Make leaning angle not change when moving

Currently, when you lean and stand still you lean at like 30 degrees (just a number, don't know the real degree) but why is that when I want to move and lean the player is forced to like 15 degrees when in motion? The lean angle changes back slightly when you move. I don't like that

Why not just make a consistent lean? So that, if you're walking and leaning you don't lose 15 degrees of the lean angle. Y'all know what I mean? In rainbow six siege you can lean and walk and the lean angle will stay the same. I'd like that to be in this game, it'd make the game more tactical imo

since in the 2014 insurgency when you lean and move, it makes it so you only get half the lean. its more realistic because try leaning 45 degrees and walk for a minute without feeling something in your back. I can clearly see your new to insurgency and this is your first insurgency game

This has bothered me since the last game too. I certainly wouldn't call it more realistic, the current game mechanic absolutely does not mimic the way I'm used to moving in CQB.

TBH the leaning mechanic was totally broken in Rainbow 6 Siege for the longest time and it turned the game into a leanfest. Literally every firefight looked like some sort of weird dance because all players involved are tapping Q and E as fast as humanly possible to throw off peoples aim...while the act of throwing your body around and leaning all over the play somehow didn't have ANY effect on the players stamina, or aim.

In fact, It's such a huge thing in that game (quick peeking) that people would spend HOURS trying to learn how. And getting super sad when they finally (somewhat) fixed it

last edited by AMURKA

@maa_bunny said in Make leaning angle not change when moving:

This has bothered me since the last game too. I certainly wouldn't call it more realistic, the current game mechanic absolutely does not mimic the way I'm used to moving in CQB.

I don't believe you :P.

I love the lean mechanic in Sandstorm.

The reason leaning is nowhere near as effective while moving is simply because it's heavily abusable otherwise. Someone mentioned R6S and that's a pretty good example. Anyone trying that shit here quickly learns that you only lean about half as much and move half as fast.

That being said, you can still move-lean and peek a corner, but you're probably just better off pushing up to the corner and then doing a lean while stationary.

@MarksmanMax

I agree.

I am wary of it becoming an abuseable mechanic and I find that moving and tapping to lean when necessary can be more effective for what it is meant to do anyway. I recall that there was a pretty good video on the technique a couple of years ago.

Huh, that makes sense I guess, I've never even thought to abuse a lean mechanic. Maybe that's why I suck as R6 Siege so bad ...

It makes pieing off a corner really wacky though. Rather than moving smoothly around a corner to contact it ends up being this wacky motion of back-and-forth that's quite frustrating.

@maa_bunny It really doesn't though. You can still lean and walk your way around the corner, checking angles...you're just not going to do it at max lean.

@amurka Yes but if you quickly stop to shoot at someone the mechanic throws off your aim, it's annoying tbh

@maa_bunny Yep, I just want NWI to remove the "back-and-fourth" mechanic thing

@lucjocwhite That's really the only problem I have with the mechanic, yeah. They should smooth out the animation more so it's less of a jerking motion.

@lucjocwhite said in Make leaning angle not change when moving:

@amurka Yes but if you quickly stop to shoot at someone the mechanic throws off your aim, it's annoying tbh

Exactly. If I'm pieing a corner and encounter a threat, I will stop and engage that threat. The current lean mechanic means that when I do stop, with a threat in front of me, the lean shift causes me to move to expose more of my body to return fire.

To combat that I'll usually take a corner in small segments at a time, which results in a really wack back-and-forth motion. Lean in, move out, lean out; lean in, move out, lean out. It's not realistic at all.

Devs DO NOT change lean mechanic. If I wanted to dance while shooting I'd play R6:Siege.

This version of the lean mechanic promotes you already having the positional advantage, which is what this game's focus should be about (and it was the focus in the previous game).

The 2 stage leaning is currently so bad that i don't even use it because it just puts me at a disadvantage.

@amurka
You cant really compare Siege with Insurgency. Also speed peeking had not so much to do with leaning, than it had (and still has) to do with 3 speed Operators and the overall Peekers Advantage due to the netcode. This has somewhat improves in Siege but it is still a thing, especially with players that have a high ping.

Personally I am slightly annoyed with the lean, because you cant do things you can do in most other games. Calling this abuse is also not correct since the mechanic would be available for all players. It would be abuse if it is connected to things like netcode abuse.

From my experience there is a peekers advantage in Insurgency Sandstorm, but I have no hard facts for it and so it is just a assumption. Apart from this you dont need that lean, because you can just speed peek without it due to the movement speed.