Latest works in progress, models!

Thanks, ill try and follow it.

My UVWrap is like a green sparkler just slapped on where it's warping too.

@Digital-X
I learned a lot from these tutorials, including UVWUnwrapping...

gimp does .dds with a plugin, and is legitimately free.

@mexican_420, They look like some helpful tuts.

For textures, .tga is best when having an alpha channel.

Also, when creating models, it's best to have your system units set to Meters because I found most things, made correctly, were created using meters. It seems to be the standard and when wanting to export for the game, your models don't need to be resized to the correct size. No guess work. Make it to size and export.

You can see how to set up the System Units from the first 30 seconds of my video Here

Setting the sizes is something I didn't do.

I'll try that today thanks. Just been playing bowling and catapults 😉 Took a while for the catapult to work but I am pleased with it.

Have to go shopping but I will post images of them later.

last edited by Digital X

yeah pins work well man good work 🙂

I'll see if I can do that shuffy, thanks for the texture help btw.

Right, fun time. Please note these textures are placeholders, also models are not finalized, but close.

Catapult, and yes it works well!
alt text

And some skittles and ball. Mass was increased from 200 to 800 so slightly heavier, just seeing what works.
alt text

@digital-x Looks good!
The catapult bases look like they could be relaxed in the UV map to straighten them out a hair.
The side walls top and front could be unwrapped by themselves and flattened out so they are not squished.
The ball, I would try to make a seam around the straightest line and try to pelt map it to see if that would pull it out evenly so you don't get the spiral going to the center.
Pretty cool getting moving objects to interact.

The arms on the skittles could be unwrapped separately too, so they can be flattened.

Just some pointers for the unwrap and texturing.
Let me know if you have any questions on the unwrap.
Hopefully I can do a video tonight when I get home and see if I can touch more on unwrapping.

I'll try and tackle UVWraps over the weekend.

Thanks, moving objects is what I am experimenting with now. I had the idea for a large ferris wheel with moving seats, but it may be a bit much for me atm.

Tried the UVwrap pics you post cherokee, but it's just way beyond me, I need a step by step.

I just do not know what I'm doing.. ugh. I get that far and then no idea.

If I want to make rocks it needs to look, but clicking start this, stop that. I don't know when to do it. I need an auto unwrap but they cost.

alt text

I had the colours and characters nearly done just now. The top point was flat (not warped into pinpoint like before) but I forgot select the whole model.

last edited by Digital X

@digital-x, you don't need an auto unwrap. Max has everything you need. You just need to learn how to use it. I have some tuts on my YT page but not sure if there's a real good uvw tut. I'll look and see what I can find for ya.

Yes, that is the seem that divides the object into the UV's.

OK good, I used CTRL A to select everything, then Open UV Editor: https://i.imgur.com/y01oAyJ.png

You should actually watch all three of them since you need to know it all an not just the sphere.

I wanna tell ya this too. Since you're starting out with a sphere and deforming it into a rock, I'm guessing. What I would do is to unwrap the sphere right after you create it and before you deform it. If you're not deleting or adding more polygons, the sphere will keep it's UV's and should work better for ya. It's what I would do with it.

I'm starting out on a sphere yes, then adding Noise. So it's elongated with a few bumps with Fractal checked.

Thanks for the above. I'm sure I'll get it evetually.

Yes, them 3 tuts there should help ya out. Just know that it's just scratching at what you can do for UVW mapping. There are so many different situations and so many different things/ways to do it. There's just a lot to know so you're not gonna learn it over night so don't get flustered if you don't get it right off. It takes time to learn it all.

edit: Well maybe not so many different ways but absolutely more than only one way of doing it.

last edited by Tattoo