What's The Point of Long Barrel?

It "increases velocity" (velocity even has it's own bar, indicating it must be important) but the guns are HIT SCAN so how could the "bullet" possibly go faster than instant?

Also, you'd think increasing velocity would also increase penetration (because that's how physics works) but it has no effect.

Other than helping with a guns damage fall-off at range, what is the point of Long Barrel?

Are they actually hitscan? The tracer rounds seem to suggest otherwise.

Yes, I've seen the tracers bouncing around too, but AFAIK they're purely visual (added in addition to the hitscan bullet)

I've done some extremely long sniping, and the bullets are definitely instant. There is no bullet drop. There is no travel time.

Unless it's been dropped rather than implemented, it should be hybrid hitscan. At a certain distance, your round turns into an actual projectile with ballistics. As far as how beneficial a long barrel is, my guess is not very. Then again, it is only a point.

There're actually a bullet travel time. So in longer engagement you will need to lead the shot in order to hit. Thing is the enemy still splater blood at long range as if it were hitscan (sometimes). Of course they don't die after that. This make long barrel neccessary wheb sniping long rang (like the long bridge in crossing hideout).

last edited by KiroV_

I'll put what information I remember learning in regard to this:

If the target is within effective range of the weapon, then the game uses hitscan. Once you leave effective range, that's when the bullet drop/travel time starts. For the larger maps this will factor into things. Since all the maps in the current rotation have ranges where the long barrel could be beneficial it's worth experimenting with.

I made this post because I was sitting in Security base on Crossing, sniping people on the hilltop half a map away and getting INSTANT hits. With M16, with sniper rifles, with even an MP7 with a 4x on it. INSTANT hits no matter the gun.

extended barrel should in real life, increase muzzle velocity, increase accuracy, decrease the sound the gun makes ( a little), make less of a fire-ball, also the added weight of the barrel means you should get less recoil. Increasing muzzle velocity should, increase penetration and it also means you don't have to give as much lead on your targets (when the game switches to hang-time >100m). I don't think that an extended barrel would do much for damage/velocity drop off, the air resistance slowing the bullet is a non-constant (faster bullet moves more it resists the movement).

Also the game uses hitscan until 100m and over when it then uses "bullet drop" and "hang time". at least that's what they said.

At the ranges typical for engagement in this game, bullet impacts will seem nearly instant even with realistic bullet travel time implemented. Very rough generalization is a rifle bullet will travel 100 yards in about 0.1 seconds.

Bullet lethality and penetration are both dependent on velocity at impact, so in theory a longer barrel should increase damage. I've no idea how that's implemented though.

I would like to see longer barrel removed from the game or reworked to be actually VISIBLY LONGER.

From a gameplay perspective I dont even understand why a long barrel is even here, its not like we are shooting at ranges that make it that much of a better option, if at all better. Majority of engagements are well within the hitscan ranges of most of these guns.

Compensators/flash hiders and other attachments seem more reasonable since all they need is to screw it on. Guns like the AKM and AK-74 should have the "compensator" come standard since well, they usually come from the factory with the "muzzle brake" on it similar to how the M16/M4 family should have the Flash hider as standard.

I wouldnt want to see a visual change when using the "long barrel" since it would make some guns look very unrealistic to its actual counterpart. I would hate to see someone waving an AK-74 with it, I could imagine how off putting it would make me since I have sitting next to me. But that's just me

@teavice said in What's The Point of Long Barrel?:

From a gameplay perspective I dont even understand why a long barrel is even here

Compensators/flash hiders and other attachments seem more reasonable since all they need is to screw it on. Guns like the AKM and AK-74 should have the "compensator" come standard since well, they usually come from the factory with the "muzzle brake" on it similar to how the M16/M4 family should have the Flash hider as standard.

I agree completely. The "long barrel" option is weird, because it's not an easy modification to most firearms. It would be cool to have as an option for the SCAR, or an ACR if added, but if so then the model would need to change to reflect the different barrel length options.

As-is, the option should just be removed from the game. It's the only attachment in the game that would actually need a armorer to attach.