Insurgency maps remade using UE4

Are the Insurgency maps going to be remade in UE4 ?

and will these maps have any changes for 5v5 competitive ?

last edited by ZULU

Yes I believe so, but the Somalia maps and afgahn maps will be removed or remodled to be an Iraqi style enviroment

It's not Insurgency without Sinjar : ) You may hate it or love it, it's iconic and I hope it will be featured.

@Ciao
Sinjar is in Iraq so Im pretty certain It will be on there

The brutality of Sinjar is what sold me on the mod all those years ago haha. I'm sure we'll see it.

last edited by elliotgraytho

As much as I would hate to see certain maps come back, I don't know what I would do without them. I hope they bring them back too.

They said on a Q&A stream that some of the maps will feel "inspired" from original maps so we'll have to wait and see what exactly that means, I guess.

Fortunately, Insurgency always had a really skilled modding/mapping community built around it... so if a popular map doesn't make the cut or feel like it "inspired" enough, I'm sure someone would recreate it as soon as Workshop/Modding support is added.

It might feel a little jarring when a server changes from a really beautiful UE4 map to a more bland Source map though, lol.

@prevent Just wait until people start porting Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat maps

@prevent said in Insurgency maps remade using UE4:

They said on a Q&A stream that some of the maps will feel "inspired" from original maps so we'll have to wait and see what exactly that means, I guess.

Fortunately, Insurgency always had a really skilled modding/mapping community built around it... so if a popular map doesn't make the cut or feel like it "inspired" enough, I'm sure someone would recreate it as soon as Workshop/Modding support is added.

It might feel a little jarring when a server changes from a really beautiful UE4 map to a more bland Source map though, lol.

did you not see the screenshots that showed certain areas of source's maps ported into UE4?

@artificialsel I said the same thing on reddit when I got that answer during the Q&A. The first thing we saw when Sandstorm was announced was a really pretty version of Contact.

But a year or so later, they said that there would be no direct ports of Ins: Source maps on the dev stream.

Maybe it was something they whipped up just for that press release to give us an idea of what Insurgency could look like in a new engine, and that map wasn't ever intended for public release.

@prevent said in Insurgency maps remade using UE4:

@artificialsel I said the same thing on reddit when I got that answer during the Q&A. The first thing we saw when Sandstorm was announced was a really pretty version of Contact.

But a year or so later, they said that there would be no direct ports of Ins: Source maps on the dev stream.

Maybe it was something they whipped up just for that press release to give us an idea of what Insurgency could look like in a new engine, and that map wasn't ever intended for public release.

Well all I'm saying is that it proves that they can be ported and it might even be in some DLC, but also another of my ideas would be to incorporate some of these maps into larger ones, like Sinjar maybe could have even longer lines to be shot from :D, or ministry could be one building in a city, so they wouldn't be direct ports but still carry the feel and style of it.

Yeah I think there's even an automated way to transfer the BSP (buildings, walls, etc) from Source to Unreal, but I imagine one problem with having "classic" maps in the launch version is that it might lead to people heavily favoring those older maps since they are already familiar with their layout so the new maps might not get the attention they deserve.

Also, those Source maps have years of refinements & fixes behind them... so while the devs are doing their best designing the new maps and alpha testers are doing their best to find exploits and all that stuff in them, no amount of testing/design can really replicate thousands of people with thousands of hours finding ways to break a map.

So with that in mind, it's possible that people might heavily vote for the classic maps because this or that map might have a bug that is OP. Server owners might even take new maps out of rotation (like we did briefly with Verticality due to a graphical bug). But thinking long term we all need thousands of people pushing the limits of every new map so that way they can be tweaked and refined faster with maybe a single patch addressing several map issues at once instead of stretching out the process.

I do hope that down the road, maybe a year after release or so, we get a "Veteran" update which has direct'ish ports of some of the classic maps. I remember Socom II did this awhile back, basically they took a select few fan favorites from Socom I and released "remixed" versions of them in the sequel. Some of the changes were simply tweaking the time of day/weather effects, moving a bush here and there, etc. to give people the old maps they loved while still making them feel new & fresh. For example, a map like Contact might be interesting with the lighting changed to mimic the ambience of Revolt.

But like you said I think every Source map would need to be enlarged in some way... because I don't know how vehicles or fire support in Sandstorm could really work on any existing map. Imagine trying to drive a truck on Ministry, lol.

last edited by prevent

at least to solve the last issue @prevent the remakes could just only be playable on Push, Firefight, and other classic modes. Not every map needs to be playable on every mode (did Tell even have a Firefight version?)

@muzzle That's a good point. Not all maps need to support all modes. Sinjar & Station support Push & Firefight, but not Skirmish. Ministry supports Firefight / Skirmish but not Push.

So yeah, I guess it is possible to have direct 1:1 ports and just limit them to the modes where the maps shine at.

I find it funny that in Day of Infamy. There were a bunch of maps that would have played quite well for Invasion game mode. And there there a handful of maps that has... Firefight mode. The problem with playing Firefight game mode for most maps in DoI is that most of the cap points barely has little to absolutely no cover at all. It look like the dev must have ran out of idea and they rush in a half baked game mode that barely nobody plays. In fact, there a lot more player actually playing Invasion game mode than say; Firefight or Offensive. IMO.

So... Yea. It make scene that not all maps shouldn't have Firefight, Push and the such. It all some down with the level design and it up to them to decide if they want to go for design for Push or Firefight. Now, if only the dev were might to brainstorm a new game mode where it has infinite lives for console players.

last edited by LDClaudius