Customizable RPG with companions and romance

Why are there so few games that attempt this? You have BioWare and the CDPR, both of which are hugely successful. Why is it so hard to find other story-rich games that offer interesting characters, and choices which effect the way the story plays out?

I have high hopes for GreedFall. I've never played a Spider game before, and there seems to be a few negative things around the net about some of their previous games. But I'm willing to give them a try and see if they deliver what they promise.

One good game is all it takes to make a fan for life.

It depends on what specifically you look for in "customizable" department. Technomancer imo is very strong in artwork & character department. The setting strongly resonated with me personally, but I am not sure if it would with others. The game also requires the players to engage their own imagination to handle a multitude of fairly simple "meet the characters in this world" quests in the same areas, rather than providing a pre-chewed multitude of areas or animated mini-movie like quests. I do like the fighting model, but it will probably be shot down by those who love complicated builds and a huge variety of classes. In terms of companion cast, Technomancer imo is very good, but makes a mistake of keeping you with fairly basic temps for a long time, before you actually are playing with the real cast. And, well, one of those temps is made unavailable for no good reason, and imo it's a pity. Playing only as a male and a male with a specific name reduces the RP value of Technomancer, but the voice is good, and luckily you can give the guy the face you can love. Romance-wise, all three options are not off-putting and different, at least, though it is not guaranteed you'd find just the soulmate. An out of party romance with a certain Merchant Prince or a via correspondence with Sean Mancer would have been my pick if I could make the game mine, but I was also able to imagine romancing two out of three companions on offer.