The Mud of MudRunner

@8up-local
I played on latest patch and there were lots of ways to stuck vehicle for good. I honestly don't know how it was on earlier updates but in latest one if you try and go through swampy area in the same tracks back and forth then you will stuck even with biggest trucks especially if you go to slow or stop. Also if you are not cautious you may drive into deeper spot on normal mudy roads and your truck can flip because of that.

But apart from that, I can agree that playing map again and again you can have no challenge anymore. I have idea but not sure if it is possible to add. It would be awesome if map would get random events like weather change. In rain more roads would get mud that earlier was dry and easy to pass. Hmm maybe that way it would even force player as me to wait it out 🙂 As for now in SPintires I did not use wait option at all! 🙂
Another randomness would be in many spots on map making it one time easy to pass and other time it would spawn nasty mud pit. Just an idea to diverse playthrough experience in map replayability.

@pavel said in The Mud of MudRunner:

They do have less grip. But only graphics were talked about in this post, not the physics.

Oh great, I am so relieved. My excitement is back. 🙂

There is a track length limit.

Also great! If it would be time based it would be disappointing.

Thanx for clearing this for me.

Very interesting to see how the mud works in Spintires. And to think that this is "just" all some advanced code - mindblown! Thanks for sharing this with us Pavel. Looking forward to seeing more. Keep up the good work! 🙂

Павел всё это классно, скриншоты эти все пояснения-обьяснения, хотя почти ничего и не понятно, но ты пожалуйста скажи как обстоят дела с силой свободного падения? Она появилась в игре или это ещё удел фантастики? Я видел как падал УАЗик на одном из видео-роликов, вроде рнеалистичней чем в Спинтиресе, но хотелось бы от тебя услышать коментарий. Если ли сила ускорения свободного пажения в физике игры (вот это я загнул, сам удивляюсь, вспомнил уроки физики из школы ;-))

I remember the mud chunks on the tires from the first game, and I did see them come back, I do like them, but I think they should be a tad smaller than what they are in the screen shots. Anyway, this was a interesting read Pavel, and thanks for taking the time to do a right up on how that all works.

Awesome write up Pavel 😉

Pavel lose the mud chunks on the tires it looks unrealistic. alt text
Look how caked this tire is with mud. I dont see balls.

..... is it really mud? 😃 It looks like...
ANYWAY

Here I found some offroad competition where quite lots of mud chunks got on tires but still no rock like chunks 🙂
Youtube Video – [09:14..]

And here is quite lots of mud on tires but it is more unified and build up
Youtube Video

last edited by CoSm1c gAm3r

@bogelma I saw that 🙂 It have nothing in common with mud on tires instead it is just huge fail 😃

HERE I found some sticky mud. Still no huge weird chunks 😉

http://www.4-wheeling-in-western-australia.com/images/julimar-35-of-mud.jpg

last edited by CoSm1c gAm3r

Thx for this interesting post. 🙂

Yo, you know this is mud bro? Look at this sick pic bro, look i cant even see that is a wheel bro...

Youtube Video

• Boo hoo, cry more kids.
last edited by Lorindes

@nix_909 said in The Mud of MudRunner:

Pavel lose the mud chunks on the tires it looks unrealistic. alt text
Look how caked this tire is with mud. I dont see balls.

Effect like this can be achieved too, maybe we will do it someday.
I know "Mud Particles" look edgy and unrealistic, but they interact with the vehicles! For me it's always better to have low-res interactive effect compared to high-res static effect.

@pavel said in The Mud of MudRunner:

I know "Mud Particles" look edgy and unrealistic, but they interact with the vehicles! For me it's always better to have low-res interactive effect compared to high-res static effect.

Each to their own. By that logic though, you could as well use some cube primitives with 64x64 textures. Not far away anyway. It sound like you would be the perfect mobile phone developer. For PS4&Co. people are used to some graphics standards that they know from other titles on those platforms.

last edited by KcutsTog

@kcutstog

For the record, these mud chunks haven't been in our current game for a very long while, and while they were there, they weren't bothersome, they actually distracted from some texture flaws.

Same way everyone complains about the fog, it's there for a reason, it gives the game some buffer to look nice.

last edited by RoughRider

it is true, in reality, mud chunks are more velvety, not easy to translate into game world where chunks are physical entities. perhaps pavel can entertain the idea of having smaller chunks that are smoother?

also, these chunks often have blurry or almost flat textures, able to procedural generate details with normal and specular layer?

Great work more games should have dynamic ground!

So.. if i understand this correctly.. if i drive a truck in for example "the bog" ,where you can make deep tire tracks going over the plains, if i then come back 5 minutes later the deep tracks i made would be gone?
If thats the case im kind of disappointed, the original didnt have that did it?

@christian_h11

They don't just go away. It takes a lot of driving to make them just disappear. I've never played enough to see that happen. That's all in Spintires though.

@roughrider ok, i just watched a vid on YT where a guy drove excactly the same route over a plain in "the bog", making huge marks on the ground the first time, then when he drove back the deep tracks were gone.. maybe just a bug or something to do with the early version? Idk