where do i put this?

when i choose to install a 3rd party map.. where do i put the extra .xml's at the bottom of the list? and the media.xml? i see this one a lot..!bolded text0_1519570053751_where do i put this.PNG Thank you Rufus

@rufus
Where did this map come from?? Typically the "prebuild" folder is only available to the original author (as this contains the raw assets for the map like XMLs, textures, etc.) Unless the map author included them by accident, they're not required to play on that map in game...

@rufus said in where do i put this?:

when i choose to install a 3rd party map.. where do i put the extra .xml's at the bottom of the list? and the media.xml? i see this one a lot..!bolded text0_1519570053751_where do i put this.PNG Thank you Rufus

Oh my god, what the hell is this? I mean this picture, WTF

@knight25
It appears to be an otter eating a fish...

last edited by Mexican_420

Maps have two level files. a .stg and .dds

They may also have

Classes, Meshes, Sounds, Textures and Models.

Prebuild is what you have when you have your own map files for the Editor.

the files contain the strings for the workshop which convert the individual truck and addon class .xmls in-game. If you manually install mods into the media folder in the root directory the extra xmls you are referring to will not translate the file names, which is normally why you end up with just a load of random numbers and letters for the names of the mods in the game. Sometimes these XMLs are created but are empty so can be deleted if need be.

You can manually add these to the game by creating a "strings/en/assets.xml" directory in the media folder. I copy the original one from the media.zip in the root dir to the media folder and then add the modded .xmls which you've got there to it. You can also edit the existing names of the trucks too, so instead of C-255, you can change this to Kraz-255 or whatever you want really. It can take a bit of time but if you use notepad++ you can change quite a bit of code in bulk.

last edited by Kingpinn

sorry that's the rest of my desktop pic. the sniper grabs more than i highlight.. TY kingpin.. that's kind of what i do without knowing how to say it.. i try to pick apart every map i can to acquire as many map models as i can.. i've found close to 500 so far (useable models), because i cannot figure out how to make my own map models, which would be great if i could did you all know that there is light_blue and light_swampy water colors?

last edited by rufus

did you all know that there is light_blue and light_swampy water colors?

There is if you make them, or snag them premade from someone's map package, and install them in the editor. As far as default in ST or STMR there's only blue, brown, dark, flood, and green. And STMR didn't even come with flood. Just blue, brown, dark, and green. There's at least one, that I know of, clear water mod floating(pardon the pun) around too.

@rufus No problem mate.

said in where do i put this?:

because i cannot figure out how to make my own map models, which would be great if i could

To make your own models you need to load/design the model in Blender (or 3d modelling software of your choice), alignl to the correct axis (Y vertical etc), export the model in .X format and then create the necessary xml and textures files. These then need to be added to the relevant folders in the editors directory to make them appear in the editor. If you have writing or words on the model's texture, this will need to be mirrored/reversed to appear correctly in the game. This is the procedure I used to use for Spintires, so I assume its the same process for Mudrunner, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you check https://stmods.ru/spintires_mudrunner/materials_for_game/, people have added models and assets that can be downloaded to be used in custom maps. I'm pretty sure the clear water mod is on that site too. I've seen a few maps with Azure colour water, so if you can find them you can prolly check their code and see how to achieve it.

I may have misunderstood your question so apologies if you aleady know all of the above.

THANK YOU GUYS!
i have 3ds 2018, and just get dizzy looking at it, apparently sketchup model's need to go thru this conversion process. i'm going to keep at it..
i believe that i have found all of the available map models to include the grouped offerings on the russian sites (great tip though!!).
my PC skills are weak to say the least. so this is a WIP. however every little bit of help i get keeps me motivated to keep pushing on. i think that i have over 400 hours on the Editor, and not one map has been finished 🤪 . but i keep learning more and more and every new attempt is better than the ones before. Rufus

i have 3ds 2018, and just get dizzy looking at it, apparently sketchup model's need to go thru this conversion process.

I know that feeling! I've spent many an hour making absolutely no progress in various 3D software, but one day it all just clicked into place and I found a work flow that was ideal for me. Strangely, even though I own 3DS Max, I actually find Blender easier to use for Spintires. Weird.

I've never done any sketch up conversions myself, but I did find a tutorial a while ago that I was going to follow if I chose to use a sketch up model. You may have seen before, so apologies for repeating the news. This dude uses a sketch up model and makes it into a spintires compatible model in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCt5s66AYw. It's quite an old video, but I'm sure the general process is similar if not the same today.

Good luck with all your work mate, I'm sure your first map will be a masterpiece.

KingPin, Thank You for the info and encouraging words !!!! RUFUS

Regarding the own map models, I am finishing a write up on Spintires.nl about making your own and getting them into the game, should be done some time tomorrow.

Is it a zoom related issue? I'm on spintires.nl now and it is normal. Try a different browser?

my chrome does that too.. not all the time, best guess is a 60/40 split.