Will probably never happen but hey.

I think it would be really cool if they added an open world feature where all the maps were connected via hard roads. These roads would be fairly long and basic just like in Euro truck simulator. This would actually give a need for civilian trucks and more efficient trucks. Any thoughts beyond it will never happen blah blah?

@slavmaster
Won't happen because of the way the game engine works, but that's the long&short of it...

@slavmaster not sure if the game can even do it, but the more likely thing would be to have the maps "loop" if you will. exit map border on one side of a map and you enter back in on the opposite corresponding edge. will have to agree with Mexi though and say it will not happen. now maybe the next version of the game with a new game engine behind it. still would create a problem though. if multiple maps are used and linked, how bad will the borders be since there is no way to transition between maps? example, you drive towards the map edge and the next map edge is meters higher or lower than the first or a big body of water since one map might be an island type map. these are just a few of the many things that need to be considered, not even going to get into the different objects, sizes or XML coding differences that may occur.

Just gonna leave this here... Procedural generation. 🔧

You can/could have connected two maps together, I saw that with my own eyes on the original spintires. It was Coast and soemthing else. They were side by side.

@digital-x
Yeah, there were such maps. Not many of them, but some. Some MODed exe file was needed and I think even current "Mudrunner+" "support" some kind of map-size extension...

Ah I see. Was a good idea though.

Would it be possible to load a map when you come to the border (Half-Life style)? That way the maps don't need to be huge but would still require some modifications to the maps so the borders would connect nicely.

@8up-local @Digital-X @Sodoma You guys probably wouldn't believe it, but you could easily match map borders from map to map. All you would have to do is copy/paste from one map's image file to the other. It's not an insane feat. We just never have done it as map makers because we want all of our maps to feel entirely different. And we get tired of making the same things.

@roughrider
Not sure if I understand you correctly.
Yes, while map making, you can use some copy/paste feature of editor and match two (or even more) small maps together.
But your final map is restricted to 1024x1024 "meters", and that is restriction of stock game...

@8up-local said in Will probably never happen but hey.:

@slavmaster not sure if the game can even do it, but the more likely thing would be to have the maps "loop" if you will. exit map border on one side of a map and you enter back in on the opposite corresponding edge. will have to agree with Mexi though and say it will not happen. now maybe the next version of the game with a new game engine behind it. still would create a problem though. if multiple maps are used and linked, how bad will the borders be since there is no way to transition between maps? example, you drive towards the map edge and the next map edge is meters higher or lower than the first or a big body of water since one map might be an island type map. these are just a few of the many things that need to be considered, not even going to get into the different objects, sizes or XML coding differences that may occur.

great one. i remember one game that used similar strategy called Insane 2, used to play that game when i was young, instead of cutting map off and making edge it was connected and lets say u were at the end of the north side u would go through it and now u was on the south but transition was seamless, unnoticeable would be great if mudrunner had it

@zamal funny you mention Insane 2, because i am referring to the original 1nsane in my comment. lol. just my personal opinion, but Insane 2 was nothing like the original, but i say this with very little play time on Insane2. i just did not like it bottom line.

@RoughRider i can believe it, just did not think the game could support it really.

@Sodoma well the idea about more than one map and matching the edges is just that, an idea. which the limitation of the game/coding/engine (whichever the case may be) is where the restriction is imo.

last edited by A Former User

@8up-local
In the case of theories, then yes, I can imagine connecting more map together. But with loading inbetween them.
With system of checkpoints as it was for example in Stalker, I can imagine it could Works with current game/map restrictions.
You simply create set of 1024x1024 (for example) maps and create "connection posts" on borders, those "teleport" player to "suppose to be neighbour" map. That sounds feasable.
Question is, if such thing will improve gameplay... 😕

@mexican_420 said in Will probably never happen but hey.:

Just gonna leave this here... Procedural generation.

In computing, procedural generation is a method of creating data algorithmically as opposed to manually. In computer graphics, it is also called random generation and is commonly used to create textures and 3D models. In video games, it is used to automatically create large amounts of content in a game.
_I had to look that one up, still learning something new everyday!
_Oh, Great idea, for the map connecting idea. __Rufus

@8up-local said in Will probably never happen but hey.:

@zamal funny you mention Insane 2, because i am referring to the original 1nsane in my comment. lol. just my personal opinion, but Insane 2 was nothing like the original, but i say this with very little play time on Insane2. i just did not like it bottom line.

yeah i dont know iv never played insane 1

@zamal said in Will probably never happen but hey.:

yeah i dont know iv never played insane 1

It was a thing of beauty! 😍

@mexican_420 said in Will probably never happen but hey.:

Just gonna leave this here... Procedural generation. 🔧

While it's great i would be curious to see how the physics would be handled in such coondition to generate proper zone and not create a gigantic mess and having some deeps in performance.
@Sodoma
Yes some actual map use Mudrunner+ like that one Средняя полоса 2 for example otherwise you crash or eveything start to work in a funky way.
About having bigger map would be nice if you want to recreate stretch gravel/compacted dirt road to cruise and enjoy the landscape that's what i like most about big map.

last edited by Raphael