Rocks physics

Great, now we have much more correct physical models of rocks compared to the first versions of the game, thanks to the developers!

But still a few questions about the rocks:

• Now it looks like the physical models of the rocks are a little bigger than their visual models, and the wheels never touch the rocks because they are always at short distance from them.
  • Aren't the rocks too slippery? They should feel very close to the asphalt, but feel like something between asphalt and ice (especially considering that the asphalt is too slippery in this game too)
  • Not about rocks, but about stones - it seems that their physical models are little bigger than the visual ones too, and at the same time they feel light and made of polyfoam.

I haven't played PTS yet but all hard surfaces are super slippery. Even the concrete obstacles in test map are like ice.

• The stones are absolutely like styrofoam. They need more friction on surfaces, when you touch them they just move over without any resistance, especially noticeable on the big stone. The weight i dont know that is hard to tell, with the minimal friction they have on the surface they slide away so easy it may look they have low weight, as said it is hard to tell for me, but the fricion of them on surfaces is not ok i think.

• I think the rocks have ok grip, rocks are no asphalt. Asphalt is designed to be grippy, it has perfect micro and macro roughness for road wheels to grip into, at least when new, the old it gets the more slippery it gets.
    A mere rock in nature has none of that and offroad wheels have a smaller contact patch than road wheels.
    Also you often have one or several additional mediums on natural rocks(but you dont see that in game!) like dirt/sand/pebbles and moss, all this makes them a lot more slippery compared to asphalt. To give natural rock comparable grip to asphalt would be terribly wrong in my eyes.

last edited by Actionjackson

I can confirm that my Chevy and my Scout 800 often hover over the rocks not touching them. It was very impressive at Smithville Dam , the steep incline down to the lake where the Difflock for the CK1500 is hidden. I didn’t touch the ground in this rocky couloir.

last edited by LordEisi

@Actionjackson said in Rocks physics:

I think the rocks have ok grip, rocks are no asphalt. Asphalt is designed to be grippy, it has perfect micro and macro roughness for road wheels to grip into, at least when new, the old it gets the more slippery it gets.
A mere rock in nature has none of that and offroad wheels have a smaller contact patch than road wheels.
Also you often have one or several additional mediums on natural rocks(but you dont see that in game!) like dirt/sand/pebbles and moss, all this makes them a lot more slippery compared to asphalt. To give natural rock comparable grip to asphalt would be terribly wrong in my eyes.

Okay, I agree with you here, I was wrong about the asphalt. But still, it seems to me that the rocks should have more friction, maybe like old polished concrete. Now rocks feel slippery as after rain (although it seems that rain in the game does not affect surfaces friction)

last edited by elDakh

I think the rocks are ok. It´s the tyres Modell which didn´t touch the surface. The smaller tyres seem to be larger in there collide box then in the optical Modell. Grip is so bad on rocks largely because the suspension is so hard that the whole car rocks like mad when driving over rocks. We need better suspension in the scout cars!