buggy "retro cam" bouncing around with taill trailers

@Jellyfoosh

Issue retro Cam: ANK38 plus the green "service trailer".

Youtube Video

And that was neither fast nor the worst road.... Please fix that cam. I really like the retro cam in 3rd person "middle" view, but with tall trailers you get really seasick with the cam trying to avoid "collisions" with the bouncing trailer. And obstacles nearby do not exactly "help". As soon as I switch to chase view for trailer its ok (2nd half).

last edited by JTT

Yeah I've noticed that too but I wouldn't have my hopes up as even the d-pad camera hotkeys that have been a staple of the ST/MR games since the very beginning have also been taken out and replaced with nothing. Players don't seem to mind so nothing on the horizon for camera improvements.

There is a mod for no collision camera, you could try that in the "meantime" (ie : most likely forever)

I get the cynism but personally i am hopeful the team now has some more budget to work on these things with the amount of copies they sold and their stronger partnership with Focus.

I mean, they already added a retro cam so why wouldn't they take that effort to improve it some more?

As i am on PS4, could someone tell me this "retro" cam is what is sounds like, the same cam as we know from ST / MR? Hard to tell from a video but it does seems like it?

Standard Cam on PC - you do not have a "parallel to ground" move of your camera. Only rotation.

Retro - You have 3D control and can put yourself in a proper "chase view" or even side view parallel to driving direction. Camera is roughly a bit above the rear axle.

I dont now ST/MR camera. never tried the two.

@supercancellife said in buggy "retro cam" bouncing around with taill trailers:

I get the cynism but personally i am hopeful the team now has some more budget to work on these things with the amount of copies they sold and their stronger partnership with Focus.

I mean, they already added a retro cam so why wouldn't they take that effort to improve it some more?

As i am on PS4, could someone tell me this "retro" cam is what is sounds like, the same cam as we know from ST / MR? Hard to tell from a video but it does seems like it?

The retro cam is actually called Legacy and is carried over from the Spintire days. It was a point of bitter contention, but also a big part of the identity of the game.

Essentially :

Default cam : centered on the truck, you circle strafe the truck and it's centered on it at all times.

Legacy : different "anchor points" are scattered around and over the truck, and when you move the camera around, it snaps itself to those anchor points (usually the wheels, but it's hard to describe). Each anchor point offers a radius of a certain angle that allows you to "turn your neck" without circle strafing to the next anchor point. If you exceed the rotation that your "neck" offers, the camera moves to the next anchor point. So essentially you can circle strafe around the truck AND turn your neck to look around. It takes some practice and getting used to, especially when toying around with over-the-cab views but I think it's an incredibly clever and super cinematic system that was masterfully augmented by the quick snap hotkeys that got removed.

Mudrunner was the best camera system (both legacy and default) that these games ever had.

last edited by Piecekeeper00