Modding Discord?

Pardon my ignorance if I am missing something or haven't 'searched' well enough, however I cannot seem to find a community discord for the modding side of the community?

I have found the 'official' discord for Spintires/Mudrunner, but this is all for the playing side of things, and not the modding side.

Personally, I am relatively new to modding although I have undertaken a few projects on other games. I would like to be able to speak to others, and more importantly share knowledge over certain aspects.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, however, If there is no such discord would it be of interest to others if we were to make one?

there is no "official" discord for modding the game. although i am sure there are some mod groups using discord.

Like 8up said, there isn't an official one, but there are a few topics on this forum that you may find useful:

If you are wanting to learn more about making trucks for the game with blender check this one:
https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/5906/blender-and-stmr

It also has information on texturing and theres a link to the original Oovee forum for a lot of other very useful tips and tricks on how to mod this game.

The next topic is about converting mods from Spintires, not something you actually need to do but you can learn a lot about modifying the games XML files in there too.

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/5875/guide-converting-st-vehicles-mods-to-mr-with-vid

Thanks for all the replies 🙂 !

I guess ill stick to the forum then 👍

yeah probably your best bet. for some reason modders for this game are super diva-esque and out there to take each other down instead of working together

@hydrowasul said in Modding Discord?:

yeah probably your best bet. for some reason modders for this game are super diva-esque and out there to take each other down instead of working together

REALLY DUDE?

@hydrowasul said in Modding Discord?:

Explain Please.

Iam not a modder... but that is true... if all the cool people here comes together and work together... we could have the best game ever... without devs...

but I understand it if someone says he release anything more... couse there are enough people
which are so stupid and steal thing and use it as they own...

hydrowasul,
this is Smar's thread, and a Fantastic Modder no less. I feel that throwing out a pretty disrespectful comment, In which you include ALL modders, is kinda uncalled for. If your intent is to put people down, maybe start your own thread. just My thoughts__RUFUS

It's not my thread Rufus its Pearce95 thread but thanks,

@ewgenij84 listen ok so I don't release my mods anymore but that's my choice there's no rule anywhere that says I have to release what I put into my workshop I have my reasons for not releasing if someone doesn't agree with my reasons o well if you want to hate on me because of it then that's your problem grow up!.....I've switched to map making and I do release what I make for maps and I'm not a top tier map maker and don't pretend to be but if some people happen to enjoy them then awesome im contributing to the game and community in that way.

@hydrowasul what I don't understand about the all modders being a diva comment and that we should all come together to make the game better, Like What do you mean? @Spun @Nix_909 are still making mods and still releasing, Wrenchinmonkey has released mods and is still making maps, @Forces will help anyone with making mod questions he's one of the more helpful guys in the community , And I will help anyone who has questions about anything, but we are all mod and map makers none of us can make the game better because none of us can make it 64bit, none of us can stop people from stealing mods which is the 2 biggest problems with this game.

Back on topic, @Pearce95 if you message @Forces about anything related to modding he will help you, and he also has some tutorial videos on his youtube.

last edited by SmarOneNine

@smaronenine oh crap, i jumped out of your thread, and didn't realize.. Pearce95 my bad for mis-labeling your thread. i start bouncing around and have no idea where i am. Also as a newer player, i didn't know what a Dischord even was. and after reading up on it. it seems like a ?forum?, or a ?chat room? page. but i'm missing something, hence my newness to the digital world. __RUFUS

what i mean is creating a community with each other. for example, creating a modding discord while we're on topic? where people actually work together, and not in their small closed groups for each other. like "i have this and that (tires, trailer, small modeled parts etc.) if someone needs it, here's the model file" or "i'm working on this and that, does anyone have an idea or a thing i can use"

for example i gave brute/spun a ratchet (for securing belts) model a while ago while he was streaming on twitch and i was very glad to see it actually being used in one of the next mod releases. i have no idea why most people are so eager to prevent other people using their modeled stuff. i know it takes time and creativity and whatnot to create them, but i feel like the world would be a better place if people would help each other out more with those kind of things 😄

the other thing is the "mod-stealing" stuff, i'm on Tattoo's side who said something like "who cares if it gets stolen, the only thing that happens is more people get to use it" which is my kind of view too. but there are people who removed their whole workshop or made it friends only due to their mods being downloaded and uploaded to "various" sites, or the whole thing with Draconus who is one of the worst offenders in this kind of thing. if you're not one of the "special friends", you don't get access to it, and that's that.
just... why? who cares?

in that regard; what i also don't get is people paying for mods, like some do i.e. in ETS2. if people want to donate to the modder to honor his work, then feel free, but something being hidden behind a paywall is incredibly stupid. most recent example is the Star Citizen Citizencon stream. there was a huge shitstorm because the stream would require a ticket to watch, because apparently it would be very well produced (multiple camera angles and stages etc.), after facing the community backlash, they decided to make the stream free and guess what, people started donating because they still want the great experience of it.
paying for something because you WANT to is way different to paying for something because you HAVE to. but i'm getting off topic...

anyway, people going at each other's throats for "stolen models" or stuff like taking down their workshop for everyone (out of spite towards a few people) is not my kind of thing.
i mean if you created it, feel free to decide for yourself what you do with it, but in MY opinion: if you feel the need for "exclusivity" for your mods, then 1. your face is ugly 😄 and 2. do whatever floats your boat, but it's not for me

I hardly doubt a modding discord would work, You're not gonna get whats left of the community to open up their hard drives and share everything with everyone, If you wanted to try just start a thread here with links to models and see what happens, its the same thing isn't it?

As far as helping people out and you're shared rachet story I'm happy it made you feel warm and fuzzy good for you, But accusing modders of not sharing there work (models) with anyone idk about that , I have an editor full of models that I have gotten permission to use, or that has been made specifically for me, and have been shared with me, Nearly every modder I've ever asked has given me permission to use their stuff, And I give proper credit in descriptions whenever I use anything which is probably the reason I keep getting permission to use their stuff because there is a small word called respect.

And here we go with Mod Stealing again, I'll start by saying I don't agree with what you said with the whole more people will get to use it lol...If they wanna 'use it' its pretty easy to just go to the creator's workshop and download it isn't it? I mean its just as easy to take a piss...Now I know if Spun or another modder releases a mod that not everyone will like the friction or color or tires or whatever it might be and you might wanna edit or change it up well that's fine I'm pretty sure none of the modders care about that but why the hell would you re-upload it somewhere? Smh just keep it for yourself.

I agree with one thing and that's the pay requirement for mods but that's kinda easy to avoid if the modder wants to charge you for a mod? idk maybe just say No?

And let me also add that making it onto my friend's list doesn't grant anyone access to my workshop because they are private I don't even share them with friends and it has been that way for a very long time now, it makes it easier to weed out what people really want when all the friend requests are rolling in....So sorry it's not because I have an ugly face its because when I put a mod in my workshop I don't 'owe' anyone access to it.

@smaronenine said in Modding Discord?:

I hardly doubt a modding discord would work, You're not gonna get whats left of the community to open up their hard drives and share everything with everyone, If you wanted to try just start a thread here with links to models and see what happens, its the same thing isn't it?

i doubt that too, i just thought it would be more convenient to have one (better to use than forum etc.), but it probably wouldn't get used anyway

As far as helping people out and you're shared rachet story I'm happy it made you feel warm and fuzzy good for you, But accusing modders of not sharing there work (models) with anyone idk about that , I have an editor full of models that I have gotten permission to use, or that has been made specifically for me, and have been shared with me, Nearly every modder I've ever asked has given me permission to use their stuff, And I give proper credit in descriptions whenever I use anything which is probably the reason I keep getting permission to use their stuff because there is a small word called respect.

good for you, i guess you talked to the right people 😄
and giving credit is mandatory, that is absolutely right. i do that too, claiming i made something myself when i didn't would be incredibly stupid and narcissistic

And here we go with Mod Stealing again, I'll start by saying I don't agree with what you said with the whole more people will get to use it lol...If they wanna 'use it' its pretty easy to just go to the creator's workshop and download it isn't it? I mean its just as easy to take a piss...Now I know if Spun or another modder releases a mod that not everyone will like the friction or color or tires or whatever it might be and you might wanna edit or change it up well that's fine I'm pretty sure none of the modders care about that but why the hell would you re-upload it somewhere? Smh just keep it for yourself.

sure it is, i'm not saying that it's a good thing that it gets reuploaded, i'm just saying it gets more exposure.
the bigger problem IMO is that certain sites (you know which ones) don't give aforementioned credit

I agree with one thing and that's the pay requirement for mods but that's kinda easy to avoid if the modder wants to charge you for a mod? idk maybe just say No?

yea, but what if want to use that mod and NOT pay for it? use one of those sites that reupload mods without permission i guess 😄

And let me also add that making it onto my friend's list doesn't grant anyone access to my workshop because they are private I don't even share them with friends and it has been that way for a very long time now, it makes it easier to weed out what people really want when all the friend requests are rolling in....So sorry it's not because I have an ugly face its because when I put a mod in my workshop I don't 'owe' anyone access to it.

of course you don't, but why keep it to yourself when so many more people could have fun with it? that's the "exclusivity" i was talking about.
speaking of your workshop, are you going to reupload the flex map some time? i really liked it for suspension testing

The only reason I took the Flex Map down is because I don't have the files for it anymore so I won't be able to add to it or finish it But I have plan's to build a new Flex Style Map eventually.

@smaronenine.. Hi Smar, is this what you're looking for?
0_1536174142452_smar's map.JPG

__Rufus
bolded text

@rufus Nah man its more complicated than that I could do that as well, but I've done a lot more to the map actually since that version you have there or whats in my workshop, but the mess up is on my end.

I'll try and explain, I put in like 10-15 hours work on the version of the flex yard in my workshop now and I actually had basically the entire map laid out and nearly ready to re-release with a lot more to do then what's on it now but I never updated the workshop version after I worked on it but I thought I did so with every map I release I deleted the mod folder so i could re-upload the more finished version so that it would appear first in the workshop under 'most recent' but after I deleted it I only had the old folder because i deleted the wrong shit so all the work I did on it was gone in an instant I totally messed up but in my defense I was a couple 6 packs in that night so I'm sure that had something to do with it too...lol

I still have the files of the version in my workshop that's shared with friends I just at the moment have no interest in working on that map again....which reminds me if you @hydrowasul wanna run that map just send me a FR on steam.