Automatic transmission skips gears when downshifting.

Sometimes the automatic transmission will shift from highest gear to lowest while moving, skipping all in between gears. This also results in a sudden drop in speed. Without being a mechanic, my logic tells me the forces involved would potentially destroy the transmission.

last edited by idiocracy

This is quite annoying. Sometimes you just want to maintain a cruise speed but the game keeps up/down the gears.

its because you're driving in bad terrain..

all vehicles in game drop down from high to low gears once you go in a bit of mud

This is an old issue ported from MudRunner, though in the earlier versions of that game the automatic was better before Saber broke it. I totally agree it's annoying and should be fixed. The downshift logic isn't right at all, especially when you just let go of the throttle on flat asphalt and instead of cruising the trucks aggressively shifts down gear by gear all the way to first gear and loses most of its momentum.

I really wish we have a manual option (with clutch) like we did in MR so I could get away from the automatic.

@Agnolini said in Automatic transmission skips gears when downshifting.:

This is quite annoying. Sometimes you just want to maintain a cruise speed but the game keeps up/down the gears.

H-gear is your friend... install an offroad transmission, then immediately switch into H when you're offroad (you have to have a small amount of speed built up first or it'll stall).
You'll maintain that gear up to the point that the engine starts to stall, no automatic downshifting.

@grimdanfango It's hard to keep momentum in H without stalling, especially offroad. And on road, it's too slow. The best you can do to maintain speed is not fully release the throttle for too long.

@Unster

Or have three different gear modes (think of console players)

(a) Automatic box with a manual up/down option. Two buttons. Something like the current R -> L -> A Box.

(b) Low Gears with 5 manual "low" gears plus R, nearly all with difflock if the vehicle has it. R, Ö-, L, L+, H- H+. And shifting by up/down buttons. Your job to select the proper one. Please allow two high gears. Should be the gearbox of choice for "true offroading".

(c) Road gears. Kind of "automatic transmission", but your job to select the gears and to shift up/down IN TIME. Should have 5 gears plus R. Should have advantages onroad.

The "Clutch" could be used to select the active gearbox mode. There are currently three "gates" implemented....

last edited by JTT

so many text...
just use the “clutch” button to up/downshift and be happy...

@Stazco said in Automatic transmission skips gears when downshifting.:

so many text...
just use the “clutch” button to up/downshift and be happy...

Sorry, but that's not a solution to anything. Yes the transmission seems to upshift temporarily when you press the "clutch", but then soon picks another gear if it wants to. There isn't a good logic to it. I say Saber should at least bring back the old transmission from the early days of MR (before the the Ridge DLC). That one worked decently. But even better is the manual with clutch in MR.

This issue persists in patch 7.
In summary, gearbox will downshift to first gear skipping all gears in between, so jumping from 6'th to 1'st.

last edited by idiocracy