Racism and toxic behavior

I'm hearing a lot of "n word" usage in the game, even from a kid or two who've somehow managed to sign up and play the game. I would like a way to be able to report behavior forbidden by Steam policy.

How about grow some balls. Im not even being "toxic" here. This is just pure soy.

So what would we do if someone is actively trying to urge one player to kill another player IRL? Just mute? What if people plot an actual terrorist attack? Just mute?

@snuffeldjuret when did we reach the point of arguing with ridiculous edge-cases? That way you can "argue" everything.

last edited by Benz

@benz if it is obvious for ridiculous edge-cases, then the question becomes about where the line is drawn between "just mute" and "well, something has to be done". Where would you draw the line?

last edited by Snuffeldjuret

@snuffeldjuret So.... you expect a small indie studio like NWI to work through a shit-ton of reports, most of them will be troll-reports anyways, and then actually keep all the evidence, just for that 0.005% chance that someone might actually plot a terrorist attack through voice communication in an online game? In a match that lasts....20 minutes? You want them to work through tons of 20+ minutes of demos, just because some idiot troll-reported? Just to find nothing? Are you gonna pay them to do that ridiculous work? Or who?

That's some next level fantasy story right here.

Be realistic and rational.

last edited by Benz

@benz I expect nothing, I asked a question. One that you clearly had no interest in answering. What was the purpose of that tirade really? What was the value it added to the conversation?

@snuffeldjuret i didn't answer it because i'm not interested in some highly fictional edge-case scenarios.

@benz then read again because that was not the question I asked you specifically. Do I have to quote myself?

@snuffeldjuret since you really seem to wanna go that route: that question is stupid. Just because there's a theoretical case where actions should be taken, doesn't mean there's a practical solution to it that's reasonable and economic. The most reasonable and economic way of handling this is AI that a) scans the chat of games and b) voice recognition for voice-comms.

Oh look... that'd be... freaking expensive as shit. While it's a) reasonable it's not b) economic for NWI. Maybe for Google it might be.

Go ahead, tell me more how a report system would actually work and solve anything.

PERSONALLY i'd love to have actions taken against racism online and other extremes. Doesn't mean there's a good solution for it. Hint: reporting isn't. Feel free to change my mind on how reporting is a reasonable and economic solution.

@benz dude, you need to take a chill pill. Don't take out your bottled up anger on me!

Again, you are not answering my question. I am a bit puzzled why you invite people to have a rational discussion with you when you obviously steer away from acting rational yourself. Your attitude sucks as well :P.

@snuffeldjuret What? You asked where i'd draw the line. I literally answered in the last paragraph.

Nice dodge on the rest though. Better go attack me personally rather than actually address my points and make your case. It's easier. I understand.

last edited by Benz

@benz said in Racism and toxic behavior:

@snuffeldjuret What? You asked where i'd draw the line. I literally answered in the last paragraph.

Nice dodge on the rest though. Better go attack me personally rather than actually address my points and make your case. It's easier. I understand.

"PERSONALLY i'd love to have actions taken against racism online and other extremes" isn't an answer to the my question though, if that is what you were referring to. A line between two things, what is OK and what is not OK.

I am not dodging the rest. I have learnt that there is no use in letting erratic people pull you around in i discussions. I don't want to talk about practical solutions because I don't know what the ideal situation is, this discussion is not ready for that part yet. I also don't find it a good use of my time since it is not up to me what is practical and not.

Oh no, did you get sad when I met your unfriendliness with being unfriendly myself? Take a look at yourself in the mirror dude.

@snuffeldjuret

Just whooooosh. Like... not even sure anymore if you are trolling right now or not tbh.

How is saying what i don't find ok not answering your question of... "A line between two things, what is OK and what is not OK.". Like.... what?! 😂 I literally told you what i don't find ok. What else do you want?! Crazy. Really.

Funny how now you say "I don't want to talk about practical solutions because I don't know what the ideal situation is" when the thing that started all this was you saying

@snuffeldjuret said in Racism and toxic behavior:

So what would we do if someone is actively trying to urge one player to kill another player IRL? Just mute? What if people plot an actual terrorist attack? Just mute?

So, you don't want to talk about solutions, but ask some highly rethorical question about a solution. Makes sense.

Thanks for the discussion. 😂

@benz I think you would easily understand me if you didn't try to act superior.

To define a line between two things, you have to say something about what is under the line as well as over the line. If you only mention something that is not accepted behavior, you have only mentioned something that is over the line. I have literally no idea what you think is accepted behavior. I assume you think saying "hello" is, but that is hardly close to where you might draw the line.

Pointing out a potential flaw in that suggested solution (made by 2 out of 2 people) as a way to take a step back and ask the question if there is a situation where we would not be satisfied with that suggested solution is not the same as wanting to delve into a huge discussion about practical solutions. It is all about putting a pin in the discussion about solutions and instead shifting focus to actually understanding the issue. To solve a problem you have to know the problem. If you think trying to define a problem is worth nothing I don't know what to tell you.

To be totally honest with you @snuffeldjuret, I find any kind of censorship of what people say to be highly concerning, whether it be racist, homophobic, what have you. People should be able to say whatever they want to and in the U.S. at least, I thought this was a right that people held to the highest esteem, even if they didn't like, or even were offended, by what was said.

The current political climate in the U.S. and the way social media has reacted to it concern me as well. But we're not here to talk politics.

Whatever a person might be saying can be broken down into two categories: (1) I don't mind listening (2) I don't want to listen. That's it! Only those two categories! The answer to the second category is mute them!

It's not NWI's or really anyone's responsibility to be patrolling the chats of games for immoral, politically incorrect, or insulting phrases and clobbering all the trolls with the hammer of social justice. The bottom line is that if you don't want to hear something, it should be very easy for you to shut it out, that's it.

@snuffeldjuret if you believe people are actually planning a terrorist attack or murder (and you're somehow certain they aren't joking), might I suggest calling the police?

You all know the mute is currently broken right?

@thehappybub Hands-off moderating does not work unless you're aiming to have a community of racists and neo-nazis.