Winch release key assignment

It's been the R key since release but now it's re assigned to Esc? This is horrible.

ESC can exit any menu. Except "funtions". But with the "Abort" button on game controllers, you can leave really any menu. Incl. Functions.

Yes, the UI and user guidance needs really some love.

last edited by JTT

Have had a break from 'Hard Mode' for a month or so and have just come back for another foray into the field. Using the winch to restore uprightedness and went to use the 'R' key to release, only to learn by trial and error that for some totally unknown reason the previously assigned (since first release of game) key has been changed.

Now, the whole PTS thing was designed primarily for PC, or so I believe, and is usually controlled by a keyboard where the 'R' key is strategically placed in close proximity to the 'W' 'S' 'A' and 'D' keys and requires only a very minor movement of the left index finger to actuate. One now has to use the bloody 'ESC' key, no mean feat when wanting to use the other keys at the same time in an effort to maintain momentum either forward or reverse.

WHY?????

@Xenomethean said in Winch release key assignment:

WHY?????

I assume this happened because the winch release was re-assigned for controllers as it conflicted with the handbrake release

@mendel said in Winch release key assignment:

@Xenomethean said in Winch release key assignment:

WHY?????

I assume this happened because the winch release was re-assigned for controllers as it conflicted with the handbrake release

Huh? On gamepad with default control scheme handbrake toggle is RB, and winch release is B. No conflict. This change honestly sounds like an unintended consequence/bug of them changing something elsewhere, or for a bad platform port. Hope this gets fixed or justified with a good reason. Never read a single complaint on the forums/reddit about these controls to warrant this change.

@Orrus said in Winch release key assignment:

gamepad with default control scheme

there are 4 gamepad schemes, A-D

If it's been reassigned for a game pad then why? A keyboard and a game pad are 2 completely different things. I think it's time they let pc players assign keys, like every other game there is out there.

@bushwacker said in Winch release key assignment:

I think it's time they let pc players assign keys

PC players can assign keys (and wheel players can assign a lot of buttons)
but at some point all of the inputs from the hardware translate into actions in the software
and if the same software action now quits a menu and releases the winch, you can't assign them separately