Fix 'Insta-Destruct' (XBox One)

I'm not sure if this is an issue seen on other platforms so I mark as XBox One but there was an interesting post some weeks back where the devs described the 'physics bubble' and how it comes into effect as you get nearer to objects in the world and I wonder if this issue may be related.

I'm sure you've all been there and it's hellish frustrating. One minute you're driving along happily with you load of logs feeling kinda good about the day and then you might switch trucks to do something else and then you try and come back andhere this crunch and all ouyt of the blue "600 points damage. Your truck is wrecked, have a nice day, come again!"

"Sorry? Er what just happened?"

Never mind take a long slow breath find another truck get back to the garage change for utility attachment, schlepp across the map to your truck, "Morning lads anyone order a repair service? Woohoo! Fix the truck. Switch back to the first one to reconnect your convoy.

CRUNCH

"600 points damage. Your truck is wrecked, have a nice day, come again!"

What? Did I pick the clown car? This doesn't happen in real life 😉

I guess somehow, the model settles in some position such that when the physics is reinitialised, one pixel is the wrong side of another pixel and kaboom.

Would love for this to be addressed.

Even some kind of "when physics bubble reinitialised results in infinity damage, ignore until stabilised" logic would be ok.

Thanks for reviewing

Wow! I've yet to experience such devastation in single or multiplayer (I too am an XBOX One user). Is it truck specific or random?

I managed to complete Deluge on one star hardcore the other night (yes, I saved the game several times). I was switching trucks all over the place, but thankfully never encountered this phenomenon.
Thanks for the info.

All maps and various trucks. It’s happened to me a lot on island but also I recall on seashore, deluge and valley. At first I thought it was truck specific, always on lighter truck when hauling logs but again, never when driving, always when switching away from the truck, which is why I suspect it being related to this physics bubble that was mentioned in another post. Yes. Hugely frustrating. Congrats on completing deluge. That took me a while to figure out. The frustration of fighting your way through again and again and tipping or washing away after an hour was painful. The route will be etched into my memories to my dying day lol

This damage isn't tied to location or map or even any specific mod.
This is those friggin' U-holders on truck's bed. They are waaaaay too brittle. I've been FUBAR my trucks due to one of them just scratch a tree.

Look closely: U-holder on truck's bed isn't aligned properly - it clips throgh logs. Any wrong move of cargo and it will break your truck. Same may happen even on pure game, if one manage to load same way on some stock stuff.

@deadwanderer Well spotted. i’ll have to check if that’s the case next time. I suppose a ‘drop load’ and repack might at least stop it repeating but I doubt i’ll ever be able to catch it going fubar before it happens, it’s visually too subtle and you tend to be busy watching other things. Still, seems to happen to me when I leave a truck and return to it which makes me think there is an aspect related to reinitialising the physics and I assume this is not a built in feature but a defect that could be resolved. Not happened to me yet whilst driving, although I guess it looks from here like it can.

last edited by zoglet

Hi all!

This has been passed along to the dev team, now. We're going to look into the causes for you, thank you to @DeadWanderer for his clever spot there.

@zoglet said in Fix 'Insta-Destruct' (XBox One):

Well spotted. i’ll have to check if that’s the case next time. I suppose a ‘drop load’ and repack might at least stop it repeating but I doubt i’ll ever be able to catch it going fubar before it happens, it’s visually too subtle and you tend to be busy watching other things.

If it packed properly on the first time - it will stay that way and bars are clearly visible when packed properly (see bars on cart).
If you've got clipping - repack ASAP.