Interesting observation regarding occasional lag during online play.

Game play is butter smooth on my end, but I'll have a burp / glitch every now and then in Multi-Player (regardless of settings). I've noticed one thing though, It's not usually when a ton of stuff is going on visually for me... It happens occasionally during sound FX, like when team-mate blows up the objective.

Examples:

(1). I was running in room alone (no windows), but was lagged when the explosion SND-FX went off even though I'm not displaying the visual FX of explosion.

(2). I was taking cover behind wall, a team-mat nades a room across the street which resulted in very brief lag/hitch (about 1/10th of a second). Again, I'm not viewing the explosion / debris visual FX.

last edited by Meatsac

@meatsac

I believe there is something wrong with how sounds are loaded that causes very noticable performance issues. They probably know, since as far as I remember some of the past patch notes mentioned turning some audio fx off. But good thing to have reports like yours to confirm it still is an issue.

Interesting observation indeed, I will need to keep an eye on the sounds played during my ping spikes. On top of my consistently unexplained high ping 😕

Yea, an easy way to test it is have friend / team-mate blow up objectives while you run around near by with back turned to explosion visual FX. Again, it's doesn't happen all the time but occasionally enough to notice.

Yesterday evening I did find a bug where any radio transmissions (not voice comms) were replaced by only a radio ending noise. Whenever this happened I did find a ping spike of 50 or so, simply restarting fixed it. Perhaps this is a related issue?

I wonder if there is a log we can get access to that might shed light on this that isn't just the console?

Perhaps I was spamming for an observer too much... one commander and 3 observers in the game and they always seem to run for the hills haha

Interesting,
~
I'll have to test that out, I haven't used radios yet. The 1000 dollar question will be if the two are connected (a sound FX / sound playback issue) or if it's separate glitch all together.

@haggison said in Interesting observation regarding occasional lag during online play.:

Yesterday evening I did find a bug where any radio transmissions (not voice comms) were replaced by only a radio ending noise. Whenever this happened I did find a ping spike of 50 or so, simply restarting fixed it. Perhaps this is a related issue?

I wonder if there is a log we can get access to that might shed light on this that isn't just the console?

Perhaps I was spamming for an observer too much... one commander and 3 observers in the game and they always seem to run for the hills haha

Ok,
~
I tried but couldn't get the same sound issue / graphics hitching with radio coms, however, it happened on my friends end while playing with him a couple of times. I still get the occasional lag / hitch during sound FX, but it's not tied to a specific map location, but more often when multiple of sound Fx are being played back.
~
I even tried different configurations with audio hardware at Samples Per Buffer of: 16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 at 44100,48000,88200,96000 kHz... Sandstorm didn't like 88.2 and 96kHz but it was to be expected (most games don't). Either way, regardless of hardware settings, the issue popped up every now and then.

Three things I've noticed on sounds.

1. I went from 16 Gigs of ram to 32 and that seemed to fix most sound issues (I also load into the game much faster)
  2. I still have issues hearing my weapon at times (this is now a rare issue after I added more ram)
  3. At times when the .50 on the back of the pickup is firing, it will be in front of me but the sound is coming from behind me or vise versa (my friends in teamspeak tell me they are hearing the same)

@rampart said in Interesting observation regarding occasional lag during online play.:

Three things I've noticed on sounds.

1. I went from 16 Gigs of ram to 32 and that seemed to fix most sound issues (I also load into the game much faster)
  2. I still have issues hearing my weapon at times (this is now a rare issue after I added more ram)
  3. At times when the .50 on the back of the pickup is firing, it will be in front of me but the sound is coming from behind me or vise versa (my friends in teamspeak tell me they are hearing the same)

Yea, I have 32gb of ram also (makes a huge difference with games & apps). I'll also have sound coming from wrong directions at times (not too-too bad though).

last edited by Meatsac