FireFight Fuel Truck Location Ideas

It's become very clear to me that when the fuel trucks are always in the same spot every time, players will ALWAYS find a way to cheese a win, either by finding a pixel-perfect RPG peek at the truck from a long way off, or simply by rushing it at the beginning of the map. Or perhaps someone posts a Youtube video of "If the commander calls in mortars on THIS spot it will kill the enemy truck every time" and suddenly one teams truck blows up within 30 seconds of EVERY match.

It seems odd to me that the enemy team somehow has pinpoint accurate intel on where their opponents fuel trucks are. And I think it would be more fun if its location was not always the same, and it didn't appear on the map of the enemy at the start of a game.

Suggestion:

• Randomize the fuel-truck locations
  • Require a player to have line of sight to the enemies truck for 2 seconds before they begin a radio call to their HQ to help spot it on the map for their team. (after they call it in on their radio, like an observer or commander would)
  • Killing the player who spotted the truck before the call is complete means the truck doesn't appear on the map

Just these few changes alone would add a great amount of variety and increase the amount of recon and teamwork require to find and blow up the Fuel Truck. Without something like this, it's ALWAYS just going to be cheese

last edited by AMURKA

@amurka said in FireFight Fuel Truck Location Ideas:

It seems odd to me that the enemy team somehow has pinpoint accurate intel on where their opponents fuel trucks are. And I think it would be more fun if its location was not always the same, and it didn't appear on the map of the enemy at the start of a game

This would be awesome. +1 please implement.

The team should search for the truck every time.

That doesn't seem very feasible.
What I mean by that is that it would be always some very obvious locations, as putting that truck randomly would always give one team a bigger advantage than the other.
Even with trying to find it. I think that the truck should be change by an ammo cache and hidden inside a building with no window. Place that building very close to the teams spawns and it becomes a very hard objective to blow up. Forcing players to come up with actual strategies to take them down.
Even with the last two suggestions, it's still too easy to blow up the fuel trucks. And the trucks seekers would be armed with rockets. I personally think fuel trucks are just too obvious and the map designs makes them too vulnerable, thus my suggestion.

last edited by Best Waifu

Even if there were three possible locations and it switched between them, it would eliminate the problems outlined by op.

@best-waifu said in FireFight Fuel Truck Location Ideas:

What I mean by that is that it would be always some very obvious locations, as putting that truck randomly would always give one team a bigger advantage than the other.

Well it's not my fault that they decided to use totally asymmetrical maps meant more for Coop than vs. modes... And I never said it would totally eliminate Fuel Trucks blowing up, just making it harder to do.

Sure some people would memorize all the randomized locations, but at least they'd have to do that extra work, instead of just going to the same exact place for each map every time. And I think it would add some more fun and strategy to the gamemode that is severely lacking in it.

last edited by AMURKA

@amurka Wow, I'm not pointing fingers relax. I do agree with your grief about the fuel trucks. I just disagree with your solutions.

As I said, I think the fuel truck should be replaced by a bunker with a weapon cache close to team's spawns. This removes the nonsense of randomize locations, even with predetermined locations it will always give a team some unfair advantages. And those bunkers would be hard to assault, protected against artillery and requires strategy and skills to take down rather than dumb luck.

I like randomized locations more, because even if there's only 3 lets say, it still makes every match unique and makes sure that people can't come up with memorized, optimized attack plans.

last edited by thehappybub

@thehappybub said in FireFight Fuel Truck Location Ideas:

and makes sure that people can't come up with memorized, optimized attack plans.

This. This is exactly what I'd like to fix. The memorized, fully optimized go-to always-1st-choice attack plans that will ALWAYS stay the same and make the game mindless and stale unless something else changes. Otherwise the game just becomes "which team could follow through with the totally predictable, always the same, attack plan first?"

Even on Coop I'd like to fix that, possibly with randomized objective locations and/or objective types...and even randomized bot spawns ...so lvl 80 players won't just have everything memorized and run ahead to what they KNOW will be the next objective, and shoot the bots that always come from the same locations...etc

last edited by AMURKA

@thehappybub said in FireFight Fuel Truck Location Ideas:

it still makes every match unique and makes sure that people can't come up with memorized, optimized attack plans.

3 predetermined locations will make people remember optimized attack plans that works far better than what they'd have to do in my proposed solution. Because you can't defend your truck with this randomization. It makes it so easy to blow up the truck. And the commander can still cheese in artillery.

My solution is far better as it allows the teams to set up effective defences around the cache. It will always force the opposite side to adapt their strategy on the fly if an effective defence was organized. That will make those matches truly unique.

@best-waifu but even if you have a plan per each of 3 possible locations you still have no way of knowing at which of the three locations the fuel tank could be at. You'd still have to find it first. Your proposition is still one location which will always be inferior to a randomization. The only reason I'm saying 3 locations is because there's only so many places you could feasibly place a fuel truck on the map.

I would agree with a bunker if that bunker was also randomized to at least 3 different possible spots. Fuel truck, cache, bunker whatever, the point is it should be randomized kind of like hostages in siege.

You mean skirmish yes?

Not a bad idea.

last edited by Link