Latest works in progress, models!

The builders were not very good, and left a terrible mess at my house.. Cannot get the staff these days!

Quite pleased with these models, trying to make the game feel more full, and alive.

alt text

nice work! Got some cool items

not bad. one question, what are they leaning against? looks like it could be stone walls or hay bales? will figure stone walls replacing the fences?

They're meant to be stone/concrete walls. But having difficulty getting the textures right. It's stretched when it reads the png from the texture folder. Hence thin, stretched, faces on objects look really squashed.

Still all need UV Uwrapping but I cannot figure that out yet.

The fences I still use. Will be making a metal gate too, if possible one that swings open using a Dynamic variable in the xml like the single logs rolls on the ground, but vertical attached to a Static cylinder shape. Like a hinge.

last edited by Digital X

@digital-x yeah there are a few things i have found that usually will stretch the image like that. quick fix of making the image a bit squished (if that makes sense) so that when it get stretched when applied it ends up looking normal. although i do not think this is the correct fix, it should work in a pinch.

How do I do that fix? I tried UV Unwrapping but its a bit much for me at the moment.

I dont know what I need to select etc.

What do you use as model program??

I use 3DS Max. Some models look fine, it's mainly the circular rocks that seem to have their texture "fall" into a pinpoint. The pallets and tubes are fine however.

Did you ad a uv mapping and a uv unwrapping to the model in 3ds max??

I don't know a thing about UV Wrapping, I think that's the issue.

This is as far as I got last night:

alt text

You should unwrap the rock, not the cdt. The cdt wont be visible, the rock is. After you have added the unwrapping, reset xform, etc. and have exported your solid texture as an .DDS, you have to collaps them to the object by right clicking on the list on the right of your screen. Then your model is done for exporting (as far as I know, I don't do models) and when you apply your texture it should be normal. What texture program do you use??

Gotcha on the unwrapping I think. I use Paint.net, my files in the texture folder are all png, is that an issue? I see Spun/Nix's rock models use tga? But opening those in Paint.net they seem to have separate areas for each "face" of the rock.

@Digital-X
I found Paint.net didn't handle channels and layers very well with certain image formats...
Track yourself down a copy of Photoshop and grab the Nvidia DDS plugin.

Can Paint.net not have the plugin? If any version of PS is legitimately free I will have it, but not torrents, thank you.

.TGA works as well, thats what I use but I use substance painter tot create and save the textures

I'll try TGA, I tried unwrapping the UV, I get a red wireframe then I get stuck..

This is only happening with rocks, or long objects so I can live with that. Just to have figure something else out.

Nice work. Doing custom objects is a challenge for sure. I'm just now getting into it myself. I have a lot of work to do to learn UVW unwrapping.

@digital-x I would say, try finding it on YouTube. I can try to explain it, but it is a lot quicker to find tutorials on how to save the textures in 3ds max.
When you really can't find it I will try to explain the things I know but right now I'm really busy with other things, sorry.

yeah i've been slammed the past few days. Every time i try to get around to doing a quick unwrap tut something comes up.

You want to apply a unwrap UVW
0_1517514875927_Unwrap UVW.png

The green line is your seam mark.
This is where the UV will split.

I'm going to post a series of screenshots that should help out some. I can't make a video yet because i'm not on my personal PC. But these should help.

0_1517515733084_Unwrap UVW.png
0_1517515738901_unwrap_pelt.png
0_1517515744330_unwrap_pelt_2.png
0_1517515749963_pelt_stretch.png
0_1517515755198_pelt_stretch_2.png
0_1517515770474_pelt_uv's.png
0_1517515779270_relax_pelt.png
0_1517515784785_pack_custom.png
0_1517515789338_pack_custom_complete.png
0_1517515793283_texture.png
0_1517515796615_texture_correct.png

With the texture applied it will show your UV is stretched or anything.
0_1517515929195_texture_messed_up.png

If your texture shows like this at all your material you apply will not look right.
You want the blocks and number/letters to look even and squared.

last edited by 89cherokeelimit