Paid DLC for cosmetic

Regarding the microtransaction discussion, will there be plans to have "Paid DLC"?

The paid dlc would work like this. We get unique cosmetic that can get you the higher quality items that can only be unlocked via a purchase or it can get you instance access to that item without trying to grind through the game. It should be roughly cost me around $5 to $8 USD, it would be a great alternative way to support NWI directory instead of using the microtransaction in place.

As long as they don't put in Loot Boxes, Pay to Win crap, and all the repetitive progression system, I'm cool with that idea.

I wouldn't mind a season pass option too. $10 for 4 months and money goes into development and some tournament. set it up like Dota2 where the community in the workshop can help make items. keeps everyone engaged. They could add a mini-tournament mode for pass holders too.

Yes sir I agree with that suggestion and what better wording could be used. "Paid DLC". I would grow to hate a game if I ever find myself in a grind. Time is money, save me the time of making a game less fun by paying money to spend less time playing it. Ahem, Far Cry 5 lol. Petty me. I would though and hint hint nudge nudge say no more..

Well, i hope they have a plan for getting more money flowing continuously. Matchmaking infrastructure costs money... and i want good matchmaking servers. I'd be willing to throw 10€ per month at them for offering a good experience.

Mikee talked about it in this recent youtube developer Q&A. I don't remember the time stamp, but IIRC, we will have the option to pay and get skins as a way to support them and not have to grind.

Don't encourage microtransactions please. Just let everything in the game be available to everyone.

@maxxamann said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

Don't encourage microtransactions please.

As much as I hate 🅱ortnite, one thing I think they did really well was limit microtransactions to cosmetics. This is a really good concept that has obviously worked out for them really well and honestly doesn't affect the player that much unless they really want to look snazzy (which I guess a lot of people do).

With that said, I would support mircotransactions for cosmetics, especially if I knew my purchase would be going to a developer I like, such as NWI. It'd almost be like a donation of sorts, except not really. I think the people supporting purchase-able cosmetics in this game are coming off of the donating to the developer mindset more than anything.

last edited by thehappybub

@thehappybub said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

@maxxamann said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

Don't encourage microtransactions please.

As much as I hate 🅱ortnite, one thing I think they did really well was limit microtransactions to cosmetics. This is a really good concept that has obviously worked out for them really well and honestly doesn't affect the player that much unless they really want to look snazzy (which I guess a lot of people do).

With that said, I would support mircotransactions for cosmetics, especially if I knew my purchase would be going to a developer I like, such as NWI. It'd almost be like a donation of sorts, except not really. I think the people supporting purchase-able cosmetics in this game are coming off of the donating to the developer mindset more than anything.

No. Games should not have micro transactions at all. If I buy a game, I should be able to expect what I pay to be the final price, and not be pressured or expected to give them more money after buying the game. Some time ago there was a post asking for micro transactions to be replaced by a donate button, and I would be perfectly fine with that. As the guy you quoted said, don’t encourage micro transactions. There’s really not much in it for you.

@tooth-decay said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

replaced by a donate button

Who's actually gonna hit a donate button though? I don't hit those even if its going to kid's cancer research. Getting something small and relatively meaningless in return for a donation just makes it nice and encourages it. If it was phrased as a donation as opposed to a dlc it'd be even better.

Overall, I agree that I should be getting what I pay for the first time around. My point about 🅱ortnite is a little unfair I guess because the game was f2p to begin with...

@thehappybub said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

@tooth-decay said in Paid DLC for cosmetic:

replaced by a donate button

Who's actually gonna hit a donate button though?

Because People argue that they should include micro transactions so they can support the devs. So if that’s true, I’m going to assume a donate button would be best for them, since it doesn’t hurt the game.

last edited by Tooth Decay

@thehappybub Fortnite didn't invent cosmetic-only microtransactions...

[cries in TF2]

Also Sandstorm costs $30 more than Fortnite.

last edited by cyoce

@cyoce No I understand. I'm just saying (1) it'd be nice if they implement a small way to donate to them that isn't just a button (2) if they did release microtransaction cosmetics I wouldn't be super mad personally.

@ldclaudius There is no plans for paid DLC at this point.