Addition to aiming down sight

Youtube Video

i think the idea in this video by LevelCapGaming would be an interesting feature to add in Insurgency: Sandstorm

i see alot of people just skip sights in security because their sights have a larger housing, which could interfere them in detecting enemies (i once died because half of the enemy is blocked by the actual sight housing).

i believe the large housing is meant to protect the optics in them, maybe you could balance sights with smaller housing by making the optics crack after explosions nearby.

i hope that the devs will consider adding this feature to Insurgency: Sandstorm 🙂

tl:dw
the optic housing in video game is rendered in a 2D surface, irl you can aim with both eyes and the housing would just be a blur around the sight, the housing then becomes less obstructing to vision

last edited by Alilolo

That is a fantastic idea man

This post is deleted!

@thenickgann said in Addition to aiming down sight:

That is a fantastic idea man

thanks! dont credit me tho, give credits to LevelCapGaming for coming up with the idea

edit: i've heard the flashpoint community is the first to come up with this idea, creds to them

last edited by Alilolo

Thank you for posting this, we've passed it along to the dev team.

@alilolo Not LevelCapGaming. It was the Operation Flashpoint community that first came up with this idea.

The first concept was to make holographic sights completely transparent, which unfortunately never was implemented.

It would be great if Insurgency was one of the first (if not the first) games to fully implement this feature.

@simonsmaga i didn't know about that, thanks for the information!

@alilolo said in Addition to aiming down sight:

Youtube Video

Just watched the video. LevelCap's solution isn't realistic since he applied a one lens camera blur effect to an object you normally see with both eyes.

P.S. normally it would look smth like this:
alt text

last edited by SimonSmaga

@simonsmaga said in Addition to aiming down sight:

Youtube Video

Just watched the video. LevelCap's solution isn't realistic since he applied a one lens camera blur effect to an object you normally see with both eyes.

P.S. normally it would look smth like this:
alt text

i dont know how to feel about that, but have you seen American Army's ADS? i think they look better and less weird imo

i dont know how to feel about that, but have you seen American Army's ADS? i think they look better and less weird imo

No I haven't. Does it have a blur effect or something?

Btw this is my logic:
alt text
I think LevelCapGaming got that wrong.

Anyways, New World Interactive is going to find the best solution.

@simonsmaga 0_1518802752307_d1ad8040-99c8-4995-bda9-4d9a2080b830-image.png

maybe this is a different case since you are focusing your sight on different parts, your idea is based on aiming with both eyes and the image from those 2 eyes merge together, forming a blur

while the America's Army is based on your eye focusing on the front reticle of the gun's sight

also i think you would also have a blur on the gun in RDS (but not transparent), since your eye is trying to focus on the further distance of the target, so you basically have a floating reticle.

There are two phenomena to consider here: focus and parallax. We don't want the game to simulate those phenomena, but their benefits.

Parallax and binocular vision are the reason why you don't see your nose and other vertical objects that are close to you. It's something we want.
alt text

Focus is what causes the blur in America's Army and the depth of field effect.
alt text
DOF is something we don't want, despite it being realistic. Your eyes are always focused on your screen.

@simonsmaga

But since you are focusing on the target, you would see a clear image of it instead of blurring the field, my take is kinda similiar to csgo's AUG/SG553's scope (only that the housing would be blurred like i was suggesting, obviously)

last edited by Alilolo