I don't feel immersed like I used to (Here's why)

Hey there NWI,

I remember when I first started playing Insurgency 2. I joined my first match on Siege, I was hiding out in a building with my team (security forces). Shots were ringing out from all directions, bullets were chomping through concrete and pinging off the walls, and suddenly the insurgent forces started moving in. I was legitimately scared to death (felt like I was actually there). Suddenly my allies start getting mowed down one by one, puffs of blood shooting into the air, and I managed to take a few of the bad guys down with me with me before getting completely obliterated.

The reason I enjoyed my experience so much was that despite the dated graphics of Insurgency 2 I felt so immersed in that game. I feel that this immersion was created with a combination of the immersive sound design and with the old TTK. It felt like I really had to play carefully in order to survive. This gameplay aspect combined with your guys' awesome sound design made for one of the best FPS experiences I've had to date.

I feel that with the new and much higher TTK the rest of the immersive aspects in your game become background noise. When I feel like I can just run across the street knowing my heavy armor will likely absorb all the bullets for me I just don't get the same feeling I used to anymore. It feels like there's just not as much at stake. So now when I'm getting pinned down in a building with my team it feels like just any other game, and the bullets hitting the wall next to me don't feel as dangerous. But Insurgency to me before wasn't just like any other game and that's why I fell in love with it. Insurgency 2 gave me the confidence that I wanted to support you guys till the end, and I really don't want to see you guys move in a direction that you feel you have to move in to please a wider audience.

I think that most of us have grown tired of the old shooter franchises like COD and Battlefield, so we've all gone in search of something new. This fresh and new shooter came from you guys! I don't think many of us want what the mainstream market has to offer and that's why we love your game. If people don't like the lower TTK then they don't know what Insurgency is all about just yet. If you just keep doing what worked for Insurgency 2 the rest of your fanbase and the newcomers will follow. Tactical and immersive shooters are what your real fans want. Some people need time to get used to the type of gameplay I'm referring to, but once they do they will absolutely crave it (my friend is a good example). To summarize, we don't need our hands held to get across the street in the brutal world of Insurgency, we'd rather have them shot off.

Thanks guys for making such an incredible game. I hope I haven't assumed too much about your direction, but this is really how I feel. You guys have great ideas. Stick to them, and don't let a minority of the fanbase try to influence the direction you take this game. I recognize I could be totally in the wrong, and in that case don't listen to me either! I hope you understand what I mean, and take into consideration what I've had to say about the immersion, because I think that is what made you guys great in the past, and if you hold onto it in the future your game will be the best on the market, and better than any of the AAA trash that people find so easy to consume. You guys are just as good if not totally better than the big dogs. I think the hardcore gameplay aspects of old Insurgency mixed with the new ideas you guys have and the better graphics will have the big dogs shaking in their boots.

❤

last edited by seanohaha

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. In the original Insurgency one aspect that I loved was being able to choose any weapon that felt good to use, and even with no attachments I could play and successfully clutch a game by playing smart. If a large group of enemies rushed me while I was watching a door, even a makarov could mow them down if they were not careful. Now even with an m16 if more than three hostile rush a door you're watching, they will MUCH more easily be able to take you down just from the ttk. I feel we lose out on the tactics aspect and are being pushed towards the more mainstream direction most fps's are taking, which isn't really what I got this game for. That being said, I do love the art, customization and sound design in this game, and I hope all the optimization is finished before release! Good work!!!

@seanohaha said in I don't feel immersed like I used to (Here's why):

When I feel like I can just run across the street knowing my heavy armor will likely absorb all the bullets for me I just don't get the same feeling I used to anymore.

Same feeling here. Last night I was playing canyon and just sprinted from building to building while being shot at. 1 bullet even hit me but I didn't die and just continued sprinting without a care in the world. This is not the intense gameplay the Insurgency2014 had.

NWI, make the gameplay like DoI and Insurgency with it's HIGH LETHALITY 1 SHOT 1 KILL. If need be, remove armor altogether or add armor piercing rounds that can be used to counter armor.

If people don't like the lower TTK then they don't know what Insurgency is all about just yet. If you just keep doing what worked for Insurgency 2 the rest of your fanbase and the newcomers will follow.

This is the most ture statement in your post
+1

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I hope NWI gets the chance to see this.

One other point I would like to make is that I feel the main difference is primarily due to both the lack of AP ammo, and the seeming requirement to equip heavy armor in your load out. If there was some way to make heavy armor less appealing this problem would sort itself out. There were many times in the original game that I would chose more utility based items like smokes and flashes over heavy armor and settle for light... something I would never do in the current game.

I hope the devs see this. WE DONT WANT ANOTHER COD CLONE!!!

@fishzone94 I hardly ever used armor in insurgency because with the very low TTK and AP ammo it didn't really help all that much. in sandstorm it's kind of a must have so it seems heavy armor has replaced AP ammo as the must buy item.
if you ask me they should just reintroduce AP ammo and give it some downsides (like it does less damage against unarmored targets. as someone already mentioned they should also make heavy armor less appealing (or less of a must pick) maybe decrease the movement speed in heavy armor even further?!