Wheel damage and why?

Ok this is something that I really have had a hard time wrapping my head around. That being the damage your truck incurs from the wheels?! I'm sorry but I don't understand how this is even a thing. It doesn't make any sense when the damage is received, just moving at speed causes damage. Accelerating to fast..
..damage, any speed above the speed of smell + tiny pebble or bump in the trail aaaaaaaaaand BAM! Damage.......👎 😒

I as a modder would like to see this as an option....or removed. It's senseless damage that seems like a very lame attempt at increasing difficulty when a simple terrain change would suffice.... ie same maps since release 3yrs ago.... the community has shown it doesn't take long to produce some really nice varied terrain. Locking the game down from the modders is only hindering the possibilities of this great game.

How about bringing back 0 damage? Or a truck option to allow the vehicle to remain on and not stall this could be simply added as an xml call: why not just add some water type damage when flipped instead of killing the engine completely..... I'm saying this coming from making mods that do what I've been told time and time again "wont" "doesnt" work which has been proven to work quite well actually despite the nay say. Ie racing, rock bouncing, rally it can all be done if a few of these things were reverted back to the golden age of spintires....................

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

last edited by DrGoNzO1489

water type damage when flipped? i could see that as if engine oil getting into the cylinders maybe?

i think most of this could work if the achievements were turned off, so no one could "cheat" at completing achievements. this would also allow us to play maps when the balance points are exceeded as well. only thing to figure out after that would be how to handle completing a map without the so called "cheating" way having too much influence. so making a toggleable feature would be the way i feel also.

i use the word "cheat" very loosely, because just how much is too much to be considered as "legit"?

last edited by A Former User

@8up-local exactly I know some people might like it. I feel That it should be a difficulty option maybe...

@8up-local said in Wheel damage and why?:

water type damage when flipped? i could see that as if engine oil getting into the cylinders maybe?

This is exactly what I mean! And I don't believe it would be difficult to change it's already in-game.... just needs a minor rework. Maybe @Pavel could take a gander at this and see if there's something he could do?? I'm sure allot of trucks/ vehicles would/do stall out at a point but not every one! I think water type damage when the vehicle is at a steep angle or inverted would be the most realistic scenario.

All sounds good guys, but bear in mind terrain is the priority, trucks are just there to push it around...

@mexican_420 yup, that is exactly what it is for sure. lol

With (almost) any kind of pump in a vehicle, the fluid inlet sits at the bottom of the tank/reservoir. Which relies on gravity to keep the fluid where the inlet is. Otherwise the pump is going to suck/pump nothing but air. The only exception would be the water pump. Because there isn't any air in the system(so orientation is irrelevant).

In the case of the fuel pump, or even in cases where there isn't one but the fuel inlet is still at the bottom of the gas tank, the engine will unavoidably stall as soon as it consumes the residual fuel in the fuel lines. In the case of an EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) engine at least. In the case of a carbureted engine, the carburetor will most likely stop working even before the residual fuel in the lines from the gas tank is used up. Because the float in the bowl will close the fuel inlet valve, acting as though the bowl was full of fuel(even if it isn't).

In the case of the oil pump, it's not necessarily that oil is going to get past the oil control rings on the pistons and into the cylinders causing damage(which would be potentially catastrophic if it did), it's that the oil pump will have no way of pumping oil to other parts of the engine where it's critically needed to prevent damage. There are sumpless oil pump systems that address the issue to an extent. But even those won't work properly if gravity is fully reversed(as in with the system upside down). Again, because the inlet is still at the bottom of the reservoir/tank. And most vehicles don't have them anyway.

EDIT: I forgot about the PCV system. Which could, eventually, allow engine oil to be sucked straight into the air intake and directly into the cylinders. Which would, obviously, be a bad thing. But the engine would have to be running upside down for a good amount of time for that to happen(by which time it will probably have stopped running for other reasons). And not all engines have PCV systems(but most these days do).

There are other examples(ie power steering pump), but those are why engines can't/won't/shouldn't be run upside down or in any vehicle position that prohibits fluids from being accessible to the pumps.

last edited by MudHappy

@mudhappy super good info! Thanks! See I'm no mechanic And I'm not saying allow the engine to run upside down but don't stall the second you get past 90 degrees ya know?. Maybe just adding an xml call to give a bit of leeway for the case of fuel injected motors since they could essentially run upside down for at least a few seconds before anything to bad happening.... if you watch rock bouncing vids this happens regularly they roll and throttle out trying to recover until they land on there lid at a stop steam flying from the motor still running then everyone yells either, FIRE!, or shut er down! Lol. All I'm saying is giving the ability to represent more than carbourated engines and large diesels. @MudHappy thanks again for chiming in brother. You have more insite on this than I do. I appreciate you sharing what you know. Really all that needs tweaked to make a good motor sports mod from this game is wheel damage tweaked and the above issue addressed so you have at least a few seconds of runtime on your lid or whatnot before three engine dies on you. Cheers guys!

@mudhappy how about running on gas. When you run on gas you can run upside down fuel wise, still the problems with oil but you can keep the engine running as far as I know. So maybe a tag that you can let the engine run on "gas" and a new kind of fuel station that could be added in a map.

@wrangmog hey! Cool! Lol love the
community! @Pavel think we can get some gas engine tags that have this effect on mod trucks? Plz!? 🙏 😇

Thanks for chiming in wrang!

@wrangmog
By "gas" I assume you mean propane?

@mexican_420 said in Wheel damage and why?:

@wrangmog
By "gas" I assume you mean propane?

Yea or nitrous 😈

@mexican_420 I don't know if thats what I meant, over here its called 'LPG', didn't know how I had to call it in english so I called it gas, could be just propane, but I'm not sure about that..

@wrangmog Good point about the gas(LPG or LNG or, theoretically, diatomic hydrogen, or what have you). I forget about that since it's not very common.

On the oil issue, deleting the PCV system(as is commonly done with "breathers") would solve the problem of ingress directly into the air intake. But it would cause other problems in the process. The breathers would allow water into the crankcase if submerged, and provided a route for the oil to pour straight out of the engine(if tilted at an extreme angle or upside down). You can't completely seal the crankcase to prevent that either. Pressure from blow-by gasses will build up and oil will get forced past the main seals(MAJOR external leakage). Not to mention the other reasons why you shouldn't delete the PCV system, which I won't go into detail on(as they aren't relevant to the topic). Anyway, you can starve an engine of oil a little bit without killing it. Just not for an extended amount of time.

So yeah, if certain conditions are met(or not exceeded) you can run an engine upside down.

last edited by MudHappy

@wrangmog said in Wheel damage and why?:

@mexican_420 I don't know if thats what I meant, over here its called 'LPG', didn't know how I had to call it in english so I called it gas, could be just propane, but I'm not sure about that..

Yes, LPG = Liquid Propane Gas 🙂

@mexican_420 Just searched for it and it means 'Liquefied Petroleum Gas'. Don't know if it has the same characteristics as propane, but that is what it means.

@wrangmog
Heh, sometimes I just like to use big words to make myself sound more chlorophyll...
+1 if you know the meme 😉