, they are a changin. :smiling_face_with_open_mouth:

@gingerroebro said in The Epic Store Question.:

@Cetera
So there is nothing negative to you if they chose epic store exclusivity?
Now if they told me that chaos cults, skavies, and a bunch of dlc ect. were guaranteed to be funded by an exclusivity deal I might change my mind cause I want more stuff lol

Other than that, not really.

I never said that, or anything close to it. I currently use both Steam and GOG.com, and it isn't ideal. I tend to get focused on one or the other for a good while, and then months later "rediscover" a cool game in my library on the other one and play it for a while. And managing more accounts is always a bit of a hassle.

I'm simply stating why companies are using Epic over Steam, and that the status quo is over. Things will be different in the future, and it doesn't matter if you or I like it or not. And that change isn't going to stop with Epic, as @Frank_Lalight points out.

The good news is that generally more options and competition brings out good for consumers in the long run, either by innovation, new services, or lower prices.

last edited by Cetera

@cetera

Well I already know why it happens, its not like its something new by now lol
The point was to see some of the personal opinions on the possibility of an epic store exclusivity deal and to (more importantly) find out from the good ole devs what to expect.

I'm not trying to imply your opinion, I was trying to ask if your opinion was that it wouldn't be that big of a deal if it did. Not really in favor, but not all out hating it either.

That is why i stated mine in the reply lol.
I'm more of a not the end of the world, but would still prefer to not have an exclusivity deal unless it ends up getting us some form of extra dlc being budgeted like chaos cults or skavvies or gene stealer cults for example. Then I'd be all for it.

In short, you simply seem to have failed to see the point of the post. Its been obvious as to why it happens. I'm simply asking for views on peoples personal perception of them doing so if they were to and in the hope of getting a confirmation on whether or not there would be one. It gets no more simpler than that.

last edited by A Former User

@frank_lalight said in The Epic Store Question.:

Hey guys, just wanted to quickly get a word in.

Everything is still possible at this time.

The digital PC game market is shifting quickly and with huge players like Google joining the fray, more changes are bound to happen in the marketplace. We are keeping track of things and will do what is best for the game and our community in the end.

I mean, a few years ago most games were sold in brick and mortar stores... the times, they are a changin. :smiling_face_with_open_mouth:

My only potential issue is the security concern. Dealing with multiple launchers and accounts doesn't particularly bother me, but the Epic Store has some notorious security policy flaws. Fortnite, I suppose, presents an enticing opportunity, so perhaps it's just a popular target, but there is a significant trust issue with Epic that's largely absent from Steam or GOG.

ill pernale hope they dont go Ecip store only
do i can see why they might
ecip store is pro dev but anti consumer

realy hate have add more games i wont be able to play anytime soon (borderlander 3/phonix point)

and im kind looking forward to this game do love mordhiem and more off fantasy fan then sci-fi it strile sound like i could be fun

I don't think it'd be a very good idea, Epic has managed to amass quite a bad reputation in a short amount of time.

put it on the epic store no problem put it on the epic store only and the shit storm starts and that's the way it should be

exclusivity is bad options are good

i would like a gog version but that's me

the 250m epic subs is a very misleading number its true but a much better number would be number of of accounts with more than 20hrs of non fortnight pay time accounts yes epic has lots of subs but how many of them are for fortnight and nothing else

@Cetera said in The Epic Store Question.:

The reason developers are going with Epic is due to cost. Steam takes 30%+ of all sales through the Steam store. That's a lot of overhead the game developers have to overcome or compensate for. Epic is taking around 10%, so it is easy to get developers to try them out. This price point is part of why Bethesda created their own store/launcher/distribution for Fallout 76, instead of using Steam.

Steam is also turning out to be a bottleneck. Steam has ~90 million subscribers. Epic has more than 250 million off of one damn game. The number of eyeballs/impressions for developers is far, far greater than Steam, and at less than half the cost.

The Epic store is new, and the demographics of the Epic userbase may favor certain games, but expect to see a LOT more games launch on Epic and not Steam. And yes, expect to start having multiple game site accounts. Steam, Epic, GOG, Origin, etc.

It's alarming how much misinformation is in this post of yours.
Comparing active users to total users? Fortnite has 250m registered users, with under 9m active daily. Steam has over 1 billion users with a 90mil active daily.

Epic doesn't release numbers, so it's hard to tell what actually goes on with their deals, but we do know they offer lump sum payments in the millions for exclusive rights, and they do it through sales of the game--example, they will buy 300k copies of the game.

They revenue split is very misleading as well. While Steam takes 30% (this is also misleading as they have a variable scale based off sales, and it goes down to 20%) of sales through their site, Valve provides Steam activation keys free of charge and does not receive any share of the purchase price when a game is sold by third-party resellers.

Epic is wasting money trying to force exclusive deals to bring users in instead of investing that money in basic things like a community hub, or a shopping cart, or maybe cyber security as they seem to have a massive hack every couple months where every single users login information is compromised.

@Ezekial No misinformation at all. Since neither company publicly publishes user statistics data there is always lots of extrapolation and hand-waving. I'd love to see any data you may have on Steam having a billion active users.

And daily eyeballs are hardly a key stat for trying to market video games, although monthly eyeballs probably is.

@Ezekial said in The Epic Store Question.:

@Cetera said in The Epic Store Question.:

It's alarming how much misinformation is in this post of yours.
Comparing active users to total users? Fortnite has 250m registered users, with under 9m active daily. Steam has over 1 billion users with a 90mil active daily.

Epic doesn't release numbers, so it's hard to tell what actually goes on with their deals, but we do know they offer lump sum payments in the millions for exclusive rights, and they do it through sales of the game--example, they will buy 300k copies of the game.

They revenue split is very misleading as well. While Steam takes 30% (this is also misleading as they have a variable scale based off sales, and it goes down to 20%) of sales through their site, Valve provides Steam activation keys free of charge and does not receive any share of the purchase price when a game is sold by third-party resellers.

Epic is wasting money trying to force exclusive deals to bring users in instead of investing that money in basic things like a community hub, or a shopping cart, or maybe cyber security as they seem to have a massive hack every couple months where every single users login information is compromised.

For saying somone else post misinformation I would think you posted some links to anything you say about numbers so clearly you dont like Epic and just say the old mantra without the numbers.
You know you have to sell a lot of games to "only" give steam 20%?

current	peak	 

Concurrent Steam Users: 19,599,982 20,072,483

Thats far from your 90m
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

Is a bit old so this could have changed:
"Valve typically has taken about 30 percent of all Steam sales through the platform, with a few exceptions from other utilizing the Steam Direct platform. Now, for game sales between $10 million and $50 million, developers will earn revenue split at 25 percent. For every sale after $50 million, Steam will only take 20 percent from the game’s overall earnings."

Don't care about the numbers. If Epic buys exclusivity for a (half)year I'll just wait untill it hits Steam

I'm 40, been playing Games Workshop my whole life, graduating from tabletop everything to digital everything and now even own shares in the company. This is an essential purchase.

However, store exclusives are the antithesis of PC gaming and I won't support them.

I really hope they don't go the exclusive route, but looking at it positively if they do then I look forward to a year's worth of patches, DLC, and a sale price for the steam launch as every other EGS-to-Steam title has done.