Memory leak or crazy abnormal Vram usage?

My game has crazy VRAM usage! I have a gtx 1080 and with everything on low on a 1440p screen i get 7.5gb of vram usage when textures are on very high! Sometimes it crashes when it exceeds 7.7gb.

I thought it was memory leak but vram returns to 2.4gb between matches.

My friend has 980ti sli and his game exceeds his 6gb cap on just High textures, which also results in a crash.

I mean the textures in this game shouldnt be larger than any game ive ever played lol. (Bf1 does not exceed 6gb on everything ultra at 1440p and 120 resolution scale).
The game still looks bad with everything maxed out.
Especially since it seems they keep removing graphic settings/features to optimize.

And yes it seems that this is a thing! The game has gotten noticeably worse looking with every patch, they took out all the AA options, which can be added back with engine.ini edits btw.

My game has also since the start had this wired bug where the graphics settings look like they change during gameplay and this super dark contrast or outlines kick in.
Making the game look like a phone's camera filter has been added, like a cartoon filter lol. This has happened since the alpha and continues today.

Btw im on windows 10 pro x64 all upto date.

6700k @ 4.5ghz
Asus strix Gtx 1080 stock.
Corsair vengence 16gb 3000mhz ddr4
Asus Z170 pro gaming
Game and OS are on different kingston SSD's
Corsair 750watt psu.

I am running everything on minimal at 1080p with a gtx 1050 ti which has 4096MB vram and the game will always run between 3800-4050MB of VRAM on minimal at 1080p which is just unreasonable. there needs to be some serious optimization because my cpu and gpu usage do not go over 50% but i get 20-30 fps and it freezes every two seconds.

I know its crazy! Must be a bug or vram leak as i played Battlefield 5 last week and that game has higher res textures amd bigger maps and my gtx 1080 didnt go over 4gb Vram with everything set to max on 1440p screen.

Its deffo a problem, but theres not enough people talking about it as i think they dont realise as most people dont or dont know how to monitor VRAM

@dirteebreaks said in Memory leak or crazy abnormal Vram usage?:

I know its crazy! Must be a bug or vram leak as i played Battlefield 5 last week and that game has higher res textures amd bigger maps and my gtx 1080 didnt go over 4gb Vram with everything set to max on 1440p screen.

Its deffo a problem, but theres not enough people talking about it as i think they dont realise as most people dont or dont know how to monitor VRAM

I was able to play BFV too on my 1440p all set to ultra on a 980ti and i7 6700k and it runned waaaaay better than sandstorm, lol.
My vram usage also is damn high. waay to high.
If I can play BFV in Ultra @1440p there's much room left for Sandstorm to optimize.

Yeah BFV was using less than 4gb ram for me with 1440p everything ultra

It hivered around 3.7gb vram

Sandstorm used 7.4gb vram with everything set to low but textures on very high.

I know i can lower the textures to gain vram but an 8gb card should handle prety much any game with textures set to max on a 1440p screen.

I want this issue to be fixed so i can crank up other settings that only use Vram

Haven't tried the latest patch yet, but before that on FullHD resolution, with High texture settings and the Texture Streaming Pool Size set to 3GB, my VRAM usage was around 3-3,5GB on an R9 290

Have you guys tried decreasing the Texture Streaming Pool Size?

yeah i have tried all the different sizes,

even with the lowest one 400mb im still over 7gb vram

Me to ryzen 5 1600x and gtx 1080
Got about 7.8 gb vram usage its insane and something is wrong

I have rx 460 gpu and was getting 55fps average with everything on low/off.
then i bumped the anisotropic filtering to 8x from amd control panel and, surprise, i reached 80fps average!
I think the game settings are messed up.
Use ur nvidia control panel and experiment with settings.
Btw the AA from amd panel doesn't work, edit from Engine.ini is the only thing i seen as working, so keep experimenting.

Already done that the game looks and runs great but its only the vram usage its way to high

The memory pool size option doesn't do shit atm you can set it to 400mb and it will still use most if not all available Vram

@fattmedic I set mine to 400mb now it only uses 3.3gb of vRam at least I can play now!

So I've played a bit after the newest patch. VRAM usage is at 3,8-3,9 GB, technically it's maxing out now regardless of texture settings.

My VGA has 8GB. I set the game to use texture pool to 3Gb.
When the game is running, the MSI Afterburner shows the memory usage reaching 7160MB! That seems too much. The game crashes sometimes, but this problem is not related to memory use it seems, because I tried other smaller memory texture pool sizes and the game still crashes.

last edited by Shadoware

I havent checked my usage in game actually but running i7 8700k (no oc), 16gb ram and an aorus 1080ti waterforce WB card on all highest settings hasnt caused that many issues for frame rate, I guess I am just spoilt.

Then again ping is my issue which could be covering up a low fps.

I have 16GB RAM, ~2GB Pagefile on SSD and a 980Ti (6GB VRAM) with the texturepoolsize set to 3GB and textures on high yet I get this: alt text(From top: Pagefile+RAM, RAM, VRAM)

I keep crashing at random, just now during side switch and I'm pretty sure it has to do with memory.

Is there a way to limit how much RAM the game should max use?

@dirteebreaks said in Memory leak or crazy abnormal Vram usage?:

My game has also since the start had this wired bug where the graphics settings look like they change during gameplay and this super dark contrast or outlines kick in.
Making the game look like a phone's camera filter has been added, like a cartoon filter lol. This has happened since the alpha and continues today.

That's the suppression effect.

You are right! This suppression effect looks like turd! Ir makes all tge edges go thick black and happens especially when smoke or nades go off.

As for lowing your VRAM the best way is to lower your Texture quality. (And possibly resolution or FOV)
But the point of this thread is that max textures in a game like this should NOT be using soo much Vram.
As the maps are not that large and the textures are not that great.

BFV and battle royale games that have higher quality textures and much larger maps are not using anyway near the amount of Vram this game uses.

RAM usage is under 4GB even when changing texture streaming pool size.

Baseline GPU vram usage before opening game:
0_1537429766386_1fbc0feb-7a1e-4c9f-b030-4bf18ea8a42d-image.png

GPU vram usage on summit (first 5 minutes):
0_1537429719764_eb976044-0b0d-4219-a0a8-4e7578be357a-image.png

Note that windows is on the C drive and the game is on the S drive. These are both SSDs.

In game settings:
Resolution: 2560x1440
FoV: 75
AA: off
Texture: Very High
Effect: Low
Foliage: Low
Shadow: Medium
Post Process: Medium
Texture streaming pool size: 5GB
Dynamic Shadow Resolution (DSR): 2048x2048
Cascaded Shadow Map Resolution (CSM): 2048x2048

Changing texture streaming pool size to 400MB and DSR and CSM to 512x512 will give vram usage of 8.2/16GB. Subtracting from the baseline of 4GB it is 4.2GB. (The baseline is from other applications running the background.)

last edited by Kraeyq

if you are using a nvidia gpu, make sure to use at least driver version 398.82

from the changelog:
{Unreal Engine 4]: Resource creation leak occurs in the driver when running Unreal Engine 4 games. [2204854]

@lt_delay I have used every new Nvidia driver (installed after using DDU) since then the same thing happens, lets hope the vram issue is fixed when they bring out the next patch (with hopefully UE4 4.2)