Slide has to go

It is a terrible feature.

It has to go.

For full credit, please explain:

It is not realistic, especially not with speed boost.

It is hurting interesting gameplay, not improving it. One could think that an extra feature would add to the tactical arsenal, but instead it just removes the skill of entering buildings.

I find it usefull when you are getting shot at and you are running for cover.

Yea that is the problem. It is too useful.

@snuffeldjuret Do you think that maybe it's the hit detection that makes it frustrating? It's carried over from the last game, so I don't see what the problem is now IMO

No it was horrible in old ins also. It is the technicalities of the feature that is the problem. Game theory wise, it sucks.

On top of the previously mentioned issues. There is a problem of accidental slides also, when you want to go from sprint to crouch too early and you'll get a deadly slide instead.

last edited by Snuffeldjuret

What's unrealistic about sliding?

How do you even slide in the first place?

(you slide by pressing crouch while sprinting)

Without protection, it will hurt your knees unless the ground is optimal.

It will slow you down, not speed you up.

I would love to see videos on people sliding on concrete and stuff, with the same speed as they do in-game. As the positive claim is that sliding is realistic, the burden of proof is on those who think it is realistic.

@snuffeldjuret You might think it sucks in the realm of game theory, but for the realism they are trying to convey it's necessary. If you're sprinting with 60+ lbs of combat gear on are you going to stop on a dime? Hell no. Playing Ins 2 servers that took it out, the transition from sprinting to crouch was really awkward. In a game where you only take a few rounds to go down (versus Battlefield or CoD), every defensive maneuver (like sliding) counts.

Hell, if you wanna talk about broken transitions, let's discuss standing-to-prone. It's horrible in co-op, because the bots just snipe you while becoming intangible as they transition.

If it is necessary for realism, make the feature realistic.

I am not saying that you should stop on a dime, I am saying that you should not speed up. Maybe you don't speed up anymore though, last time I checked in old ins it did. I honestly don't think you'll be as fast and get as far by sliding IRL. Please prove me wrong if you can.

If the transition is awkward, solve it by making the transition un-awkward, don't introduce a bad feature. I mean, literally every bleeping singel game out there has proper transition from sprint to slide. I believe the devs are skilled enough to make it happen. I believe in them, and have for many, many, many years.

No I want to talk about the sliding feature. It has pissed me off for many years now. It is honestly my only complaint with the game.

Honestly I'm surprised the case needs to be argued that people can slide. Haven't you spent time around the jungle gym as a kid?

Yeah there's a risk of injury but no less than taking your time about moving while under a hail of bullets. If I were getting shot at I'd try it, and a lot of other things quite frankly.

I disagree. I think it takes skill to aim when sliding. It really doesn't effect gameplay that much, and I don't feel it's overpowered at all.

@doghead said in Slide has to go:

Honestly I'm surprised the case needs to be argued that people can slide. Haven't you spent time around the jungle gym as a kid?

Yeah there's a risk of injury but no less than taking your time about moving while under a hail of bullets. If I were getting shot at I'd try it, and a lot of other things quite frankly.

I am not arguing against that it is possible to slide IRL. I am saying that they way it is implemented it is way too unrealistic.
Make a video where you slide on concrete with jogging pants and then come back.

@noscopes-allowed said in Slide has to go:

I disagree. I think it takes skill to aim when sliding. It really doesn't effect gameplay that much, and I don't feel it's overpowered at all.

I never said it doesn't take skill to aim while sliding. I am saying it takes less skill to do so than to handle the situation without sliding. If you don't think it effect gameplay that much, then you don't mind if it is removed?

Absolutely agree. Slide is a completely unrealistic feature impossible to perform at any natural surface (excluding ice). I would prefer to see something like dive from BF4 rather than slide.

Quoting since you're editing your posts continuously.

@snuffeldjuret said in Slide has to go:

It is a terrible feature.

It has to go.

Yea that is the problem. It is too useful.

It is the technicalities of the feature that is the problem. Game theory wise, it sucks.

On top of the previously mentioned issues. There is a problem of accidental slides also, when you want to go from sprint to crouch too early and you'll get a deadly slide instead.

I am not saying that you should stop on a dime, I am saying that you should not speed up.

I am not arguing against that it is possible to slide IRL. I am saying that they way it is implemented it is way too unrealistic.

Which is the problem here: that sliding is unrealistic, too useful, too fast, unskilled, that you do it on accident, that it's "bad game theory"? Do you want it removed or slowed down? It seems like you don't know what you want and you're figuring that out by arguing with people.

Sliding is a great feature.

@slazenger nope. Just try to do it in real life. Try to slide on asphalt, dirt, sand, pebble etc.

Spoiler: It will not work.