What is going on with competitive matchmaking?

Why is no one playing competitive?

It seems to work, because when there are more than 10 people searching I usually get a game within a few minutes. But usually there are less than 10 people searching for a competitive game and hundreds searching for the other two modes.

Is there something wrong with it or are people just not interested?

I think competitive is by far the most fun mode, so it's a shame that I never get to play it.

If I'm not mistaken, there's only a few thousand total players right now, since the game is still in Beta. Meaning at any given time, seeing 400 people or more means over 25% of the player base is online. That's a pretty impressive statistic in itself. Frankly, I'm surprised they included competitive at all since the game is in Beta. How much competition can really be had from a few hundred or thousand randoms?

The main reasons people aren’t playing competitive (including myself even though I played in the DGL in Insurgency) is because of the longer queue times and the bug where the server doesn’t realize if someone fails to connect and forces everyone else to wait out the 3 minute connection timer before they can requeue.

I agree that competitive is the most fun game mode for me, but currently it’s not worth the wait when I can just find a firefight match in 20 seconds and be garaunteed a match.

What’s funny is that the reason the queue time is relatively long is because no one is queuing because the queue time is long. Quite the paradox.

@eyeofhorus said in What is going on with competitive matchmaking?:

What’s funny is that the reason the queue time is relatively long is because no one is queuing because the queue time is long. Quite the paradox.

Yeah that was my suspicion. Just wasn't sure if it was actually broken or something.

Maybe people will get tired of slaughtering bots one day and flock to competitive...

@weenie-bot
I have no doubt that competitive will become more popular once the game is fully optimized and matchmaking is improved. I think if NWI added incentives for playing comp, that a lot more players would be willing to play.

I agree, I have honestly sort of gotten tired of the regular coop/versus stuff already. It is not really thrilling, at least not compared to competitive. I'd rather do something else while queueing and play the competitive I can get :).

@snuffeldjuret
I’d be down for a deathmatch type waiting lobby

@eyeofhorus said in What is going on with competitive matchmaking?:

forces everyone else to wait out the 3 minute connection timer before they can requeue

That's my reason.