New Map - Highwater - Available Now

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but not to the game.

Highwater is now finished and ready for release. I will not be adding anything else to this map but I will fix and update it should any of you run into problems. Just comment on this discussion or add me on steam to report any bugs.

In the true spirit of the official Mudrunner trailers, here’s an overly dramatic preview of the map:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLYFHV6asiI)

You can download the map from Dropbox:

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6okfl6oiipgft8/Highwater v2.0.zip?dl=0)

Link Updated to new version - 17/12/17

Or mudrunnermods.com:

(http://www.mudrunnermods.com/highwater-map-v-2-0/)

Link Updated to new version - 17/12/17

There's something for everyone in this map - Logging, trailing and exploring.
Highwater is my first map created exclusively for Spintires: Mudrunner. It's a large logging/trailing hybrid map based on a valley with a swollen river at the centre. There are three objectives, two garages, one fuel station, one log pickup, numerous watchpoints and hidden vehicles to unlock. The map features many different routes, from muddy roads to dirt paths and rocky trails. The majority are not marked on the map.

There are two versions of the map each with different starting conditions. The hardcore start challenges you to find hidden vehicles carrying garage parts needed to unlock the first garage. The casual start gives you one unlocked garage and a few vehicles from the beginning. You'll find both versions in the download, check the readme for details.

Thanks to everyone who play-tested the map and for their feedback and suggestions, I hope you like the final version!

Firth

last edited by A Former User

@Torridon88
Looks great from the preview! I've been putting dozens of hours into a trailing map myself, but yours (and a lot of the others I see) make mine look like a 6 year old scribbled it on the back of a cocktail napkin with a crayon...
How do you guys do it??

@mexican_420
Thanks for the compliment and lol at your description of your own map! Remember that with any creative pursuit you will always be your own harshest critic. You’ll see every detail you weren’t happy with or wish you did differently, most other people won’t. I did this with my map, but then the response I got from people who played has been really ecouraging.

Stick at it, keep trying the map out in game so you can see how it will look to the player and don’t forget to include the little details that make it seem more real. Look at real nature for inspiration, then lay your tracks and trails out around the landscape.

It also takes time, at least it did for me. This map looked like junk after about 60 hours of work. After another 30 hours I released it for testing and it still didn’t look that good as far as I was concerned. Another 40 hours of detailing later and I was happy to call it finished but I’d still have done a lot of things differently.

Man, this is what this game is all about.. We have been cursing in russian, estonian and english on several maps, but this map makes us silent - you only hear breathing (or holding breath) from co-players 😃 And the experience of winching yourself through half a map with a couple of liters of fuel 😃 😃 😃 Hope youll make more maps, really 🙂

I second that. And I add - u who created this map - you are crazy. Thank you for making me feel miserable, sad, exhausted. Best map ever. We will continue today and send u the pic of stats later.

@rat_013 said in New Map - Highwater -
Available Now
:

Man, this is what this game is all about.. We have been cursing in russian, estonian and english on several maps, but this map makes us silent - you only hear breathing (or holding breath) from co-players 😃 And the experience of winching yourself through half a map with a couple of liters of fuel 😃 😃 😃 Hope youll make more maps, really 🙂

Playing live. 2 views. Estonian blabber, sorry

View 1 http://www.twitch.tv/rihok/

View2 http://www.twitch.tv/rat_013

Playtime: 10h already.

@torridon88 Welcome to the community. I encourage you to hang out in the forums. You're very talented and you've put out quite a quality Logging map. I'm a trail mapper myself, and have been for a few years, I know what to look for, so take it as a huge compliment! I hope you stay around.

Yeah, was one great time to be wasted 😃

I’m pleased you all enjoyed the map, as a first map I never expected it to be so well received. Thanks for your encouraging words, it’s great to know it’s entertained you all so much! I wanted the map to be challenging but still fun to play. I hope I got a good balance between the two.

@roughrider thanks, it’s nice to hear that from someone who’s experienced with the editor. I’ll try to visit the forums more frequently and I fully intend on making more maps in the future.

I'll download this tomorrow and let you know how I go. I have more experience with making trails, but do enjoy the odd logging trip.

You seem to know what you're doing though which is fantastic, more map makers the better 🙂

Please do more maps 🙂 after that every other map feels boring 🙂

@mihkel-jacksoff I'm already working on my next map. Hopefully it will live up to expectations 🙂

@digital-x I just released version 2.0 which hasn't been updated on the mod sites yet. You can get it here for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6okfl6oiipgft8/Highwater v2.0.zip?dl=0

@torridon88 said in New Map - Highwater - Available Now:

@mihkel-jacksoff I'm already working on my next map. Hopefully it will live up to expectations 🙂

This one we're eagerly waiting 🙂 Please do make also (if possible) a "normal" and hardcore version, if you have time for that.. We see now many maps being "downgraded" to less pain, luckily we have managed to play some of them at v1 hardcore 🙂

just curious, but why is this not posted in the modded section?

btw, this is not directed to the OP, but really more towards these threads about modding and mod files in the general discussion section. the idea being people do not have to "jump" from section to section on the forums for info.

last edited by A Former User

@8up-local my bad, this was my first post, I didn’t even realise there was a mod section until I’d already posted it here.