Modifying existing map

Hi,

Is it possible to modify an existing mod map for personal use only from the DDS and STG files?

Im playing a map which is great except for one very slippery and tricky bridge, that I would like to replace with something else. This bridge is the only path to the load points that's why I want to suppress it.
Again, only for personal use.

Some good mod maps lack a bit of scenario too so I would like to change that (closing garage, adding some trucks with garage points,...)

Thank you!

@minikeum why don't you just increase friction on said bridge and make it passable?

Thank you for your reply!

That's a good idea!
How can I increase friction? Again, I'm not the creator of this map and as such, I only have the DDS and STG files that I downloaded from mudrunnermods.com

I have no experience in creating maps/mods. I am going to start looking into it, but right now, no experience whatsoever...

@minikeum let's start with what bridge it is either explain or screenshot it. 🙂

Thank you!

The bridge I have trouble with are the small bridges that seem to have sand on them. Usually they are not much wider than a truck, and are uneven.

If they are laid flat and in a straight line, they are perfectly fine. But if they are in a corner, or if they are off-camber, they are a nightmare to cross, specially with a trailer. I avoid these bridges as much as possible, but in the mod map I'm playing, you have to drive on one, no other option...

I'll send a screenshot tonight 😉

Im pretty sure it's this kind of bridge :
alt text

Ah ok so what you wanna do is go into mudrunner base folder like this mudrunner>>media.zip>>classes>>models>> and copy the bridge_dirt.xml from there and past somewhere as a backup. Then edit the xml in notepad. In the <_templates> section change like this:

<_templates>
<Constraint>
<Bridge
PlaneAxisLocal="(1.0; 0; 0)"
TwistAxisLocal="(0; 1.0; 0)"
Type="Ragdoll"
>
<PlaneConeMotor Damping="100000" Spring="1000000" Type="Spring" />
</Bridge>
</Constraint>
<Body Friction="2.0">
<Bridge
AngularDamping="2.0"
IsStaticSoil="true"
Mass="3000"
NoSoftContacts="true"
NoSoftImpulse="true"
/>
</Body>
</_templates>

Thank you very much! I'll give it a go! 🙂

@joridiculous you can absolutely do That! For the sake of brevity and simplicity I explained it the other way. 😉

I just tried your tip, it doesn't seem to help much... 😞

@minikeum try increasing friction value to like 4.0

I tried up to 10.0 without any major change...
Do I have to start over the map each time I modify the bridge_dirt file ? I do restart the game everytime, but I continue the same map each time.

Note that I'm "probing" the change on a very off cambered bridge that is on a different map than the one I really want to modify... I just use that bridge because I know it's impossible to drive on without slipping. And I believe the map creator knew that as well because it's possible to drive on the left of that bridge. Here is a screenshot that test bridge :

0_1519324108582_20180222192413_1.jpg

last edited by minikeum

And here are screenshots of the bridge I really want to (have to?) change :
0_1519324183145_20180222191413_1.jpg

Trying driving on the side :
0_1519324190371_20180222191449_1.jpg

And I slipped after having just the left wheel on the bridge...
0_1519324201056_20180222191527_1.jpg

0_1519324252524_20180222191620_1.jpg

These bridges are worse than ice !

EDIT : note that driving on the left of the bridge (the mud pit) seems very tricky as well, in particular with a big trailer...

last edited by minikeum

If we can't get the bridge to have more friction, can I try to modify the map throught the map / mod editor, knowing that I have only the DDS and SDG files ?

No you can't edit the map, that said you don't have to your missing something. With that xml edit. It's either in the wrong spot or you goofed in the editing of the file I've increased the friction on this bridge for my map for the same reason because it's like ice. And it works great, plenty of grip to not slide off it. When that file is copied paste it in the base mudrunner folder make the changes then copy paste it back into the media.zip just know this isn't impossible it's an error on your part. If need be I'll upload mine so you can use the file I edited.... at work currently tho..

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

@drgonzo1489 said in Modifying existing map:

Ah ok so what you wanna do is go into mudrunner base folder like this mudrunner>>media.zip>>classes>>models>> and copy the bridge_dirt.xml from there and past somewhere as a backup. Then edit the xml in notepad. In the <_templates> section change like this:

<_templates>
<Constraint>
<Bridge
PlaneAxisLocal="(1.0; 0; 0)"
TwistAxisLocal="(0; 1.0; 0)"
Type="Ragdoll"
>
<PlaneConeMotor Damping="100000" Spring="1000000" Type="Spring" />
</Bridge>
</Constraint>
<Body Friction="2.0">
<Bridge
AngularDamping="2.0"
IsStaticSoil="true"
Mass="3000"
NoSoftContacts="true"
NoSoftImpulse="true"
/>
</Body>
</_templates>

should there be a space between the "body" and "friction" in that line? just asking since the rest of the lines are ran together and not spaced.

Yea there's a space there. Good looking out tho 😉

@drgonzo1489 thank you for your tip. Adding friction did work, although not enough to not get the trailer falling in the ditch!

Maybe the creator didn't want us to use trailers!? 🙂